The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science

Would it realistically be worth applying to Cambridge for computer science with 10A*s at GCSE A*A*A at A-level (In maths, Philosophy and Physics Respectively) as well as an A in AS Further Maths, I'm taking a gap year and probably completing my further maths a-level having been unable to take it last year as there was a timetable clash at my school, the catch is my average UMS is only 88 across all my subjects, which I don't feel is high enough, should I bother?
Personally, I would sack off the further maths. Study it perhaps but don't take the exam.

You've got a gap year now to really make your application stick out.

Learn how to code in whichever languages Cambridge offers, design an app, get some technical work experience. Nothing beats brains and experience.

Make yourself stand out.

Best of luck,

SS
Reply 2
Original post by Supersaps
Personally, I would sack off the further maths. Study it perhaps but don't take the exam.

You've got a gap year now to really make your application stick out.

Learn how to code in whichever languages Cambridge offers, design an app, get some technical work experience. Nothing beats brains and experience.

Make yourself stand out.

Best of luck,

SS

Further maths is probably the best thing anyone can do for a Cambridge CS application, it's incredibly useful. More than any non-academic experience.

To the original poster:
I'd say it's definitely worth a shot, 88% is a respectable mark and it's probably high enough to warrant an interview. In fact, since it's for A2s as well it's even better than it seems. I think I'd mention the timetable clash to give extra context. GCSEs are obviously excellent (congrats) and your A level grades seem high so I'd go for it.
Original post by TVIO
x

His offer will only be for 3 A-Levels. Further Maths will be the most useful for his degree but it's nothing he won't cover in the first year of studies. As long as you smash the CSAT, it's not particularly going to help your application anymore than getting A*A*A.

Whereas working on a project or getting some real-world experience shows a broader understanding and passion for the subject.

Either route is fine if you've got the material to make it but personally I feel like academic + something else gives you a bit more depth.

SS
Original post by Supersaps
His offer will only be for 3 A-Levels. Further Maths will be the most useful for his degree but it's nothing he won't cover in the first year of studies. As long as you smash the CSAT, it's not particularly going to help your application anymore than getting A*A*A.

Whereas working on a project or getting some real-world experience shows a broader understanding and passion for the subject.

Either route is fine if you've got the material to make it but personally I feel like academic + something else gives you a bit more depth.

SS

I would do both, though it might be worth talking to an admissions tutor. My offer was A*A*A*A Maths further maths computing and physics with maths and further maths needing to be A* and it seemed like they were very keen on people having further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending