The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
Because bell ringing doesn't feel like it dominates. The sound of calls to prayer are very dominating. The shahada asserts that there is only one God; their own. Do you think Hindus will be happy hearing this being blasted out?

Actually as a bell ringer, I know the lyrics to many of the tunes played. Many are in support of white supremacy and very racist. Bell ringing is also done at what could be interpreted as a antisocial hour aka 8 am Sunday morning
Cringe
Original post by Mathemagicien
I would actually be in favour of this, as long as other religions and non-religious groups can blast out their own sounds.

blink 198
Original post by catgirlcatgirl
Actually as a bell ringer, I know the lyrics to many of the tunes played. Many are in support of white supremacy and very racist. Bell ringing is also done at what could be interpreted as a antisocial hour aka 8 am Sunday morning

So you're saying bells can be racist?
Original post by KingBradly
So you're saying bells can be racist?

I am saying they play racist songs
Original post by Trinculo
They do. There are a lot of Islamic phones that have alerts for prayer and also point the user in the right direction.

Then there's no need for that nonsense to be blasted out in the streets.
No ****ing chance.
Original post by ismaell
What so every non-Muslim has to be woken up when they're trying to sleep so that a small majority can know when to wake up when they can just put on an alarm clock? I would find that extremely disrespectful.

Re-read the petition.
Reply 28
Even if you get 1 million signatures the government wouldn't allow it and as a Muslim I'm not going to sign it because the UK is not a Muslim country and we have to respect that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
No ****ing chance.

Why???
As much as it pains me to say, a move like this might continue to fuel the already growing far right in this country. Thinking about it pragmatically, it's not a good time to introduce something like this sadly.
Reply 31
I completely sympathise with your petition. I believe that all religions should be treated equally- why should the Christian call to prayer be allowed (ie. bell ringing) when the Muslim version is not. I just wish the UK could become even more excepting of diversity.

Why? What exactly is wrong with traditional British culture? Why should we feel obliged to dilute our own identity by accommodating cultures that have absolutely no ancestral connection to these lands and have nothing in common with us?

No other countries outside of the West are expected to do this, they maintain and preserve their cultural identities, and nobody tries to stop them or says "Oh, you should be more accepting of diversity". Why are European/Western countries denied this right?

Odd you claim to be a bell ringer but not actually know the times they are rung for the faithful
This idea disgusts me.

The UK is not and will never be a Muslim country, your religion may be tolerated but it should never be pandered to.
Yes. While we are there why not put a star and crescent on our national flag!!
Reply 35

Oh, please do give us some examples of these "white supremacist" bellringing songs. :teehee:
Nope.
Original post by Wōden
Oh, please do give us some examples of these "white supremacist" bellringing songs. :teehee:

No such thing as a 'bell ringing song' for church bells

They do peals and method ringing (mathematical based)
I am saying they play racist songs

Like what?
Original post by ismaell
What so every non-Muslim has to be woken up when they're trying to sleep so that a small majority can know when to wake up when they can just put on an alarm clock? I would find that extremely disrespectful.

The petition says the call to prayer would be made out of anti-social hours, so it would be unlikely your sleep would be disturbed

Latest

Trending

Trending