The Student Room Group

EU national applying as UK national

Hi, I am EU national who live and work in England for last 10 years. I have decided to start university this year and I have applied for a tuition fee loan. Loan was approved, but due to the fact that I was in higher education 10 years ago in my home country, number of years I am entitled to is less than the length of my course. Should those 2 years in my home country (University was free therefore I wasn't receiving any tuition fee support) be taken under consideration? And why (since it was free)? Also is there any chance I could use the amount of years I am entitled to as first so that I can gather necessary funds self-fund my last year? My application was as UK national not EU national since I have permanent residency status.
Original post by bart.m
Hi, I am EU national who live and work in England for last 10 years. I have decided to start university this year and I have applied for a tuition fee loan. Loan was approved, but due to the fact that I was in higher education 10 years ago in my home country, number of years I am entitled to is less than the length of my course. Should those 2 years in my home country (University was free therefore I wasn't receiving any tuition fee support) be taken under consideration? And why (since it was free)? Also is there any chance I could use the amount of years I am entitled to as first so that I can gather necessary funds self-fund my last year? My application was as UK national not EU national since I have permanent residency status.

Student finance takes into account previous study regardless of what country it was in or how it was funded. This is the same for everyone British and EU. This is to ensure that funds are prioritised for those who have not had the opportunity to go to university, whilst allowing for one retake or repeat year. And no you can't get the tuition fee loan first, you have to wait until your 2nd year to recieve the loan. The first year you have to pay for yourself. Again this is the same for everyone, UK and EU.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Student finance takes into account previous study regardless of what country it was in or how it was funded. This is the same for everyone British and EU. This is to ensure that funds are prioritised for those who have not had the opportunity to go to university, whilst allowing for one retake or repeat year. And no you can't get the tuition fee loan first, you have to wait until your 2nd year to recieve the loan. The first year you have to pay for yourself. Again this is the same for everyone, UK and EU.

Thank you, finally someone was able to give me clear answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending