The Student Room Group

A's to E's

(I've posted this once but have come up with a possible conclusion)

GCSE's and Extra Qualifications: 1 A*, 9 A's, 6 B's and 1 C

AS-Levels:
English Language & Literature - D
Biology - E
Chemistry - E
Physics - U
-These do not count towards my A2. And I will also be doing an EPQ this year to get more points.

I'm continuing into A2(dropping Physics) and will be working hard from now till next year. I'm getting tuition and am preparing notes and doing past papers because I will be taking AS exams when I return to school in order to boost my predicted grades. Throughout Year 12, I got A's in my mocks and class exams and am hoping the teachers consider this when recording my predicted grades.

My question is whether this has happened to someone in the past before and whether anyone has actually gone from terrible grades at AS to high grades at A2. I'm hoping to be predicted a CCC in order to get into university without having to retake at another sixth form or switch subjects because I am passionate about the science route as I want to take Biological Sciences at uni. I know where I went wrong and know that the fact that I had family/personal issues during exam season affected my results much more than I thought earlier.

I know this is already a very long post I just want useful advice about whether I'm making the right choice and whether it may be possible to apply to a uni that has requirements of BBB if I do get predicted CCC.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by imanonymous123
(I've posted this once but have come up with a possible conclusion)

GCSE's and Extra Qualifications: 1 A*, 9 A's, 6 B's and 1 C

AS-Levels:
English Language & Literature - D
Biology - E
Chemistry - E
Physics - U
-These do not count towards my A2. And I will also be doing an EPQ this year to get more points.

I'm continuing into A2(dropping Physics) and will be working hard from now till next year. I'm getting tuition and am preparing notes and doing past papers because I will be taking AS exams when I return to school in order to boost my predicted grades. Throughout Year 12, I got A's in my mocks and class exams and am hoping the teachers consider this when recording my predicted grades.

My question is whether this has happened to someone in the past before and whether anyone has actually gone from terrible grades at AS to high grades at A2. I'm hoping to be predicted a CCC in order to get into university without having to retake at another sixth form or switch subjects because I am passionate about the science route as I want to take Biological Sciences at uni. I know where I went wrong and know that the fact that I had family/personal issues during exam season affected my results much more than I thought earlier.

I know this is already a very long post I just want useful advice about whether I'm making the right choice and whether it may be possible to apply to a uni that has requirements of BBB if I do get predicted CCC.

Happens to most people except for the most determined. Fortunately for you, you don't need to retake anything and pay extortionate fees for it. And yes, most people who fall in that trap usually pick up again.

Seriously, I've heard that story so many times that it's funny you have to ask if anyone's been through that before. Lmao :laugh:
Original post by mr.purplelambkin
Happens to most people except for the most determined. Fortunately for you, you don't need to retake anything and pay extortionate fees for it. And yes, most people who fall in that trap usually pick up again.

Seriously, I've heard that story so many times that it's funny you have to ask if anyone's been through that before. Lmao :laugh:

But many people that do go through the same thing, retake and then get the good grades. But I'm skipping the retake part, so I was wondering if it would be even harder for me to just jump into the A2 course with my awful grades.
If you get predicted CCC then its very risky applying to BBB, that's a difference of three grades which I doubt you'd be successful with.
But many people that do go through the same thing, retake and then get the good grades. But I'm skipping the retake part, so I was wondering if it would be even harder for me to just jump into the A2 course with my awful grades.

If your AS don't count towards your final grade, why are you so worried? You just have to revise over last year's content while going through this years.

For example, I didn't understand anything from first year chemistry cause of rubbish teachers, but I understood second year work without too much trouble. And I didn't start revising AS content again until the very end.

You'll be fine. Just focus on this year. You'll find that you understand last year's work better in hindsight.
If your AS don't count towards your final grade, why are you so worried? You just have to revise over last year's content while going through this years.

For example, I didn't understand anything from first year chemistry cause of rubbish teachers, but I understood second year work without too much trouble. And I didn't start revising AS content again until the very end.

You'll be fine. Just focus on this year. You'll find that you understand last year's work better in hindsight.

Thanks, I'm only worried because I've heard about students that go from A's in AS to failing A2 so was wondering how if I can't even pass the first year, how I'm going to make it through the second. I agree with the rubbish teachers part, my teachers were hardly in throughout the year and if they were, they would assume that we already knew the content and would tell us to just read the textbook in the lesson without actually helping us. Or if we asked a question, they would just get confused because they were used to teaching the old Edexcel spec but we had switched to the new AQA spec.
Original post by HopelessMedic
If you get predicted CCC then its very risky applying to BBB, that's a difference of three grades which I doubt you'd be successful with.

Would it be safe to apply for a BCC course at least?
Would it be safe to apply for a BCC course at least?

Tbh it completely depends upon the uni. If your unsure then just drop the admissions tutors at that uni an email and see what they say.
Tbh it completely depends upon the uni. If your unsure then just drop the admissions tutors at that uni an email and see what they say.

If I were to email them, would I have to tell them my actual grades or just my predicted grades?
If I were to email them, would I have to tell them my actual grades or just my predicted grades?

I would tell them your predicted grades, seeing as that's largely what uni's care about. It makes no sense to say your current grades, as they are far from the grades expected at that uni if its BBB-CCC for example.
I would tell them your predicted grades, seeing as that's largely what uni's care about. It makes no sense to say your current grades, as they are far from the grades expected at that uni if its BBB-CCC for example.

Yeah I went ahead with my predicted grades.
Yeah I went ahead with my predicted grades.

Have your teachers already predicted your grades? Usually, the teachers send off their final predictions at around December.

Most people take advantage of the two or three months impressing their new teachers with how they've changed or trying to show they can get the top grades. Teachers will up your predictions if you're consistently doing well in all your homeworks and mocks.
Have your teachers already predicted your grades? Usually, the teachers send off their final predictions at around December.

Most people take advantage of the two or three months impressing their new teachers with how they've changed or trying to show they can get the top grades. Teachers will up your predictions if you're consistently doing well in all your homeworks and mocks.

No they haven't yet but my head of sixth form said they would all be around C due to my grades throughout the year but probably not more. I'll have to wait until school begins again to ask my teachers.
No they haven't yet but my head of sixth form said they would all be around C due to my grades throughout the year but probably not more. I'll have to wait until school begins again to ask my teachers.

Well, if all else fails, just brave through adjustment or clearing. A bunch of my friends got their places like that at top unis like Loughborough, Bristol. Not getting high predicted grades isn't the end of the world. :smile:
You've ****ed it, go for an apprenticeship somewhere like Subway. You know it's an art to do what they do, some even say it can be a science.

Quick Reply

Latest