The Student Room Group

Very Poor A-level results - NEED ADVICE

I got CDD in my A2 results for university and wanted to study computer science and I have recieved an offer from Brunel University through clearing for a foundation course then go into year 1 of computer science however I am also looking at potential apprenticeships. I am worried that employers will not hire me due to poor A-level results however, brunel is a good university with good job prospects and I am planning on working extremely hard at uni. Re-taking is an option but I would prefer to either get to UNI or start apprenticeships but re-taking is a possibility. Please leave any feedback/advice possible thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jay2kt
I got CDD in my A2 results for university and wanted to study computer science and I have recieved an offer from Brunel University through clearing for a foundation course then go into year 1 of computer science however I am also looking at potential apprenticeships. I am worried that employers will not hire me due to poor A-level results however, brunel is a good university with good job prospects and I am planning on working extremely hard at uni. Re-taking is an option but I would prefer to either get to UNI or start apprenticeships but re-taking is a possibility. Please leave any feedback/advice possible thanks :smile:

As you've said it looks like good prospects if you go to brunel, so the foundation years sounds worth it to me.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
As you've said it looks like good prospects if you go to brunel, so the foundation years sounds worth it to me.

Ok I also wanted to do a foundation at Queen Mary I called them but they said call tomorrow as there might be space
Reply 3

Ok I also wanted to do a foundation at Queen Mary I called them but they said call tomorrow as there might be space
Original post by Jay2kt

Make sure you meet brunels deadline for their offer if you decide to go there.
Reply 5
Make sure you meet brunels deadline for their offer if you decide to go there.

Will do have 3 days from today! Thankyou :smile:
I got similar grades to you and did an engineering foundation year. Do well in your foundation year and degree, your A-Level grades won't matter in the long run.
Reply 7
Original post by Eternalflames
I got similar grades to you and did an engineering foundation year. Do well in your foundation year and degree, your A-Level grades won't matter in the long run.

did you do engineering?
Original post by raman_17
did you do engineering?

I still do Engineering my friend :biggrin:
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Reply 9

What UNI do you go to?
Reply 10
wait so if i do a foundation at brunel and I can transfer anywhere?
Original post by Jay2kt
wait so if i do a foundation at brunel and I can transfer anywhere?

Lol if you want to yes. I emailed like 15 different unis and they let you know whether they'd take you or not and what percentage they want for admission to their course. Apply through UCAS as usual, before the deadline and you should get some offers :smile:

wow, I applied fo Mechanical Engineering and got both offers on results day BUT to get on the course they want me to do an integrated foundation year....so higher/degree apprenticeship for me is highly likely :smile:
Reply 13
Lol if you want to yes. I emailed like 15 different unis and they let you know whether they'd take you or not and what percentage they want for admission to their course. Apply through UCAS as usual, before the deadline and you should get some offers :smile:

Is a Foundation year expensive?
wow, I applied fo Mechanical Engineering and got both offers on results day BUT to get on the course they want me to do an integrated foundation year....so higher/degree apprenticeship for me is highly likely :smile:

Do what you feel is best :smile:

Original post by Jay2kt
Is a Foundation year expensive?

No it's actually £6000, you get funding from student finance as normal.
Reply 15

Why whats wrong with a foundation year?
Reply 16

So I am going to do a foundation year (computer science) at either brunel or essex university and have a few questions.

1. Is a foundation year harder (I am willing to work hard)
2. At brunel its not integrated so I do a foundation year that then allows me to go onto computer science so I pick it after my foundation year where as essex its integrated through. What are the differences like when I get my degree at brunel will it say I did a foundation course where as in essex it won't. Also, will I have to pay for the 1 year seperately at brunel as it isn't one course so I won't get student finance? Also, if I wanna move uni and do the foundation course at brunel then move after is it okay since its a seperate foundation year course whereas if I wanna move from Essex I can't because its integrated?

3. Brunel vs Essex which one is better in my situation
Original post by Jay2kt
So I am going to do a foundation year (computer science) at either brunel or essex university and have a few questions.

1. Is a foundation year harder (I am willing to work hard)

No it's not harder. There is a bit of first year content you might find hard, but it's all manageable. Make sure you revise properly and you should do well.

2. At brunel its not integrated so I do a foundation year that then allows me to go onto computer science so I pick it after my foundation year where as essex its integrated through. What are the differences like when I get my degree at brunel will it say I did a foundation course where as in essex it won't. Also, will I have to pay for the 1 year seperately at brunel as it isn't one course so I won't get student finance? Also, if I wanna move uni and do the foundation course at brunel then move after is it okay since its a seperate foundation year course whereas if I wanna move from Essex I can't because its integrated?

No it won't say that you did a foundation course/foundation year on either. It will just have the BSc Computer Science written when you get your degree. No I'm sure you get funding for the foundation course too, phone up the course reps and student finance just to be sure. My foundation year at Kent was an integrated one and I still moved so it doesn't matter, if you want to move Unis you can do, no one's stopping you.

3. Brunel vs Essex which one is better in my situation

I would go for Essex just looking at League Tables for Computer Science and overall, but you look at what course content suits you better and decide appropriately.
Original post by Jay2kt
Why whats wrong with a foundation year?

idk not feeling it

tenks I will :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest