The Student Room Group

Classroom Observation

I'm hoping to apply for a Primary PGCE in October for 2017, I have done some classroom observation but I would like to get in a bit more before I apply.
My question is, if I start emailing Primary Schools on Monday will anybody be there to reply? Or should I wait until schools open again?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vb23
I'm hoping to apply for a PGCE in October for 2017, I have done some classroom observation but I would like to get in a bit more before I apply.
My question is, if I start emailing schools on Monday will anybody be there to reply? Or should I wait until schools open again?

There will be some staff in, but they will be in because they are dealing with the fallout from A levels and will be preparing for GCSE results day. They won't have time to deal with you now and your email could easily end up being forgotten. Wait until term starts.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
There will be some staff in, but they will be in because they are dealing with the fallout from A levels and will be preparing for GCSE results day. They won't have time to deal with you now and your email could easily end up being forgotten. Wait until term starts.

Sorry I should have clarified, I'm applying for PGCE Primary so will be reaching out to Primary Schools, will that be different?
Original post by vb23
Sorry I should have clarified, I'm applying for PGCE Primary so will be reaching out to Primary Schools, will that be different?

There may be even fewer people in in that case, since they don't have exams to deal with. Try phoning and asking the secretarial staff who to direct your request to, and when the best time to ask would be.
Reply 4
Term officially starts on Thursday for us, but no-one at my school is back until Friday, which is an inset day. I believe at other local schools staff are back on Thursday for two inset days. Those returning next week might not necessarily include office staff, though, as it depends on whether the school has contracted them to work on inset days. There's no harm in ringing from Monday and seeing if anyone picks up, but it might not be until Tuesday 30th that someone helpful does.
Reply 5
Original post by Pierson
Term officially starts on Thursday for us, but no-one at my school is back until Friday, which is an inset day. I believe at other local schools staff are back on Thursday for two inset days. Those returning next week might not necessarily include office staff, though, as it depends on whether the school has contracted them to work on inset days. There's no harm in ringing from Monday and seeing if anyone picks up, but it might not be until Tuesday 30th that someone helpful does.

Thanks so much for this information! Would you suggest I contact schools on the inset days? Or wait until the official start day when the children return?
Reply 6
Original post by vb23
Thanks so much for this information! Would you suggest I contact schools on the inset days? Or wait until the official start day when the children return?

You have nothing to lose by trying before the children return.
I'd call them rather than sending an email. See if you can work with the children as well so you are not merely observing and can comment on this work when you are interviewed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending