The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, could you tell me whether the A* in the standard A*AA offer for English at Cambridge has to be in English? And what happens if A*A*B is achieved (with an A* in English, of course)? I have four As at AS and 12 A*s and one A at GCSE but my school has no history of sending anyone to Cambridge for English so I'm not sure whether to try for Oxford as their offer would be AAA, though I much prefer the Cambridge course. For the record, I think my predictions will be three A*s for A2; however, I'm still worried due to my school's lack of Oxbridge experience. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Christ's Admissions
In unusual cases, especially those involving mature students, ATs are quite likely to take different views on specific issues. I'd leave it myself but you might want to ask in the mature student thread.

I asked and the response was:

"All applicants are treated equally: i.e. they're expected to have gained 3 A levels at grade A--or the equivalent as outlined in the University's heuristic table. This is the requirement prior to 1st October of the year of entry."

This was Wolfson's consensus regarding the entry requirements, so I will just have to do my research and find a college who would consider me with the A*A*B as it is. If push comes to shove I will just have to do the resit.

Thanks again!
Hi, I was wondering if my academic profile is strong enough for Philosophy at Cambridge to be considered as a serious contender and invited for an interview? I'm a bit concerned as a few of my maths modules are fairly low for Cambridge standard.

10A* GCSE (Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English, RS, History, Geography, Latin, Chinese)

A Level: Doing Maths, FM, RS and economics.
3 A's at AS in Maths, FM and RS. Did not do an AS in economics as it is reformed.

Core 1: 83/100, Core 2: 97/100, Statistics 1: 91/100, Futher Pure 1: 89/100, Mechanics 1: 96/100, Mechanics 2: 73/100

Philosophy of Religion: 99/100, Ethics: 100/100

Predicted: A* A* A* A (A in FM)
Hi, I am interested in studying computer science at Cambridge but i'm in a dilemma at the moment with my chosen subjects for next year.
Currently, I study:
- Computer Science (Achieved AS: A, no ums given)
- Maths (Achieved AS: A, 398 ums)
- Physics (Achieved AS: A, no ums given)
- Art (Did not do an exam since its a linear a-level)

I was initially planning to keep all 4 subjects and perhaps take an AS further maths option for next year, although this would mean taking 5 subjects which may mean there is less time to focus on each subject. I do quite enjoy maths and it is useful for computer science at university which made me consider the FM AS option. I realise that art doesn't link much with computer science as much as my other subjects but I do feel that I could possibly achieve an A* at the end of Y13. I wanted to ask whether my grade for art will count as part of the offer (A*A*A) or will it be disregarded?

Also, what would your personal recommendation be with my current options: Continue all 4 subjects without FM AS, Continue all 4 subjects with FM AS , Drop art and take maths,physics,computer science and FM AS.
Original post by Jamesgj123
What is auto-pooling?

Having to get pooled because of getting a certain %UMS in AS-levels or a certain set of grades if applying post-IB/A-Level. Applies to all subjects apart from maths and medicine. Not sure how it's changing this year with the removal of UMS.
What is your minimal requirement for a student's average/specific subject grade in the dutch examination system (vwo) for an applicant to be interviewed?
I was considering applying to Cambridge for Law but I got my AS results yesterday and they're not quite what I was hoping for.

Results:

BTEC Applied Law - Distinction*

English Literature - A - Don't have marks yet

Government & Politics - A - 66 UMS Unit 1, 98 UMS Unit 2, 164/200 UMS overall. I'm surprised about Unit 1 and I'm going to get the script back and possibly go for a remark, so that may well go up.

History - B - 68/100 raw mark.

I intend to carry on all four subjects, and my predicted grades will probably be Distinction* A*AA.

Should I apply with my grades? Or would I be kidding myself to think that my application would be solid with the B in History? Please, be brutally honest, it's not a big deal if it would be best to not apply because then I could focus on universities where I actually have a proper chance of getting an offer. Just want to know what would be most sensible. You don't have to spare my feelings. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Having to get pooled because of getting a certain %UMS in AS-levels or a certain set of grades if applying post-IB/A-Level. Applies to all subjects apart from maths and medicine. Not sure how it's changing this year with the removal of UMS.

This might be relevant.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/273000/response/674482/attach/2/FOI%202015%20167%20Dinsmore%20response%20letter%20and%20materials.pdf
Thanks, does this mean you get assigned to a college automatically?

No, if a college wants you after reviewing your file then they will fish you out of the pool or give another interview at the college, but you may well be unsuccessful and not get an offer after you're placed in the pool.
There's a detailed description of pool by the Christ's AT from last year's thread quoted in the OP of this thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3733847
(it's in a spoiler tag, last bullet point under ABOUT COLLEGES)
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, does this mean you get assigned to a college automatically?

Not exactly, it means your application is available for all the colleges to see on their database and your application might be considered by a college. If you meet these conditions, it's likely that you might qualify for an interview.
Original post by jtmass22
Hi,
I want to study engineering and was wondering whether it would put me at a disadvantage to drop chemistry. This would leave me with maths, further maths and physics. I got an A in all the subjects with strong ums in maths and further and I am concerned about the volume of work required for chemistry A2 when it is likely not to be included in an offer, though I have heard dropping it would disadvantage me against those keeping it. Please could you advise.
Many thanks

Most Engineers who are successful have Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry to A2. That's not to say that dropping Chemistry means you can't or won't get an offer, it;s just that most offer holders will have it to A2. It's not unusual for Chemistry to be part of the offer, especially if Maths is not part of the A*A*A offer.

I can't tell you what to do with your A Levels, as ultimately they are your A Levels. I usually advise students that we'd prefer excellent performance in three subjects rather than good performance in four. Engineering, however, is one of the few subjects at Cambridge (Phys Nat Sci being the other) where these four specific A Levels are the best preparation for the course - not essential in the case of Chemistry but best.
Hi, I was wondering what in particular you look for in a personal statement. Are there any particular extra-curricular activities you like to see that applicants have done?

Also, does competitiveness vary significantly depending on which first-year sciences you pick? When do you pick them?

Thanks.

A Personal Statement for Nat Sci? I don;t think there's anything in particular I am looking for, especially given that in most cases people's UCAS Personal Statement is weighted towards the single science that they are applying for elsewhere. In the additional PS box on the SAQ, there is the opportunity to talk about why you wish to do a natural science course. I suppose something to think about is the interlocking nature of the various disciplines in science.

We're not interested in extra-curricular activities, we like super-curricular activities, things done in your subject beyond the classroom and there's no one thing we are looking for here. All sorts of things can tick that box.

My final piece of advice, think about and reflect on what you have done, read and seen, don;t just tell me that you've done them.

You don't choose your options in first year until at least after you have an offer and in many colleges until you meet that offer so your choices play no part in competitiveness for admission.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sevenkings2013
Hi, I was wondering about your stance towards taking a gap year with the aim of resitting a few exams to improve upon already achieved A-levels. I was unsuccessful in applying to Cambridge initially after interview and was already planning upon reapplying. However, extenuating circumstances( flare up of my chronic illness) impacted my performance in exam time to the extent that I only achieved AAB(economics, maths, biology) and wanted to know if it is still a possibility that I have a chance upon reapplying

I'm not sure what subject you are planning to applying for and applied for last year but, given your combination of A Levels, I am suspecting it's one with an A*A*A offer. I am sorry about your extenuating circumstances but it's hard, even in the light of these, how you are going to get an offer applying with grades three levels below the standard offer, even with the possibility of retakes. I am sorry not to be more encouraging.
Original post by Emilypickett
Hello, I have just achieved AAAB in my AS levels so will be applying to study PBS. The reason for the B in maths is due to dropped performance in C2 as it was a bad paper for me. However, I got an A in the C1 and S1 papers. I scored quite highly in the statistics paper (the best out of my three maths modules) which is the most relevant module to psychology so will this be looked at or just the fact that I got a B? Also, although I performed slightly worse in maths my results are excellent in the context of my school (my results were top of the year in an under-performing school). Lastly, my GCSEs were 3A*s 6AS and a B but these were also excellent in the context of my school (also top of the year- 24% GCSE pass rate in 2015 at my school). Will my grades affect my chances or will the context of my school mean that I’m not at a disadvantage?

Hello and thanks for your question and congratulations on your results. Grades always affect people's chances but given what you have achieved in your other AS Levels and that your Maths is brought down by one poor module, then there's no reason to think that you would not be competitive. We will certainly look at the context of your school and your strong performance from such a background will be taken into account positively.
Original post by C0balt
Hello! I am asking on behalf of my friend.
He applied for Physical Natural Sciences for 2016 entry with SUMS of 92.89% but was unsuccessful post interview. However, he has achieved 4A*s in his Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry A levels last Thursday and now has a SUMS of 93.42%. He holds an unconditional place at Durham currently, but in the light of his excellent A level results, he is seriously considering of reapplying to Cambridge, as he prefers the NatSci course at Cambridge over Durham's.
I know that 3A* auto-pooling criteria still applies and that he would be a strong candidate on paper with 4A*s, but he is worried of a potential second rejection. I have been encouraging him that he is in a better position than he was in last year with his experience of interviews as well as improved results, but he is still not very confident. So he was wondering whether you have any statistics on the success rate of post-A level re-applicants or the degree performance of a student with 4A* or similar statistics that might help him become more confident.
Thank you.

I'm afraid I don't have statistics on the success rate of applicants with 3 or 4 A*s. Given the improvement from AS to A2 and the gaining of 4 A*s, however, I would say that on paper he would be a strong candidate post A Level. What he needs to do in consultation with school, family and friends is weigh up whether he wishes to give up a year to chase the possibility of Cambridge over the certainty of Durham. That's not something I can advise on but it needs careful thought.
Original post by czhang1998
Thank you for your reply! I do enjoy Further math a lot and that's why I'm struggling at the moment... But thanks a lot for your advice!

You're welcome. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Original post by solC
hello, i'm looking to apply for mathematics next year and was wondering how important the personal statement is relative to other parts of an application. Do you ever reject applicants due to their personal statement?
Also, do interviews often involve discussions relating to the applicant's personal statement (if at all) or are they purely academic?

Thank you:smile:

I'd never reject a Maths applicant on the basis of their personal statement. it;s not really relevant for Maths at Cambridge, all that matters is how good you are at maths not whether you can write beautifully crafted sentences. Personal Statements occasionally get used in an interview for Maths, usually at the start of the candidate is nervous to ease them in. You'll know when the interview proper has started cos that's when they start throwing maths problems at you! :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions

How do you filter the medics? Is it mainly the BMAT scores? I can't see any other way of doing it.

Latest

Trending

Trending