The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentsixth
I would've thought 690 would be second octile or just under. Definitely not fourth.

Yeah, fourth is probably harsh. I'm sure someone told me last year's octiles but I can't find it.

I had 712.5 last year and that was apparently 2nd octile.

Where are you applying?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jamie860
Thanks for the advice! I'm not 100% sure, possibly Dundee as it's the medical school I'm most familiar with. Congrats on getting in!

Dundee is great! I did medic insight at ninewells, was involved in reach Tayside, and volunteered as a simulated patient there, so I know it back to front. I couldn't resist Glasgow city though!

Thanks! I'm really relieved to have jumped through the last of the hoops. So excited to start in a few weeks.

Good luck with your application!

Has anyone who has completed their UKCAT have a Kaplan Online I could use? PM me :smile:
Original post by Jitesh
The extra 3 practice tests, right?

Yes. I found the passages much longer and harder (especially the 8th mock) but they've helped in my VR substantially as I just got my first 800 for it (was previously getting between 670-700). The AR and QR are generally at the same difficulty as 1-6. I would personally get it for the VR.
Original post by MoshBosh
Around 70%

Thanks for the reply, what would 70% give as a mark out of 900 approximately?
LOL i only just realised how much of a dumb question this was, don't answer its simple maths haha god help me!*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lostperson
seriously VR is killing me... anyone has a solid strategy they stuck to??

I find VR easier than AR. My strategy for VR is to scan the text and try to get as much info as possible then answering the questions shouldn't take you much time as you should be able to remember where to find the answer. I think this is a much better strategy than reading a Question then looking for the answer but that's just my opinion :smile:
Original post by muz360
Yeah, fourth is probably harsh. I'm sure someone told me last year's octiles but I can't find it.

I had 712.5 last year and that was apparently 2nd octile.

Where are you applying?

It was 720 last year so you were really close! :frown: I'd LOVE to apply to Kings and Edinburgh but obviously I need to prepare for if my UKCAT doesn't go as well as planned (I've only just started to hit 700 on my averages in the mocks) so I'm not getting my hopes up yet! You?
Original post by Lostperson
seriously VR is killing me... anyone has a solid strategy they stuck to??

I think you just need to keep practicing as you'll start to get familiar with statements that are most likely to be right and which ones are most likely to be wrong. After that, I would just guess the statement that seems the best fit and look for it in the passage. If it's not there, then that statement would be wrong which then narrows it down to the other three choices. Then I tend to click the next best and move on because of the tight timing!
Yes. I found the passages much longer and harder (especially the 8th mock) but they've helped in my VR substantially as I just got my first 800 for it (was previously getting between 670-700). The AR and QR are generally at the same difficulty as 1-6. I would personally get it for the VR.

How did you get 9 practice tests???
It was 720 last year so you were really close! :frown: I'd LOVE to apply to Kings and Edinburgh but obviously I need to prepare for if my UKCAT doesn't go as well as planned (I've only just started to hit 700 on my averages in the mocks) so I'm not getting my hopes up yet! You?

Sounds good! Any inclinations for the other two?

Hopefully you'll smash it. It seems like most people have been improving upon mock scores in the real thing. I certainly found the official mocks MUCH harder than the actual test. If you're getting 700 on those you should be golden. When's the big day?

I'm through the process now! Got offers from Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Starting at Glasgow in a couple of weeks! Can't wait.

Original post by koolgurl14
I find VR easier than AR. My strategy for VR is to scan the text and try to get as much info as possible then answering the questions shouldn't take you much time as you should be able to remember where to find the answer. I think this is a much better strategy than reading a Question then looking for the answer but that's just my opinion :smile:

thanks for replying, are you able to do this in the time frame well?? i tried this and keep finishing each set in about 2.5-3 minutes- way over time-!!
I think you just need to keep practicing as you'll start to get familiar with statements that are most likely to be right and which ones are most likely to be wrong. After that, I would just guess the statement that seems the best fit and look for it in the passage. If it's not there, then that statement would be wrong which then narrows it down to the other three choices. Then I tend to click the next best and move on because of the tight timing!

yeh..i mean I'm making a list of things like, if you come across words like "ALWAYS, ALL, Never- the statement is unlikely to be true.. but my timing here sucks!!
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
LOL i only just realised how much of a dumb question this was, don't answer its simple maths haha god help me!*

70% is actually around 700 points in the UKCAT. If you google "UKCAT score conversion" and click on images, the first result is a table which should help :smile:
Original post by muz360
Sounds good! Any inclinations for the other two?

Hopefully you'll smash it. It seems like most people have been improving upon mock scores in the real thing. I certainly found the official mocks MUCH harder than the actual test. If you're getting 700 on those you should be golden. When's the big day?

I'm through the process now! Got offers from Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Starting at Glasgow in a couple of weeks! Can't wait.

Tuesday, Cutting it close now! That's great! Glasgow is also one of my considerations!
Tuesday, Cutting it close now! That's great! Glasgow is also one of my considerations!

Glasgow's the place to be!

Best of luck, hopefully all of the hard work pays off! It's a great feeling having the damn UKCAT behind you. Not long to go till the chains are off

Original post by MoshBosh
70% is actually around 700 points in the UKCAT. If you google "UKCAT score conversion" and click on images, the first result is a table which should help :smile:

oh really, wow! thanks i'll do just that :smile:*
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic

70% is a rough estimate though. There was a member on here who got 8 true/false/ct questions and a member who got all statement questions so try prepare for the worst case scenario!
70% is a rough estimate though. There was a member on here who got 8 true/false/ct questions and a member who got all statement questions so try prepare for the worst case scenario!

Ah yeah that's true I'm absolutely dreading my ukcat! :frown:*
Original post by Chikku_7
I am :smile:

Same here
Original post by Kings_queens
yes this is right!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending