The Student Room Group

Why dont you find smart people who are also sociable/popular?

Question ^^
I'm not sure where you live but there's loads of people in my school like that. They drink, go out to parties every weekend, smoke etc. and still get A's and A*'s... So jealous.
Reply 2
Good question.

Intelligent people tend to get less enjoyment out of being sociable than 'ordinary' people. They are often very happy in their own company.

They also have no interest in being popular.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hashtosh302
Why dont you find smart people who are also sociable/popular?

I do
Reply 4
Original post by xSailorMoonQueen
I'm not sure where you live but there's loads of people in my school like that. They drink, go out to parties every weekend, smoke etc. and still get A's and A*'s... So jealous.

thats because they either
1) revise in secret in their spare time and tell no one

2) if its gcse then you should't be suprised and all it takes is memory
Reply 5
Original post by stefano865
Good question.

Intelligent people tend to get less enjoyment out of being sociable than 'ordinary' people. They are often very happy in their own company.

They also have no interest in being popular.

ok ands why that?
I'm a straight A student at AS levels and I'm sociable... go out with friends or to parties reasonably regularly
I'm very popular irl and I was diasgnosted as a.. Gifted person ? (Sorry Idk how to translate that but you know, IQ above the average) so no it's not true :K:
Reply 8
Erm, they're very common lol
Maybe like 2/3 of the "gifted and talented" group we had in school were sociable and popular
(edited 7 years ago)
It's probably due to the way the brain works and how their worldview is created.
If a child is raised within a confident setting- say parents are teachers or work in business they tend to be more confident.

It all depends on how the brain relates to the world and how the worldview is shaped.
I'm a smart student and quite sociable. Also many other people in my school I know that are sociable and intelligent.
Look at all these self-proclaimed smart people :biggrin:.
Original post by XOR_

it's not self-proclaimed if you have the grades to back it up...
You just haven't searched hard enough 👍🏼
Original post by XOR_

Who are also sociable/popular
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
I'm very popular irl and I was diasgnosted as a.. Gifted person ? (Sorry Idk how to translate that but you know, IQ above the average) so no it's not true :K:

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Erm, they're very common lol
Maybe like 2/3 of the "gifted and talented" group we had in school were sociable and popular

Original post by richpanda
I'm a straight A student at AS levels and I'm sociable... go out with friends or to parties reasonably regularly

I mean popular within everyone in your year, not just your small group of friends
Original post by richpanda
it's not self-proclaimed if you have the grades to back it up...

Grades aren't a true measure of Intelligence.
Explain how 14 marks are the difference between A and E on some papers!

It's a measure of knowledge and application with the ability to handle pressure in a set time.
Original post by Hashtosh302
I mean popular within everyone in your year, not just your small group of friends

._. I meant popular with everyone in my school 🤔 + around the world 🤔🤔🤔 so yeah :h:
a lot of people think that i'm smart yet sociable, it's just that i revise enough that i don't burn out, and balance this with going out with mates and catching up with people.

Quick Reply