The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York University Accommodation swap (please)

Hi, I've had my room offer from York. They've offered me my eight choice and I am absolutely gutted to the point where it makes me not want to go. I have a lot of anxieties about sharing a bathroom due to health and personal reasons but they have refused to acknowledge this without a ridiculously specific letter from the GP within three days, which is frankly impossible.

I have been offered a standard, self-catered room with shared bathroom in Halifax (Heslington West) for 40 weeks.

I would really like a standard, ensuite, self-catered room for 40 weeks. I don't care where it is at all, just desperately want a standard ensuite.

Please let me know if you have this. It's really distressing for me because they won't help me at all with it, despite literally crying down the phone on results day.
Reply 1
When you filled out the accommodation application it had a section that asked you if you had any specific room requirements and this is the place you would have written your need for a ensuite and then provided a letter from your GP backing up your medical condition(s) that would support this. I specificed that I needed a 6 person kitchen for social anxiety reasons and they happily provided me with this. If you had given fair warning they would have done this for you so it's not entirely the uni's fault. It's something to keep in mind for the future anyway!

It might also be worth contacting the disability services team to see what support they can provide you with during your time at uni, possibly including a room transfer once you've moved in if you can't find anyone to room swap with.

Good luck! :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Katarvi
When you filled out the accommodation application it had a section that asked you if you had any specific room requirements and this is the place you would have written your need for a ensuite and then provided a letter from your GP backing up your medical condition(s) that would support this. I specificed that I needed a 6 person kitchen for social anxiety reasons and they happily provided me with this. If you had given fair warning they would have done this for you so it's not entirely the uni's fault. It's something to keep in mind for the future anyway!

It might also be worth contacting the disability services team to see what support they can provide you with during your time at uni, possibly including a room transfer once you've moved in if you can't find anyone to room swap with.

Good luck! :smile:

I did specify that though. I applied early as well. I just feel like they completely ignored it. Thanks, congrats on your success haha :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by fldem
I did specify that though. I applied early as well. I just feel like they completely ignored it. Thanks, congrats on your success haha :smile:

The accommodation team require proof though, it would have said that if you have special requirements to send evidence along to them ASAP. They can't do anything about it without proof as otherwise anyone could claim to have medical reasons as to why they need an ensuite etc., which would make the system open to misuse!

Thank you! I'm sure your situation will work out :smile: If you can get an emergency appointment with your GP soon you could email them a photo of the proof (which is what I did) which means they can process your request.
Reply 4
Original post by Katarvi
The accommodation team require proof though, it would have said that if you have special requirements to send evidence along to them ASAP. They can't do anything about it without proof as otherwise anyone could claim to have medical reasons as to why they need an ensuite etc., which would make the system open to misuse!

Thank you! I'm sure your situation will work out :smile: If you can get an emergency appointment with your GP soon you could email them a photo of the proof (which is what I did) which means they can process your request.

I'm going on Thursday, but that was the earliest they could give me. I hope he will help me out.
Original post by fldem
Hi, I've had my room offer from York. They've offered me my eight choice and I am absolutely gutted to the point where it makes me not want to go. I have a lot of anxieties about sharing a bathroom due to health and personal reasons but they have refused to acknowledge this without a ridiculously specific letter from the GP within three days, which is frankly impossible.

I have been offered a standard, self-catered room with shared bathroom in Halifax (Heslington West) for 40 weeks.

I would really like a standard, ensuite, self-catered room for 40 weeks. I don't care where it is at all, just desperately want a standard ensuite.

Please let me know if you have this. It's really distressing for me because they won't help me at all with it, despite literally crying down the phone on results day.

Hi - I've just been offered an ensuite self-catered room off campus (15 mins walk) which is new and gorgeous but I really want to be on campus and don't mind about a shared bathroom. Let me know if you'd like more info?
Original post by Dmcd1234566
Hi - I've just been offered an ensuite self-catered room off campus (15 mins walk) which is new and gorgeous but I really want to be on campus and don't mind about a shared bathroom. Let me know if you'd like more info?

message me
I have a premium ensuite (£153 a week). Don't mind sharing a bathroom
Reply 8
Original post by Akrasia945

Hi, where is your accommodation? Would you be interested in swapping; I have a:
.standard, shared bathroom
.40 week room
.self catered
.Halifax West campus for £5,121

I'm desperate to swap :smile:
Original post by Akrasia945

I've a Vanbrugh economy shared catered fx would you swap asap
hi, it's in Constantine. I'm a second year student, so you would be living with second years. If you are still willing to swap we have to email accomodation services. Message me

Original post by e.towell
Hi, where is your accommodation? Would you be interested in swapping; I have a:
.standard, shared bathroom
.40 week room
.self catered
.Halifax West campus for £5,121

I'm desperate to swap :smile:
Original post by Hershel_K21
I've a Vanbrugh economy shared catered fx would you swap asap

Sorry, I have strict dietry requirements so I can't have a catered room

Quick Reply

Latest