The Student Room Group

Didn't get the grades for medicine and I don't know what I should do now

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on TSR so I'm not really sure how it works. Pretty much my results day didn't go so well and I missed my Predicted A's in biology and chemistry. I really really really want to do medicine. Now I'm in clearing and I have an offer for biomed from Georges and I also have Natural Sciences at Not. I'm really unsure on what I should choose my main worry is what if I don't get into medicine in the end and which degree would benefit me more in that case. Im also thinking of applying overseas during my first year but I'm not sure if i'll get in and if I do i don't even know if ill want to go. Guys really any advice you can give would seriously help me out I am stuck and this outcome was never planned for! Thank you so much in advance
What were your final grades?
You can either resit and apply again, go graduate entry medicine (so apply after your 3 year degree) or go abroad
Reply 2
Hey, I'm in the same position as you right now.
I've done some research, and my advice is if you got ABB or higher, take a gap year, resit some of your exams and reapply. You'd of course have to get higher grades and possibly an A* in one of your subjects in order to get into uni, and only a handful of unis accept resits (Liverpool, Exeter, BSMS, Keele, UEA, Plymouth and Lancaster, I believe), but it's worth a shot and it's a lot easier and less time-consuming than any other option.
Another option would be to go through clearing and apply for a biomed course (or something similar), get a degree and apply for medicine again. Graduate entry is extremely competitive though, but you can apply for a 5 year course after you graduate, too. Plus, if you do biomed at St George's, you can get into the second year of their graduate medicine programme after you graduate, it's really cool, if you decide to choose one of the courses you have offers for, I'd go for St George's.
There's also an opportunity to go abroad, because if you study in a EU country you can practice anywhere in the EU without any problems (as far as I know), however after Brexit I think it's kind of risky because you never know what it's gonna be like in 6 years here.
As you can see, it's not the end of the world! Don't worry about it too much, you'll find a way. If you really wanna be a doctor, you should go for it! PM me if you want any help :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mrs House
What were your final grades?
You can either resit and apply again, go graduate entry medicine (so apply after your 3 year degree) or go abroad

Original post by Arusya
Hey, I'm in the same position as you right now.
I've done some research, and my advice is if you got ABB or higher, take a gap year, resit some of your exams and reapply. You'd of course have to get higher grades and possibly an A* in one of your subjects in order to get into uni, and only a handful of unis accept resits (Liverpool, Exeter, BSMS, Keele, UEA, Plymouth and Lancaster, I believe), but it's worth a shot and it's a lot easier and less time-consuming than any other option.
Another option would be to go through clearing and apply for a biomed course (or something similar), get a degree and apply for medicine again. Graduate entry is extremely competitive though, but you can apply for a 5 year course after you graduate, too. Plus, if you do biomed at St George's, you can get into the second year of their graduate medicine programme after you graduate, it's really cool, if you decide to choose one of the courses you have offers for, I'd go for St George's.
There's also an opportunity to go abroad, because if you study in a EU country you can practice anywhere in the EU without any problems (as far as I know), however after Brexit I think it's kind of risky because you never know what it's gonna be like in 6 years here.
As you can see, it's not the end of the world! Don't worry about it too much, you'll find a way. If you really wanna be a doctor, you should go for it! PM me if you want any help :smile:

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Okay so I have an A* in Maths which is great but the thing that messed me up are my sciences a B in Chem and C in Biology. I was initially planning on taking a gap year but with these grades I really don't think I should. I have sent some for remark but not counting because as I am sure you know we were the lucky year that they chose to make it harder to remark. As for the overseas that is exactly what I was thinking, who knows what it'll be like after 6 years and I was looking at the unit in Europe and they aren't really appealing to me. Could you guys also help and tell me what I could do with a biomed degree in case I don't get into medicine?
Reply 4
Original post by kidas321
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Okay so I have an A* in Maths which is great but the thing that messed me up are my sciences a B in Chem and C in Biology. I was initially planning on taking a gap year but with these grades I really don't think I should. I have sent some for remark but not counting because as I am sure you know we were the lucky year that they chose to make it harder to remark. As for the overseas that is exactly what I was thinking, who knows what it'll be like after 6 years and I was looking at the unit in Europe and they aren't really appealing to me. Could you guys also help and tell me what I could do with a biomed degree in case I don't get into medicine?

Even if you don't get into medicine straight after you finish uni, you could also try the following year if that's what you really want.
You could always go into research or teaching with a biomed degree. Check this website out, it's kind of useless but gives you a general idea: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biomedical-sciences
Good luck :smile:
Reply 5

With biomed degree you can probably pursue further studying, work in research, or take up other general graduate jobs.

Taking a gap year might not be a bad choice, what if you suddenly decide you want to do a maths degree instead(since you got great results in maths?)
Reply 6
hey, if it helps I'm in the same boat as you. I missed out on an A in chemistry by ONE UMS :frown: also missed out on an a* in bio by one ums because our school and coursework sucked. Despite the whole brexit thing, you could try the University of Nicosia in Cyprus as it works in partnership with St. George's in London, so there shouldn't be as much of a problem to come back and work here. However, the tuition fees are way more and obviously we dont get loans which sucks.
Reply 7
Original post by Arusya
Even if you don't get into medicine straight after you finish uni, you could also try the following year if that's what you really want.
You could always go into research or teaching with a biomed degree. Check this website out, it's kind of useless but gives you a general idea: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biomedical-sciences
Good luck :smile:

Thank you! the prospects website is actually really useful!
Reply 8
Original post by Yammy
With biomed degree you can probably pursue further studying, work in research, or take up other general graduate jobs.

Taking a gap year might not be a bad choice, what if you suddenly decide you want to do a maths degree instead(since you got great results in maths?)

Ya that is why I am seriously considering the natural sciences degree. They offered me a place in the Biology, Chemistry and Maths stream and I've been told i can switch streams and go from a BSc to a MSci. I've also heard that it is a great degree but quite tough? Their typical offer is A*AA and they've given me a place with my grades..... (mainly because of my A in EPQ)
Reply 9
Original post by parawitch
hey, if it helps I'm in the same boat as you. I missed out on an A in chemistry by ONE UMS :frown: also missed out on an a* in bio by one ums because our school and coursework sucked. Despite the whole brexit thing, you could try the University of Nicosia in Cyprus as it works in partnership with St. George's in London, so there shouldn't be as much of a problem to come back and work here. However, the tuition fees are way more and obviously we dont get loans which sucks.

OMG I am off in chemistry by 6 UMS and I'm not sure if I should remark...... Thanks for telling me about cyprus didn't know about that! Do you know what you're going to do?
Reply 10
Ya that is why I am seriously considering the natural sciences degree. They offered me a place in the Biology, Chemistry and Maths stream and I've been told i can switch streams and go from a BSc to a MSci. I've also heard that it is a great degree but quite tough? Their typical offer is A*AA and they've given me a place with my grades..... (mainly because of my A in EPQ)

Yeah the natsci offer at notts is definitely quite good imo, since notts is quite a reputable uni in terms of employment. I'm pretty sure it will be hard, then again most STEM degrees are quite tough. It will probably still allow you to do grad entry medicine too, and if that fails your the degree will hopefully help you find a graduate job.

So tbh, your natsci offer>biomed at Georges
Reply 11
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on TSR so I'm not really sure how it works. Pretty much my results day didn't go so well and I missed my Predicted A's in biology and chemistry. I really really really want to do medicine. Now I'm in clearing and I have an offer for biomed from Georges and I also have Natural Sciences at Not. I'm really unsure on what I should choose my main worry is what if I don't get into medicine in the end and which degree would benefit me more in that case. Im also thinking of applying overseas during my first year but I'm not sure if i'll get in and if I do i don't even know if ill want to go. Guys really any advice you can give would seriously help me out I am stuck and this outcome was never planned for! Thank you so much in advance

Hi, I came across this thread last week and I wonder which option you went for in the end?

I didn't apply for medicine myself but I was in a similar situation - aimed 'too high' and missed natural sciences offers at Durham, A*AA and UCL, AAA, because I messed up chemistry and got AAB. I originally applied to Nottingham for nat sci too but I didn't choose it first time around, but through clearing I managed to get a place there for natural sciences again despite my grades (they also wanted A*AA originally!).

I was very disappointed at first for not getting into my first choice especially given the difference in reputation and so whether I'd be happy or not, however I couldn't justify taking a gap year and resitting chemistry or applying to lower courses, so I'm happy I got the same course and now accommodation and everything has been sorted out so I guess I'll be going to Nottingham then!

You can still retake and apply again. Exeter and Lancaster definitely accept retakes, not sure about the other unis but have a look around

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending