The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie860
Hi everyone, first post on here so sorry for it being a request of sorts!

I did my UKCAT yesterday and got the following result:
VR 590
QR 850
AR 630
Average 690
SJ Band 1

I'm only applying to Scottish universities so it's a case of applying to 4 and avoiding 1. Based on my UKCAT, which should I avoid?

I've heard some saying Edinburgh is the most UKCAT heavy but others say Glasgow is.

690 is a good score, you've done well!

Glasgow use a cut-off (I think, they've been vague recently saying they "take all aspects into account" or something), Edinburgh award points based on the octile you fall under compared with other Edinburgh applicants.

I can't remember what Glasgow's cut off has been over the past few years, but with 690 I'd expect you to be safe. I have a friend who got interviewed with 670 last year, so unless the average this year has dramatically risen, you should be okay.

That same friend got an Edinburgh offer with 670 + 5As. Band 1 SJT is important for Edinburgh, so you're covered there. Check out this slightly outdated selectors handbook to gauge your chances: http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//mbchb_handbook_final.pdf
Your UKCAT probably falls into the 3rd/4th octile (that's just my guess, I'm really not certain). As long as your grades and PS are solid, your UKCAT shouldn't hinder you.

So, you should be fine for Glasgow, and fine for Edinburgh as long as other aspects of your application are really good. If so, you can pick based on which uni you prefer. I turned down Edinburgh and start at Glasgow in a few weeks... 😉

What's your top choice?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Is the QR mini mock easier or harder compared to the real mock?

I just did mine and got 630 :frown:
Original post by muz360

Glasgow use a cut-off (I think, they've been vague recently saying they "take all aspects into account" or something), Edinburgh award points based on the octile you fall under compared with other Edinburgh applicants.

I can't remember what Glasgow's cut off has been over the past few years, but with 690 I'd expect you to be safe. I have a friend who got interviewed with 670 last year, so unless the average this year has dramatically risen, you should be okay.

That same friend got an Edinburgh offer with 670 + 5As. Band 1 SJT is important for Edinburgh, so you're covered there. Check out this slightly outdated selectors handbook to gauge your chances: http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//mbchb_handbook_final.pdf
Your UKCAT probably falls into the 3rd/4th octile (that's just my guess, I'm really not certain). As long as your grades and PS are solid, your UKCAT shouldn't hinder you.

So, you should be fine for Glasgow, and fine for Edinburgh as long as other aspects of your application are really good. If so, you can pick based on which uni you prefer. I turned down Edinburgh and start at Glasgow in a few weeks... 😉

What's your top choice?

Thanks for the advice! I'm not 100% sure, possibly Dundee as it's the medical school I'm most familiar with. Congrats on getting in!
Original post by muz360

What's your top choice?

I would've thought 690 would be second octile or just under. Definitely not fourth.
Original post by 1potato2potato
i'm half way through the medify question bank and its only been a 2 weeks of on/off work (my exam is in September) has anyone else felt that they went through it too quickly? how do you deal with that? i'm only doing a few questions a day on it (20-30 mins or so) and am padding it out with official questions from the site and the remaining questions in my 1000q isc book.

Also QR is still scary af. anyone felt like they were making no progress in this section and end up doing okay in the real thing? i'm getting 500-600 max in practice and just praying my VR score brings it all up.

yep I got that with QR and got 830 on the day! :smile:
Original post by Lewishier
I'm thinking of starting a Whatsapp group for 2017 entry medics. Would anyone be interested?

I am :smile:
Okay so just did my MOCK C and avg 686. My test is in the next few days and this is my last mock, was just going to spend the next few days reviewinng my mistakes and keeping up practice. Not sure if im ready with this score tho :/ still didnt finish the QR on time! plus i find medify AR really easy but the official mock AR really hard, anyone got any opinions on this and if they think i should re book??
Just to confirm, cus I'm a little confused, in the UKCAT for 2017 entry there will be Verbal Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning, Quantitative reasoning and Situational Judgement - there will also be Decision Making though it will not count towards our final scores, and there is NO Decision Analysis?

I did the UKCAT last year so this is quite a change haha
Original post by Gogregg
Band 2 is still really good, don't worry :smile:

Thank you :smile: Have you sat the ukcat this year?
Original post by Kings_queens
remember it's interior angle and not exterior

Ok thank you.
Reply 2770
Does anyone know a calculation I can use to convert my score into UKCAT score?
Quick question. Does anyone know, for verbal reasoning, what % will be the comprehension questions and, of these, what % will be the author agreement/disagreement questions? I find these qs take signifantly longer than the others, so i might just guess them as soon as i see them if they are at a low frequency.
Original post by HiraMunawar
Just to confirm, cus I'm a little confused, in the UKCAT for 2017 entry there will be Verbal Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning, Quantitative reasoning and Situational Judgement - there will also be Decision Making though it will not count towards our final scores, and there is NO Decision Analysis?

I did the UKCAT last year so this is quite a change haha

yes this is right!
Anyone done the kaplan mocks? Was the UKCAT Plus worth it? What did you get on the practice tests 1-6?
Original post by Jitesh
Anyone done the kaplan mocks? Was the UKCAT Plus worth it? What did you get on the practice tests 1-6?

The practice tests are great. They're harder than tests 1-6 but I think that's good for practice, especially VR (VERY lengthy paragraphs and hard statement questions).
Original post by studentsixth
The practice tests are great. They're harder than tests 1-6 but I think that's good for practice, especially VR (VERY lengthy paragraphs and hard statement questions).

The extra 3 practice tests, right?
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Quick question. Does anyone know, for verbal reasoning, what % will be the comprehension questions and, of these, what % will be the author agreement/disagreement questions? I find these qs take signifantly longer than the others, so i might just guess them as soon as i see them if they are at a low frequency.

Expect a couple but there is no percentage of questions guaranteed
Obviously in order to do well in the UKCAT you don't have to get all the questions right in each section but how many questions answered correctly over the 3 sections would give you a good mark?
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
Obviously in order to do well in the UKCAT you don't have to get all the questions right in each section but how many questions answered correctly over the 3 sections would give you a good mark?

Around 70%
seriously VR is killing me... anyone has a solid strategy they stuck to??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending