The Student Room Group

Doing a second masters at UCL. Advice Needed..

Hey,

So i'm just about to enter my final (masters) year at the university of Birmingham studying chemical engineering and due to graduate in 2017.

I've appplied for off-cycle internships but if I don't get an offer I was considering in doing a second one year masters at UCL.

Now being realistic i'm going to get a 2:1 which means the really competitive one year msc courses at LSE, Oxford etc im not going to get in. So i'm thinking about doing a masters in 'Engineering with finance' at UCL which is essentially a masters in engineering project management and finance. My questions to you are:
Can I apply for summer internships now seeing as i may or may not being doing a masters? (even though its unconfirmed)

Is the second masters a waste of time in your opinion?

By the time i finish this degree I will be 24. Is there age discrimination at IBs? Most people will be 21 I presume?

Are there any other one years masters u can recommended that I can study as an Engineer with 2:1?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
One masters is enough. If you really want to another masters degree it should be in finance, IBs like that. As for the age question majority of people are not 21, they are slightly older like 22-24 as they really want somone with work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by Gman786
One masters is enough. If you really want to another masters degree it should be in finance, IBs like that. As for the age question majority of people are not 21, they are slightly older like 22-24 as they really want somone with work experience.

Well it basically is finance. The modules I study are:
Materials and Fatigue
Project Management
Financial institutions and Markets
New and Renewable Energy Systems
Numerical Analysis for Finance
Compliance, Risk and Regulation
Original post by alexjones1994
Hey,

So i'm just about to enter my final (masters) year at the university of Birmingham studying chemical engineering and due to graduate in 2017.

I've appplied for off-cycle internships but if I don't get an offer I was considering in doing a second one year masters at UCL.

Now being realistic i'm going to get a 2:1 which means the really competitive one year msc courses at LSE, Oxford etc im not going to get in. So i'm thinking about doing a masters in 'Engineering with finance' at UCL which is essentially a masters in engineering project management and finance. My questions to you are:
Can I apply for summer internships now seeing as i may or may not being doing a masters? (even though its unconfirmed)

Is the second masters a waste of time in your opinion?

By the time i finish this degree I will be 24. Is there age discrimination at IBs? Most people will be 21 I presume?

Thanks! :smile:

It's not really a second masters, you're basically finishing a four year undergrad programme and are asking about doing a postgrad afterwards.

And you can apply to banks that allow final years to apply to summer programmes, as well as off cycle programmes too. For the ones that don't allow final years to apply, maybe stating that you intend to do a masters would help somewhat - this is the case for JPM and a few others anyway.

Continental European students are usually 23-26 when they first start their grad job in London so I wouldn't imagine age being a factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
It's not really a second masters, you're basically finishing a four year undergrad programme and are asking about doing a postgrad afterwards.

And you can apply to banks that allow final years to apply to summer programmes, as well as off cycle programmes too. For the ones that don't allow final years to apply, maybe stating that you intend to do a masters would help somewhat - this is the case for JPM and a few others anyway.

Continental European students are usually 23-26 when they first start their grad job in London so I wouldn't imagine age being a factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Seeing as you are in the know how from your posts. In your opinions do you think the masters at UCL is worth it?
Original post by alexjones1994
Thanks. Seeing as you are in the know how from your posts. In your opinions do you think the masters at UCL is worth it?

Only if you don't manage to get anything from this round of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
Only if you don't manage to get anything from this round of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks once again :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending