The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taylor9277
Hi, I had pretty severe extenuating circumstances(sibling got mental illness in my last year of A Levels and parents didn't get her institutionalized) this year. I missed my offer by a lot but did get A*A*A*. I talked to my college and they said they or another college might be able to take me but they can't guarantee anything of course. I just wanted to know how are cases of students with extenuating circumstances looked upon. Have you ever seen someone with EC get accepted even if they missed their offer by 2 grades in a subject(that no colleges require for the course, some do prefer it though), given that their academic record prior to the EC is perfect and they exceed the standard offer? This is for a humanities course. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it must be very disappointing. There have been occasions where I've relaxed the conditions of people with severe ECs and a few where I haven't. It depends on a number of factors. I would have thought that if you reapply with A*A*A for a Humanities subject and ECs then you'll be in a strong position. I'm happy to discuss via private message if you wish.
Original post by Zacken
No clue. Maybe the Christs's AT can shed some light on it if it isn't confidential, I'm rather curious.

I'm not aware of the specific issues beyond it being a marking problem. Not being a mathematician I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help!
Original post by Christ's Admissions
The small number of mistakes have now been rectified and candidates informed. Your results are final and you're in, well done!

Thanks that's reassuring :-)
Original post by Atticusfalls95
I have contacted Wolfson College, regarding the A*A*B and the missing RS paper, and they have suggested that I resit it. It appears the standard age colleges, or at least the ones I have contacted, have suggested leaving the grades as they are as a resit will almost never form part of an offer.

"The mature colleges take a more relaxed attitude towards re-sits, as we understand that life inevitably accrues further complications as it goes on beyond the age of 17. There can be no question of outgrowing A levels: fear not. One simply has to prove competence prior to arrival, and this is currently the most effective method."

I also contacted St. Catharine's whose stance was this:

'because we almost never make offers based on anything other than 3 A-levels sat at the same time, we probably wouldn’t take your RS result into account, other than as evidence of your ability to work independently etc'

I am in a dilemma as to whether to indicate an intention to resit on my UCAS form. It seems admissions tutors have very different stances on this. If need be, I definitely would resit but I feel I wouldn't be moving on with my life in any meaningful way. I feel a single module resit in RS wouldn't serve as much of an indicator of my competence beyond an ability to self-teach A Levels ad infinitum.

In unusual cases, especially those involving mature students, ATs are quite likely to take different views on specific issues. I'd leave it myself but you might want to ask in the mature student thread.
Original post by Fattoun
Hello ,, can you tell me if you know anyone want to study at campridge seminars and did not apply yet ,, even if pre master and english courses ,, i am sorry but it will help me funding mumy study.
Thank you

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question. Could you clarify what you want to know for me? Sorry!
Original post by patientdoctor
Hi there,
I'm applying for economics and I wanted to ask how important is the entrance examination relative to the rest of my application? I feel my grades and personal statement are quite strong. Would Cambridge look at my application and the entrance exam result together or would doing badly in the entrance examination immediately disqualify me from gaining an interview? How big a filter is the entrance exam for all applicants? And finally what's the best way to prepare for the entrance exam?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and thanks for your questions. First of all, it's important to state that it is not an entrance exam, these are admissions assessments. The distinction is important because the assessments are not pass or fail and they will not determine whether you get in. They will be used in conjunction with other information to decide who to call for interview and who will get offers.

As this is the first year that they have been used then it's impossible to say exactly how they will be used in individual subjects, colleges or cases. We don't aim to interview fewer people than we have previously, so they are not going to be used in the same way as the Oxford tests to reduce the field to 2.5-3 applicants for each place. The best way to prepare is to look at the specification, revise the topics in the specification, and to try the practice assessment.
It's really no bother, please don't worry. I'm sorry that your History AS did not go as well as you'd have liked or were expecting. Hopefully the remark will move you to an A. I've taken people for History with a B in History at AS before so it's not inconceivable, though it would be unusual. You will just have to ensure that the rest of your application is very strong. There's no need to give up just yet.

Thank-you! I'll apply then. Even with my poor GCSE grades? I'm paranoid about my GCSE grades coupled with an unexpected underperformance. I'll definitely apply to Cambridge, though. I won't give up just yet :colondollar:

Thanks so much! I better try my hand at the admissions specimen papers then :wink:
Original post by georgiaf
Just wondering about applying to Cambridge for English - I'm holding a place at Durham atm, and not sure about taking a gap year.

English lit A* (400/400 - also full marks)
History A* (388/400)
Latin A (352/400 but pending investigation - seems a little low compared to my expectations)
EPQ A* (47/50 - English-related)

Religious Studies AS: A (194/200)
Plus 10A*s 1A at GCSE. Would these results make me stand out or are they pretty standard for Cambridge? Thanks in advance

Hello and thanks for your question. Congratulations on your results. They are strong, especially in English. A*A*A is about standard for an English entrant though 100% UMS in English acorss the whole A Level will be a significant point in your favour. The big thing you need to do is think about whether you want to give up a place at Durham for a try at Cambridge. it;s a big question and you need to take advice from your school and your parents. certainly think you;d be competitive but there's no guarantee.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Thank-you! I'll apply then. Even with my poor GCSE grades? I'm paranoid about my GCSE grades coupled with an unexpected underperformance. I'll definitely apply to Cambridge, though. I won't give up just yet :colondollar:

Thanks so much! I better try my hand at the admissions specimen papers then :wink:

Best of luck! :smile: You'll just have to leave it to us, the only surety is that if you don't apply, you won't get in.
Best of luck! :smile: You'll just have to leave it to us, the only surety is that if you don't apply, you won't get in.

Hi,
I want to study engineering and was wondering whether it would put me at a disadvantage to drop chemistry. This would leave me with maths, further maths and physics. I got an A in all the subjects with strong ums in maths and further and I am concerned about the volume of work required for chemistry A2 when it is likely not to be included in an offer, though I have heard dropping it would disadvantage me against those keeping it. Please could you advise.
Many thanks
Hi, I was wondering what in particular you look for in a personal statement. Are there any particular extra-curricular activities you like to see that applicants have done?

Also, does competitiveness vary significantly depending on which first-year sciences you pick? When do you pick them?

Thanks.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hey admissions tutor it's just me again.

I'm wondering whether or not I would still stand a chance of getting an offer (or even just an interview) despite my bad GCSE grades (3 A*s 3 B's, 2 C's, 1 D and 1 E) although they have major extenuating circumstances (which I talked about earlier in the week) and cost me 4 years worth of secondary education.

At AS I got:

A - English language
A - English literature
B - History

I've always done well at History so the B came as a shock. I was devastated! I've been the strongest in the cohort, and I even got 60/60 in the AS History paper one in my exam. I didn't drop a single mark! We're sending Paper 2 back for a remark because I was 6 marks from an A grade overall, and I got 15/40 in paper 2. So it seems strange to go from 60/60 to 15/40, especially as I've gotten full marks in every History assignment since Year 8. Including my GCSE!

Is it still worth applying for Cambridge to read History?

I know there will be people with AAA and 11 A*'s at GCSE, which makes my application seem a bit silly. (AAB and only 3 A*'s at GCSE). I just love History so much, and to study it at Cambridge would be such an amazing experience.

A2 predictions will be A*AA-A*A*A, with the A* prediction in History.

Thanks for all of your help, hope I haven't been too much of a bother! :redface:

You're in the exact same position as me! Three marks off an A in History and remarking. Definitely not helped by the fact that History exams were in the afternoons after some soul-destroying Maths exams. Hopefully I'll still get an interview and impress with rest of application via supercurriculars.
Hello and thanks for your question. Congratulations on your results. They are strong, especially in English. A*A*A is about standard for an English entrant though 100% UMS in English acorss the whole A Level will be a significant point in your favour. The big thing you need to do is think about whether you want to give up a place at Durham for a try at Cambridge. it;s a big question and you need to take advice from your school and your parents. certainly think you;d be competitive but there's no guarantee.

Thanks so much - I shall further consult! :smile:
Hi, I was wondering about your stance towards taking a gap year with the aim of resitting a few exams to improve upon already achieved A-levels. I was unsuccessful in applying to Cambridge initially after interview and was already planning upon reapplying. However, extenuating circumstances( flare up of my chronic illness) impacted my performance in exam time to the extent that I only achieved AAB(economics, maths, biology) and wanted to know if it is still a possibility that I have a chance upon reapplying
Original post by conor_muller
You're in the exact same position as me! Three marks off an A in History and remarking. Definitely not helped by the fact that History exams were in the afternoons after some soul-destroying Maths exams. Hopefully I'll still get an interview and impress with rest of application via supercurriculars.

Ahh nice to see someone also in my position! Luckily I wasn't in the Math exams, I've heard they were really tough! :redface: Yup, I was 6 marks off an A and got full marks in the first paper so I'm remarking. I'm so worried they lower it though and I end up someone with a C grade :s-smilie: Hopefully I can impress with the rest of my application (admission assessment, interview, supercurriculars references, predicted grades etc) and my low GCSE performance will be balanced out by my extenuating circumstances.

Best of luck! How are you preparing for the November assessments? :smile:
Hello, I have just achieved AAAB in my AS levels so will be applying to study PBS. The reason for the B in maths is due to dropped performance in C2 as it was a bad paper for me. However, I got an A in the C1 and S1 papers. I scored quite highly in the statistics paper (the best out of my three maths modules) which is the most relevant module to psychology so will this be looked at or just the fact that I got a B? Also, although I performed slightly worse in maths my results are excellent in the context of my school (my results were top of the year in an under-performing school). Lastly, my GCSEs were 3A*s 6AS and a B but these were also excellent in the context of my school (also top of the year- 24% GCSE pass rate in 2015 at my school). Will my grades affect my chances or will the context of my school mean that I’m not at a disadvantage?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello! I am asking on behalf of my friend.
He applied for Physical Natural Sciences for 2016 entry with SUMS of 92.89% but was unsuccessful post interview. However, he has achieved 4A*s in his Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry A levels last Thursday and now has a SUMS of 93.42%. He holds an unconditional place at Durham currently, but in the light of his excellent A level results, he is seriously considering of reapplying to Cambridge, as he prefers the NatSci course at Cambridge over Durham's.
I know that 3A* auto-pooling criteria still applies and that he would be a strong candidate on paper with 4A*s, but he is worried of a potential second rejection. I have been encouraging him that he is in a better position than he was in last year with his experience of interviews as well as improved results, but he is still not very confident. So he was wondering whether you have any statistics on the success rate of post-A level re-applicants or the degree performance of a student with 4A* or similar statistics that might help him become more confident.
Thank you.
Congratulations on your results. You don't need a fourth subject and it won't be an advantage as you are already doing the three most relevant subjects for Architecture (Maths, Art and Physics). On the other hand, they are your A Levels and you should do what you want for your own satisfaction. Just remember that what we want to see is excellence in three subjects, just doing more subjects isn't going to impress us, so if you're going to do more subjects do them fr you and not for our sake.

Thank you for your reply! I do enjoy Further math a lot and that's why I'm struggling at the moment... But thanks a lot for your advice!
Reply 598
hello, i'm looking to apply for mathematics next year and was wondering how important the personal statement is relative to other parts of an application. Do you ever reject applicants due to their personal statement?
Also, do interviews often involve discussions relating to the applicant's personal statement (if at all) or are they purely academic?

Thank you:smile:
What is auto-pooling?

Latest

Trending

Trending