The Student Room Group

Where to apply to?

Hi, I just got my AS results and got the following:

Economics- A
History- A
Physics -C
Maths- C

I worked really hard for maths this year and didn't get what I wanted. Having needed an A* in maths to study economics at LSE, I'm really worried that I've got little to no choice now. Is my dream of applying there gone now?
Original post by Hshibeeb
Hi, I just got my AS results and got the following:

Economics- A
History- A
Physics -C
Maths- C

I worked really hard for maths this year and didn't get what I wanted. Having needed an A* in maths to study economics at LSE, I'm really worried that I've got little to no choice now. Is my dream of applying there gone now?

Unless you resit and apply post-A2 I don't see how you would get an offer from LSE. Do you know why your Maths grade was relatively low given that you worked hard? If you are close to a B a remark might help.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Unless you resit and apply post-A2 I don't see how you would get an offer from LSE. Do you know why your Maths grade was relatively low given that you worked hard? If you are close to a B a remark might help.

It just didnt work out for me, sometimes you work hard and it doesn't go your way. I am really disappointed because my GCSE's were all A*'s and A's, I had high expectations of myself and let myself down. Where do you think would give me an offer for economics?
Original post by Hshibeeb
It just didnt work out for me, sometimes you work hard and it doesn't go your way. I am really disappointed because my GCSE's were all A*'s and A's, I had high expectations of myself and let myself down. Where do you think would give me an offer for economics?

From memory, the top economics courses require an A in Maths at A2 because they tend to be very maths-heavy. If you can get yourself predicted an A at A2 then you might get offers, but would probably need to meet that requirement - difficult from a C, but not impossible.

One alternative would be to look at BA rather than BSc courses because they are less maths-intensive. You have time now, so have a good trawl through courses and their requirements.
LSE tend to ask for Further Maths as well as Maths so it highly unlikely you will get an offer there. However many others care less about Maths so research that and apply to those. You will find many very good universities will accept you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending