The Student Room Group

Did anyone do a2 French?!

Hi I'm just curious as to how are a2 french is, I got a scraped a B at AS and think I want to continue it to a2 but I'm terrified it's a lot harder and I won't be able to cope?
Reply 1
Original post by anaighj
Hi I'm just curious as to how are a2 french is, I got a scraped a B at AS and think I want to continue it to a2 but I'm terrified it's a lot harder and I won't be able to cope?

Hi there, I did A level French and this year received a grade B overall which I am so so glad about because to be honest French for me was very difficult. I am going to b honest, in my opinion A2 is harder as for example for speaking it relies on you being more spontaneous when speaking and it is not a revised speaking like in AS.
The written exam relies on accuracy and knowledge of the content, practice practice practice but if you have a passion for French and you got a B in AS I think you can do well.
Personally French for me was a struggle as I retook my French A level this year, I went from a D in A2 French last year to B A2 French this year while also retaking some AS.
I don't want to discourage you from doing the language, just giving you some insight.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask
Reply 2
Original post by cgureje
Hi there, I did A level French and this year received a grade B overall which I am so so glad about because to be honest French for me was very difficult. I am going to b honest, in my opinion A2 is harder as for example for speaking it relies on you being more spontaneous when speaking and it is not a revised speaking like in AS.
The written exam relies on accuracy and knowledge of the content, practice practice practice but if you have a passion for French and you got a B in AS I think you can do well.
Personally French for me was a struggle as I retook my French A level this year, I went from a D in A2 French last year to B A2 French this year while also retaking some AS.
I don't want to discourage you from doing the language, just giving you some insight.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask

Hi thanks for replying. yeah for me French was a struggle, received U's all year but managed to work hard and get a B however I got 1 mark over what was need for a b, so I am very lucky.
Speaking was very hard for me as my accent isn't the greatest and my teacher embarrasses me ( I'm quite shy) and essays were always a struggle too (mainly got C's and Ds all year)

Is the essay writing harder, do u have to write more and have a broader range of topics that could come up?
What was ur speaking exam like, I'm doing edexcel .?
Reply 3
Original post by anaighj
Hi thanks for replying. yeah for me French was a struggle, received U's all year but managed to work hard and get a B however I got 1 mark over what was need for a b, so I am very lucky.
Speaking was very hard for me as my accent isn't the greatest and my teacher embarrasses me ( I'm quite shy) and essays were always a struggle too (mainly got C's and Ds all year)

Is the essay writing harder, do u have to write more and have a broader range of topics that could come up?
What was ur speaking exam like, I'm doing edexcel .?

Unfortunately I'm on a different exam board to you, I do AQA, so I am unsure of what is required for the A2 edexcel exam board.
And AQA specification will be changing this coming year.
Anyway, if AQA is anything like edexcel the questions for writing are less compared to AS but the essay requires a lot more and on a completely different topic
But if anything I think A2 exam paper requires more, as there is translation exercises English to French and vice versa, which you don't do in AS. I think that may also be what is required in edexcel.You got U's all year and managed to get a B that is really good, but the step from AS to A2 is harder I am not going to lie.
Doing practice exam papers is essential, and listening exercises etc it got to the point where I had to repeat doing the same exam papers

Speaking is not a competely rehearsed like in AS, it has to come across slightly spontaneous in certain areas of the speaking like a debate. But again different exam board.
if you really like French go for it but it maybe a good idea to prepare yourself mayb by getting a head start if you want and looking on specification for A2 online to see if you could do it.
Did u do better in French compared to your other subjects?
if you like French go for it, but if you are content in just having a B grade in AS French and focusing on your other subjects thats fine too.

I know my help is abit vague but all the best :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest