The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronaldo222
What do you plan to do in your retake year?
Go to school like normal or get work experience and revise at home and only going to school for the exams?

Put the effort you were saving up for the a levels, in to your degree instead. If you think you can get a first from Leicester. Actually i'm afraid that you will find that degrees are nothing like school. I think you are in for a shock.

As i said, if you think you can score good grades at a levels, why not just get that first at Leicester? I couldn't get a first if i tried. Although i did get a 2.1. Try to put a levels behind you now, okay?

I think most of the people on this thread are just starting uni, or still at school, if even that!? interrobang
Reply 21
Original post by john2054
Put the effort you were saving up for the a levels, in to your degree instead. If you think you can get a first from Leicester. Actually i'm afraid that you will find that degrees are nothing like school. I think you are in for a shock.

As i said, if you think you can score good grades at a levels, why not just get that first at Leicester? I couldn't get a first if i tried. Although i did get a 2.1. Try to put a levels behind you now, okay?

I think most of the people on this thread are just starting uni, or still at school, if even that!? interrobang

But will employers look at my A-Levels and I won't even get an interview? I heard some companies require 300+ ucas points..for you to be even able to apply..
Original post by naomi288
Go with your heart. Don't be fooled by attending a university you do not want to go to.

Best decision of my life last year deciding to resit year 13 even though all my friends had a place at university. I originally achieved BBD last year and was devastated that I could not fulfill my dreams of attending a prestigious/russell group university.

Thankfully my resit year was not so bad and I made friends. I knew I had to try hard to get to where I want as I did not want to just go to any university for the sake of it nor did I want to do a foundation year with not so good A Levels. I have now been given a place at a russell group university and obtained A*AB. Believe it or not, my D grade actually became an A grade this year.

So my advice is, do what you think is best. If you think you can do better next year then definitely consider resitting although your grades are pretty decent. If you do resit, you might only wish to resit your C grades and you could decide to pick up a new AS-Level on another subject.

Where did u resit year 13 , was it at a CIFE? or at home?
But will employers look at my A-Levels and I won't even get an interview? I heard some companies require 300+ ucas points..for you to be even able to apply..

When you get a degree, that takes priority over any previous grades. So they will hire someone with a first and your grades now, over someone with a 2.1 and better a levels, any day of the week. I thought they would have taught you this at school?

Of course it does depend on what level you want to start at (graduate). BTW i have heard that firsts, for some jobs, are not favoured over 2.1s, but equally, and i know this from personal experience, they are important if you want to do any post graduate/research study. In which case they could be the difference between getting funding or not. As i said, a levels are a piece of piss compared to a degree. Really mate.
Leicester is by no means a "bad" university, but if you know that you would not be happy going there, I see no reason not to re-take and reapply. You could use the extra time to consider your options further, and perhaps gain some valuable work experience. :smile:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Where did u resit year 13 , was it at a CIFE? or at home?

My sixth form let me back in to resit the year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought Leicester was a good uni? :/

I would go with that tbh.
Retake m
I understand Leicester isn't a bad university but will employers look at all the other CV's on the table and look at my A-Level grades and throw my CV in the bin because a 2:1 is a MUST for top companies and the next thing they'll look at is my A-Level grades.

lol no! Employees hardly look at A-Levels. I don't know if you've heard but work experience and skills is what you need more than A-Levels. If u can't handle the job then why employ you just cause you got good A-Levels. Focus on doing volunteering and developing skills etc. THAT'LL DEFO GET U THE JOB.
You're welcome.

You could also start an internship after uni.
Retake you only get one shot at undergrad uni getting a student loan don't waste it on something that's not really what you want

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by naomi288
My sixth form let me back in to resit the year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's lucky my school wouldn't :P

Your school sucks then, i've never heard of anyone not being allowed to resit a year wtf.

Well actually I think last year was the first time my school ever let people back in to resit year 13. So yeah you could count that as lucky haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also bearing in mind that most of the people saying resit, are still students or pupils, whereas the alumini and employees have been pretty unanimous in our message, that resitting to improve on a ACC grade base, is a waste of time!

John
Original post by john2054
Also bearing in mind that most of the people saying resit, are still students or pupils, whereas the alumini and employees have been pretty unanimous in our message, that resitting to improve on a ACC grade base, is a waste of time!

John

Stop giving him terrible advise, he applied for Accounting and just about every accounting grad scheme requires atleast 280ucas point, most want around 300-320

it will help him enormously once he leaves university by improving that ACC to ABB or higher.

and I've graduated
Original post by Make39kButNoHoes
Stop giving him terrible advise, he applied for Accounting and just about every accounting grad scheme requires atleast 280ucas point, most want around 300-320

it will help him enormously once he leaves university by improving that ACC to ABB or higher.

and I've graduated

You can't even spell, it's 'advice' for your information. I don't know what university you claim to have graduated from?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Make39kButNoHoes
Your school sucks then, i've never heard of anyone not being allowed to resit a year wtf.

My schools sixth form has high standards , i can resit exams as a private candiate and they would help with UCAS but can't actually study there.
My schools sixth form has high standards , i can resit exams as a private candiate and they would help with UCAS but can't actually study there.

Do you change your personal statement a lot if you resit yr 13?
Original post by English-help
Do you change your personal statement a lot if you resit yr 13?

I'd prolly change it a bit , but keep it pretty much the same. I don't think you need to change it tbh

Latest