The Student Room Group

Shared bathroom accommodation

Because of a lot of my own personal reasons, which make sharing a bathroom genuinely a distressing concept for me, I stated on my application that I'd find sharing very difficult and it would make a big impact on my life.

They have offered me shared bathroom anyway, so I rang and asked if there was any way it could be changed but instead of telling me whether or not they had any other room options, I just got told they'd need a very precise doctors letter within three days before even considering changing it.

I've been to the doctors and he can only see me on Thursday, which obviously isn't within their time frame. So I don't really know what to do. I'm not being precious about it, I've had health related issues that make the idea of sharing scary and unsettling and that's not what I need in my life if I'm being thrown into a place with lots of new people. I'm worried I will revert back to old behaviours because of the anxiety it gives me and for that reason I feel strongly about this.

Does anyone have any ideas or has experienced something like this?
You are not being unreasonable. Phone them back and explain the situation with the doctor. Three days is not a reasonable time for a letter. They probably get loads of trivial requests and may not realise that yours is genuine, hence the request for proof. This sounds like it's a medical issue (in that it will affect your health) in which case they have a duty to make any reasonable adjustments to give you the same opportunities as everyone else (In the same way that they shouldn't put a wheelchair user on the second floor of a building with no lifts).

If you still have no luck, try either student services or the Student Union for wherever you are going. Both groups will have experience of supporting people with additional needs and they should be more understanding. If this issue is causing extra stress, get another trusted adult to support you. The place you are going to will be able to give you your own bathroom, they just need to know how important this is.
Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Lit teacher
You are not being unreasonable. Phone them back and explain the situation with the doctor. Three days is not a reasonable time for a letter. They probably get loads of trivial requests and may not realise that yours is genuine, hence the request for proof. This sounds like it's a medical issue (in that it will affect your health) in which case they have a duty to make any reasonable adjustments to give you the same opportunities as everyone else (In the same way that they shouldn't put a wheelchair user on the second floor of a building with no lifts).

If you still have no luck, try either student services or the Student Union for wherever you are going. Both groups will have experience of supporting people with additional needs and they should be more understanding. If this issue is causing extra stress, get another trusted adult to support you. The place you are going to will be able to give you your own bathroom, they just need to know how important this is.
Good luck.

Thank you. It really is a big problem for me and despite the joy of being accepted to study English at my first choice of York, the accommodation really spoiled my day. I hope they will help me out.
Original post by fldem
Thank you. It really is a big problem for me and despite the joy of being accepted to study English at my first choice of York, the accommodation really spoiled my day. I hope they will help me out.

This is from their online accommodation guide "We want to offer you an appropriate room and will contact you individually if you have indicated in your form that you have an additional requirement. You will be asked to provide supporting documentary evidence from an appropriate professional."
It sounds like they haven't done that. If you need to speak to someone again you could remind them of what the York website says. Nothing there about only having three days!
http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/newprospectivestudents/postgraduates/studentswithadditionalrequirements/
Reply 4
You are talking about bathroom shared in 2.Here we have to share triple occupancy room with community bathroom..
People live with no problem...
Reply 5
Original post by NUSTweb
You are talking about bathroom shared in 2.Here we have to share triple occupancy room with community bathroom..
People live with no problem...

I don't really care for condescension. I'm well aware other people have it worse. However I've suffered with an eating disorder for years and therefore find sharing a bathroom incredibly distressing. Thanks for your input though.
Original post by fldem
Because of a lot of my own personal reasons, which make sharing a bathroom genuinely a distressing concept for me, I stated on my application that I'd find sharing very difficult and it would make a big impact on my life.

They have offered me shared bathroom anyway, so I rang and asked if there was any way it could be changed but instead of telling me whether or not they had any other room options, I just got told they'd need a very precise doctors letter within three days before even considering changing it.

I've been to the doctors and he can only see me on Thursday, which obviously isn't within their time frame. So I don't really know what to do. I'm not being precious about it, I've had health related issues that make the idea of sharing scary and unsettling and that's not what I need in my life if I'm being thrown into a place with lots of new people. I'm worried I will revert back to old behaviours because of the anxiety it gives me and for that reason I feel strongly about this.

Does anyone have any ideas or has experienced something like this?

You need to get back to them and say the doctor cant see you until Thursday.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
You need to get back to them and say the doctor cant see you until Thursday.

Yeah I have sent them an email now, but problem is they probably won't reply until Monday or Tuesday and I have to accept the offer by Monday.
Reply 8
Original post by fldem
Yeah I have sent them an email now, but problem is they probably won't reply until Monday or Tuesday and I have to accept the offer by Monday.

Try to call them or pay a visit....
Original post by fldem

Call first thing Monday.
Have you spoken to the disabilities office? They organised an appropriate room for me when I started uni (incl. ensuite bath) and didn't even ask for evidence (although I applied as a disabled student) - ideally you should have spoken to them already but you could make contact now and explain you thought you'd done what you needed to?

also, pretty much all doctors offer emergency on the day appointments, I know it's not a medical emergency but people use these all the time for non emergencies

Quick Reply

Latest