The Student Room Group

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - Help, I missed my medical school offer!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Natalierm2707
It depends where you apply really, some assess the PS pre interview and score it and some dont even look at it.

I am currently trying to access the "Gateway to Medicine" offered by St Andrews as I meet some of their requirements.

Do you have any idea which universities aren't too reliant on the PS, as I think that will be to my advantage seeing as it appears to have let me down in the previous year.

thank you
Original post by Y_A98
I am currently trying to access the "Gateway to Medicine" offered by St Andrews as I meet some of their requirements.

Do you have any idea which universities aren't too reliant on the PS, as I think that will be to my advantage seeing as it appears to have let me down in the previous year.

thank you

It is easier if I tell you which ones score them as a factor pre interview so you can avoid them:
- Bristol (roughly 70% weighting on PS pre interview).
- Edinburgh
- Keele
- KCL
- Liverpool
- Manchester
- Nottingham
- Sheffield
- St andrews
of those above I would say Bristol, keele, liverpool and sheffield are personal statement heavy.
Reply 62
Cardiff you would have been rejected because you got 25/27 which did not meet the interview cut off, for nottingham it looks like it may have been either your UKCAT or PS.

You really need to work on your interview technique if you get interviews this cycle, most med schools are MMI now and you need to get preparing for them!

do you have any advice on preparing for mmi as i have one next week?
Original post by elsa10

prepare like any other interview, practice saying answers to certain questions with family or in the mirror, read up on recent news articles, make sure you know your personal statement by heart and can back each point you made up.
Reply 64
It is easier if I tell you which ones score them as a factor pre interview so you can avoid them:
- Bristol (roughly 70% weighting on PS pre interview).
- Edinburgh
- Keele
- KCL
- Liverpool
- Manchester
- Nottingham
- Sheffield
- St andrews
of those above I would say Bristol, keele, liverpool and sheffield are personal statement heavy.

Original post by Y_A98

thank you

Manchester don't rely on the PS at all. They look at the Non Academic Information form that they make you fill out. I much prefer this. You can use parts of your PS but it's far easier to make yourself look good on it. They might look at the odd PS but its mainly the form you have to fill.

HYMS don't put much weight on your PS in order to give you an interview. Academics and UKCAT are used to shortlist for interview.
Reply 65
Original post by elsa10

Try and find out the things they like to assess at the MMI. They usually give vague guidelines such as testing motivation for medicine/teamworking/problem solving etc.

This gives you a better idea on what to prepare and think about. Practice common questions and how you'd answer them. Questions might vary slightly but you should be able to draw on what you've practiced.

Think up a few examples from work experience/voluntary work which have aspects of what they're looking for so you can always whip out an example to demonstrate and fill out the answers!
Original post by JayAhm
Manchester don't rely on the PS at all. They look at the Non Academic Information form that they make you fill out. I much prefer this. You can use parts of your PS but it's far easier to make yourself look good on it. They might look at the odd PS but its mainly the form you have to fill.

HYMS don't put much weight on your PS in order to give you an interview. Academics and UKCAT are used to shortlist for interview.

Thats what i meant for manchester, its similar to the kind of thing you would put on your PS, keele is the same they use the R&R form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Thats what i meant for manchester, its similar to the kind of thing you would put on your PS, keele is the same they use the R&R form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup :smile:

On a personal note, I didn't like the Keele R&R form. It's worth looking at these forms and what they ask before applying.

With the Keele form, I felt it was more restrictive than the Manchester form. Character limit was lower and the questions felt more specific rather than more open. And I just didn't feel like it fit me and what I had to offer. The Manchester one was brilliant. I read through a copy of mine the other day and I definitely came across well on that, if I say so myself! Not so much with the Keele form!

Although saying that, not sure how well I did with Keele, I withdrew my application from them early as I'd got offers from my top 3 choices.
Original post by JayAhm
Yup :smile:

On a personal note, I didn't like the Keele R&R form. It's worth looking at these forms and what they ask before applying.

With the Keele form, I felt it was more restrictive than the Manchester form. Character limit was lower and the questions felt more specific rather than more open. And I just didn't feel like it fit me and what I had to offer. The Manchester one was brilliant. I read through a copy of mine the other day and I definitely came across well on that, if I say so myself! Not so much with the Keele form!

Although saying that, not sure how well I did with Keele, I withdrew my application from them early as I'd got offers from my top 3 choices.

I looked into both before applying and have to agree that the manchester form was much less restrictive and allowed for more personality and depth to come across than Keeles R&R form.
In my opinion these forms are so much better than personal statements for assessing applicants, personal statements are so wide open and often applicants can have their thoughts lost through drafting and redrafting. The word limit is so small to fit such a large bank of information and reflection in and I just think these forms summarise nicely for applicants what the universities want you to focus on and want to see.
Reply 69
I looked into both before applying and have to agree that the manchester form was much less restrictive and allowed for more personality and depth to come across than Keeles R&R form.
In my opinion these forms are so much better than personal statements for assessing applicants, personal statements are so wide open and often applicants can have their thoughts lost through drafting and redrafting. The word limit is so small to fit such a large bank of information and reflection in and I just think these forms summarise nicely for applicants what the universities want you to focus on and want to see.

PRSOM. I need to start rating some other people, I keep going to rate your posts! Stop it with the posts I need to keep rating! lol

I'm glad it's not just me then that felt like that with the Manchester/Keele forms! Completely agree though, the forms are definitely better than the PS.
Original post by melanin101
I only had one offer for medicine (no insurance because i really hate biomed). I was already scared because track didn't update. I went to school and found out I missed my offer by quite a bit. I called the medical school and they told me they were still reviewing my application and that I should hear back within a week. I told this to the head of sixth form and he was (quite rightly) kind of pissed so he demanded to speak to them. He did and they said I would hear back later in the day.

I get home and around 7 hours later the med school calls to tell me that I have secured a place! UCAS track then updated half an hour later. So results day was kind of a roller coaster ride for me haha.

I would like to give a big thank you to all the helpful guys and girls on here. I honestly couldn't have done it without the wealth of information on the medicine subforum, the wiki and the users who would always take their time to answer my silly questions. I hope to stay active so I can help future applicants the same way you guys helped me. You da real MVPs. Keep doing what you do!

And lastly good luck to all the applicants who didn't make it this year. There are other routes into medicine, it's sometimes a bit of a trek but if you put your mind to it you can definitely do it. And though it feels like it now, medicine is not the be-all-end-all! There are people I know who didn't get in and they are going on to do fantastic things!

Once again, thank you and best of luck!

heya do you mind me asking what final grades you achieved? Which uni will you be attending? Congrats future doctor! :smile:
Original post by Y_A98
Help!! what do i do to give myself the best chance of getting in to medicine

Achieved A*AA at A-levels and 8 A* 2 A for GCSE
Scored an average of 704 on the UKCAT

Got 4 rejections for Medicine, and also been rejected by SGUL this morning after an interview yesterday,
i am really disappointed and unsure what to do next, medicine is really the only course that I want to do

thank you

wow!!! incredible stats!

Was the sgul interview via clearing? what was the process you went through for the clearing interview?

also, you must take a gap year and apply again! it may not be the easiest thing to consider right now, trust me, i totally know! but gap years do wonders for character development and you'll look back and feel happy to have had the experience!

keep going - determination and drive will really show in these interviews.

i have had mmi interview practice, so any questions, message me
My brother's remark just came back and it's gone up by 9UMS marks (shocking how the first examiner could've messed that up), changing his grade to an A!

Now that he meets his original offer conditions for medicine, he's trying to call up King's now and inform them to hopefully get his place back, providing they still have places and also since it's before that ultimate deadline of 31st August. Hopefully they'll say yes - if no, I'm expecting them to offer him a deferred place for next year. :smile:
Original post by sunnybacon
My brother's remark just came back and it's gone up by 9UMS marks (shocking how the first examiner could've messed that up), changing his grade to an A!

Now that he meets his original offer conditions for medicine, he's trying to call up King's now and inform them to hopefully get his place back, providing they still have places and also since it's before that ultimate deadline of 31st August. Hopefully they'll say yes - if no, I'm expecting them to offer him a deferred place for next year. :smile:

9ums is loads! What maths module was remarked and what board?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgeboy989
9ums is loads! What maths module was remarked and what board?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just asked him and he said he had all 3 modules this year remarked - C3, C4 and S2, with Edexcel. I'm not sure what the breakdown of the 9UMS increase was between the three papers. Spoke to his teacher on the phone and the teacher said Edexcel have been notoriously bad - the most grade changes post-remark come from Edexcel apparently. He said the school are probably going to write a letter of complaint because a few other students have had the same thing with Edexcel remarks that've come back.

I am so so pleased for him! Well deserved and its shocking how bad that can be!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am so so pleased for him! Well deserved and its shocking how bad that can be!

Thank you! Still no official confirmation from Kings saying his place has been reinstated but I'm expecting that email to come tomorrow morning (hopefully) :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you! Still no official confirmation from Kings saying his place has been reinstated but I'm expecting that email to come tomorrow morning (hopefully) :smile:

Good luck, I'm sure he'll get it! It's nice to see the corrupt system amend itself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgeboy989
Good luck, I'm sure he'll get it! It's nice to see the corrupt system amend itself!

They've sent him a very generic email this morning saying his remark has been forwarded on to the Head of Undergraduate Admissions and he'll hear back about their decision "by the end of the week". Seems ridiculous to me, what decision is there to make, the remark is an A so he's met the offer! Arggh more unnecessary stress until we hear back with more information from them :frown:

EDIT: Dad rang them up and had a very stern rant about how it's not acceptable to be so vague about it, and about 10 mins later they confirmed his place and his UCAS status has changed :biggrin::smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
They've sent him a very generic email this morning saying his remark has been forwarded on to the Head of Undergraduate Admissions and he'll hear back about their decision "by the end of the week". Seems ridiculous to me, what decision is there to make, the remark is an A so he's met the offer! Arggh more unnecessary stress until we hear back with more information from them :frown:

JUST READ THE EDIT!!
WELL DONE! So so happy for him ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending