The Student Room Group

Hopes of a good uni after AS?

Hey guys, results day just passed and my results were:

English literature - A
Economics - B
General Studies - B (lmao)
Mathematics - D

On the whole I'm relatively happy with 'okay' ABD grades, but I'm planning on retaking C2 and S1, so am I in an okay position to apply to the universities I like (Birmingham, Manchester - Maybe, Aston etc) or has maths ruined it?

*BTW congrats everyone for your results!!

Edit: I'll be applying for AAB-BBB courses if that helps?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump?
Reply 2
Original post by Jerome85
Hey guys, results day just passed and my results were:

English literature - A
Economics - B
General Studies - B (lmao)
Mathematics - D

On the whole I'm relatively happy with 'okay' ABD grades, but I'm planning on retaking C2 and S1, so am I in an okay position to apply to the universities I like (Birmingham, Manchester - Maybe, Aston etc) or has maths ruined it?

*BTW congrats everyone for your results!!

Edit: I'll be applying for AAB-BBB courses if that helps?

Well done! Those aren't bad grades at all. It depends entirely on what your interested in and whether the universities you have looked at consider general studies as an A level (If you choose to take that on) No I guess it just means you will have to work super hard for your retakes. The A2 stuff gets a little more complicated so you want to strengthen as much of your AS Maths. C3 and C4 are just a continuation of each Core module so you want to work on them as much as possible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, definitely :smile: Resits and your performance at A2 (although these grades are still good!) should up those grades if you work hard enough. Some universities may make you alternative offers based on your general studies mark as well (at least they did for my welsh baccalaureate), so that grades not meaningless ^.^
Original post by Jerome85
Bump?

You should be fine, I got BBCD in my AS levels 2 years back and managed to get offers from A*AA unis like Bath, Warwick and Exeter.
Reply 5
Original post by Ninaaaah
Well done! Those aren't bad grades at all. It depends entirely on what your interested in and whether the universities you have looked at consider general studies as an A level (If you choose to take that on)

Thank you! And the only reason I took general studies was because the course at Birmingham - policy, politics and economics (my favourite university) accepted it but I just don't want to be let down by the D in maths
Reply 6
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Yeah, definitely :smile: Resits and your performance at A2 (although these grades are still good!) should up those grades if you work hard enough. Some universities may make you alternative offers based on your general studies mark as well (at least they did for my welsh baccalaureate), so that grades not meaningless ^.^

Thank you so much, I'm glad I took general studies then haha
Reply 7
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
You should be fine, I got BBCD in my AS levels 2 years back and managed to get offers from A*AA unis like Bath, Warwick and Exeter.

That's a relief, thank you
Reply 8
You should be fine, I got BBCD in my AS 2 years back and managed to get offers from A*AA unis like Bath, Warwick and Exeter.

did u resit any of ur As modules?
Original post by Sunethra
did u resit any of ur As modules?

I resat all of my Physics AS modules.
I resat all of my Physics AS modules.

so i am assuming u got a D for physics originally? so after resitting u came to BBCC or? how hard is it to move from a C to A*?
Original post by Sunethra
so i am assuming u got a D for physics originally? so after resitting u came to BBCC or? how hard is it to move from a C to A*?

So when I first got my results I got BBCD in Maths, Physics, Computing and Chemistry respectively. I dropped Computing and Chemistry and picked up FM and decided to do it in 1 year along with my other A2s. I retook my AS Physics exams because I wanted to ensure/maximise my possibility of getting an A. I think after I retook my AS Physics ISA I got an A in AS Physics.

In the end I got A*AB in Maths, Physics and FM respectively.

Quick Reply

Latest