The Student Room Group

Self-teaching A Level Maths

Hello everyone!

In order to get into a particular graduate degree, I need to have done A Level Maths.

I know A Levels are reforming so I asked a college I would be taking my exams with (as a private candidate) and they said this:

"The last exam opportunity with the old syllabus will be June 2018 which means you can do AS exams in June 2017 and then A2 in June 2018."

Could someone explain to me the logistics/what's going on in terms of the reforms? I already have a few questions:

1. Do the AS exams in June 2017 count towards the overall A Level anymore? If not, shouldn't I just do A2/A Level Maths in June 2018...?
2. What exam board should I go with - which is the easiest basically?

Any help would be reaaaaaaally appreciated because I'm confused af.
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anticipating
Hello everyone!

In order to get into a particular graduate degree, I need to have done A Level Maths.

I know A Levels are reforming so I asked a college I would be taking my exams with (as a private candidate) and they said this:

"The last exam opportunity with the old syllabus will be June 2018 which means you can do AS exams in June 2017 and then A2 in June 2018."

Could someone explain to me the logistics/what's going on in terms of the reforms? I already have a few questions:

1. Do the AS exams in June 2017 count towards the overall A Level anymore? If not, shouldn't I just do A2/A Level Maths in June 2018...?

Thanks!

I would say self teach Edexcel Maths - C1-4 and S1-2. It'll all be 1 A-level, and have the college either teach you it or have you entered there but not attend (you would have to pay for it yourself then though)
Original post by SeanFM
I would say self teach Edexcel Maths - C1-4 and S1-2. It'll all be 1 A-level, and have the college either teach you it or have you entered there but not attend (you would have to pay for it yourself then though)

Yeah I'm now planning on doing C1 + C2 + S1 for AS and C3 + C4 + S2 for A2 all under Edexcel. Issue is I'm at university in Sweden so I will have no access to a college or even tuition - the idea is that I will be 100% self-teaching myself and then doing the exams as a private candidate in London.
A lot of schools are now only opting to put forward students for their second year exams but it is always good if you have the option available to do the AS exam to give you an idea of how you're doing and just give you a chance of doing the real thing. Many students are shocked after thinking they're doing well and finding out they are not post examination time. Also, it will provide you with a solid grade to put on UCAS when you apply for university instead of just predicted grades
Hello everyone!

Thanks!

If 2018 is the last date for the total A-LEVEL you can do AS in 2017, AS2 in 2018, I imagine retakes of AS can be done in 2018 with AS2 yet that's the last date it will count towards anything.
Yeah I'm now planning on doing C1 + C2 + S1 for AS and C3 + C4 + S2 for A2 all under Edexcel. Issue is I'm at university in Sweden so I will have no access to a college or even tuition - the idea is that I will be 100% self-teaching myself and then doing the exams as a private candidate in London.

Slightly off topic, but Sweden is lovely :love:

Oh okay. Honestly, you should be fine with that exam board and those modules - there are plenty of resources available for it so loads of opportunities to practice and learn.

The only thing I would be wary of is that you will not have a huge amount of free time with university going on but it must be doable. Also, take care that your term time finishes before those exams, a clash would be horrible.
Original post by XOR_
If 2018 is the last date for the total A-LEVEL you can do AS in 2017, AS2 in 2018, I imagine retakes of AS can be done in 2018 with AS2 yet that's the last date it will count towards anything.

oh okay, that makes sense!

use hegartymaths(mathswebsite.com), exam solutions and youtube to self teach maths along with past papers
Original post by SeanFM
Slightly off topic, but Sweden is lovely :love:

Oh okay. Honestly, you should be fine with that exam board and those modules - there are plenty of resources available for it so loads of opportunities to practice and learn.

The only thing I would be wary of is that you will not have a huge amount of free time with university going on but it must be doable. Also, take care that your term time finishes before those exams, a clash would be horrible.

It can be haha! :colondollar:

And yeah, just googling some stuff now I've already saved myself money from buying textbooks so hopefully it should be alright! And crap, I never thought about the timetable clashes :unimpressed: My degree is wonderful in that I study a module in a month and have an exam at the end of the month so I'll only have one exam for my final module in the beginning of June I think? We shall see how it all pans out!

Original post by emilymcpartland
A lot of schools are now only opting to put forward students for their second year exams but it is always good if you have the option available to do the AS exam to give you an idea of how you're doing and just give you a chance of doing the real thing. Many students are shocked after thinking they're doing well and finding out they are not post examination time. Also, it will provide you with a solid grade to put on UCAS when you apply for university instead of just predicted grades

I understand that but I'm already at university so I really need to do modular Maths.
Original post by Hashtosh302
use hegartymaths(mathswebsite.com), exam solutions and youtube to self teach maths along with past papers

will do, thanks for the tip!
It can be haha! :colondollar:

And yeah, just googling some stuff now I've already saved myself money from buying textbooks so hopefully it should be alright! And crap, I never thought about the timetable clashes :unimpressed: My degree is wonderful in that I study a module in a month and have an exam at the end of the month so I'll only have one exam for my final module in the beginning of June I think? We shall see how it all pans out!

I understand that but I'm already at university so I really need to do modular Maths.

Be careful though, as some of the exams can start in May :s-smilie: is there an equivalent qualification in Sweden that you can take?
Original post by SeanFM
Be careful though, as some of the exams can start in May :s-smilie: is there an equivalent qualification in Sweden that you can take?

Oh yeah that's very true :frown: I'll double check everything before I pay the exam fees!

And yeah but it's unfortunately taught in Swedish and my Swedish is very rusty (as I've lived in England since 2006 up to now) so not only will I struggle with the maths content but I'll also struggle with understanding the language itself :/

Potentially silly question, but are the exam timetables up for summer 2017?
Oh yeah that's very true :frown: I'll double check everything before I pay the exam fees!

And yeah but it's unfortunately taught in Swedish and my Swedish is very rusty (as I've lived in England since 2006 up to now) so not only will I struggle with the maths content but I'll also struggle with understanding the language itself :/

Potentially silly question, but are the exam timetables up for summer 2017?

:s-smilie: I see, and no English speaking schools or ones that will let you sit Edexcel exams in Sweden rather than coming all the way to London?

No such thing as a silly question, and yes there is a provisional one but it can change easily (one exam I was looking at before changed by a month) so don't go by it, and as far as I know the exams are always between May and June with not a huge amount of change (by that I mean C3 and C4 are usually in June and C1 and C2 in May)
Edit: found the June 2017 Edexcel timetable: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Examination-timetables/GCE-June-2017-Final-Timetable.pdf

C1 is on Wednesday the 17th of May, C2 on the 24th of May and S1 on the 7th of June! So fingers crossed it should be okay.
Original post by SeanFM
:s-smilie: I see, and no English speaking schools or ones that will let you sit Edexcel exams in Sweden rather than coming all the way to London?

No such thing as a silly question, and yes there is a provisional one but it can change easily (one exam I was looking at before changed by a month) so don't go by it, and as far as I know the exams are always between May and June with not a huge amount of change (by that I mean C3 and C4 are usually in June and C1 and C2 in May)

I know some schools that do the IB here in English but that's an entirely different ballpark I think! And I found the "final" timetable for Edexcel supposedly: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Examination-timetables/GCE-June-2017-Final-Timetable.pdf
This is going to be so messy :afraid:
I know some schools that do the IB here in English but that's an entirely different ballpark I think! And I found the "final" timetable for Edexcel supposedly: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Examination-timetables/GCE-June-2017-Final-Timetable.pdf
This is going to be so messy :afraid:

I see yes, IB is something else and not what you need.

You might not have anyone teaching it but you might be able to talk with someone (perhaps your old school or the one that teaches IB in English) and have them enter you into these exams only, rather than trying to find a place that actually teaches it?

Or the alternative is (if possible) studying two modules in a month for 1 or 2 months so you can finish early if possible.. but not ideal either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
I see yes, IB is something else and not what you need.

You might not have anyone teaching it but you might be able to talk with someone (perhaps your old school or the one that teaches IB in English) and have them enter you into these exams only, rather than trying to find a place that actually teaches it?

Or the alternative is (if possible) studying two modules in a month for 1 or 2 months so you can finish early if possible.. but not ideal either.

You mean get an IB school to enter me for A-level exams here in Sweden? Doesn't Edexcel have a list of certified exam centres you need to do your exams at? :frown:

And I can ask to do that but I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth a try. Worst case is that I "fail" the exam by simply not attending and then doing it at some other point? I'll probably discuss all of this with my academic advisor before I do anything drastic.
You mean get an IB school to enter me for A-level exams here in Sweden? Doesn't Edexcel have a list of certified exam centres you need to do your exams at? :frown:

And I can ask to do that but I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth a try. Worst case is that I "fail" the exam by simply not attending and then doing it at some other point? I'll probably discuss all of this with my academic advisor before I do anything drastic.

Yeah, that's where the potential problem comes in but in my view it's worth asking.

:s-smilie: yeah, consult someone else. Not sure about failing on purpose :s-smilie: good luck, it's a difficult situation.
Hello everyone!

Thanks!

I recommend OCR maths. I just got my results on thursday and the grade boundaries were insanely low and theres plenty of channels on youtube with videos of each topic.

Hey! I'm doing my exams as a private candidate too. Do you know if the centres provide you with calculators and data booklets for Chemistry? Anyone who knows please help!

Quick Reply

Latest