The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

What does it specify that it has been rounded to? Significant figures or decimal places?
Reply 1121
Original post by RDKGames
What does it specify that it has been rounded to? Significant figures or decimal places?

Significant figures.

I wrote 345.5 this rounds to 350
And 350.0 this rounds to 350

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Significant figures.

I wrote 345.5 this rounds to 350
And 350.0 this rounds to 350

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay but how many s.f.?
Reply 1123
Okay but how many s.f.?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes it badly worded then. 3 s.f. of a number in the hundreds (100-999) would make it simply a rounding problem to the nearest integer.

You can reword it to "350 has been rounded to the nearest integer, find the upper and lower bounds"

The lower and upper bounds of 350 would be 349.5 and 350.5 as these limits will give 350; which is 350 to 3 s.f.
Reply 1125
That makes it badly worded then. 3 s.f. of a number in the hundreds (100-999) would make it simply a rounding problem to the nearest integer.

You can reword it to "350 has been rounded to the nearest integer, find the upper and lower bounds"

The lower and upper bounds of 350 would be 349.5 and 350.5 as these limits will give 350; which is 350 to 3 s.f.

Yess. I knew it.i was struggling a lot :*(

Posted from TSR Mobile

UB: 350.05 and LB: 349.95

Can you see how these will make it round to 350.00 when considering the first decimal place?
Reply 1128

Can you see how these will make it round to 350.00 when considering the first decimal place?

Yes I remember the 0.05 thing :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1129

So how are these overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

Posted from TSR Mobile

All good.
Reply 1131
All good.

Thank you could you give me one similar question to this Please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1132
All good.

Can you check this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

Posted from TSR Mobile

@RDKGames, are you sure that the UB of b) is correct? 350.0 doesn't sound much like the upper bound of 350, expressed to 3sf/nearest whole number. The lower bound, and the rest, are correct.
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
@RDKGames, are you sure that the UB of b) is correct? 350.0 doesn't sound much like the upper bound of 350, expressed to 3sf/nearest whole number. The lower bound, and the rest, are correct.

Oh woops lol didn't notice that. It should indeed be 350.5. My eye didn't catch that out especially when she rubbed out the 5.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by z_o_e
Can you check this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good.
Oh woops lol didn't notice that. It should indeed be 350.05. My eye didn't catch that out.

350.5, isn't it? It's to the nearest whole number / 3sf. Anyway, I'm being awfully pedantic, sorry.

@z_o_e, another bounds question:

4)

(i) I have two pencils: one is 8cm long and the other is 12cm long, measured to the nearest cm. What are the upper and lower bounds of each of their lengths?

(ii) Using your answers from part (i), what is the greatest possible difference between their lengths?
(edited 7 years ago)
350.5, isn't it? It's to the nearest whole number / 3sf. Anyway, I'm being awfully pedantic, sorry.

tfw edit doesn't work.
Reply 1138

@z_o_e, another bounds question:

4)

(i) I have two pencils: one is 8cm long and the other is 12cm long, measured to the nearest cm. What are the upper and lower bounds of each of their lengths?

(ii) Using your answers from part (i), what is the greatest possible difference between their lengths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
tfw edit doesn't work.

Haha, yeah, that must be annoying. Having read some of your posts, you are very good at explaining. I think I'll let you do the explaining (I think my explanations were too convoluted and confusing) but I'm going to keep posting questions for @z_o_e if she asks for any more.

Quick Reply

Latest