The Student Room Group

Missed Uni offer, Gap Year??

Missed my offer to study Econ at a top london uni needed A*AA but i got AAC pretty upset. I have been thinking hard and now I have decided to change plans and hopefully do compsci now at uni. My problem is that I took compsci at gcse and got an A but at As got a D. My plan is to take the whole compsci A level AS + A2 in a gap year and hopefully get a B or even an A, but im not sure weather uni's will treat this as taking A Levels over 3 years or res-siting As again. Which might be a problem because i retook 3 As exams before. To get to the point under this situation could I still get an offer for compsci at a uni asking for AAB even if meet the offer.
Reply 1
please keep this anonymous
Do it
Universities do not get notified if you've re-taken a-levels, it would be pointless as some people fail because of illness or family issues, all they are interested in is your final grades and if they meet the level they want. Take it from someone who has been to 3 different universities all over the UK. :smile: if your passionate and ready to commit to the work, do it! dont let anyone stop you :smile:
Reply 4
These are cracking grades which must offer a host of opportunities. I imagine a bit of research and in to clearing would get you in some where to study economics or computer science. Or if you can afford and want to take a gap year reapply with your grades known and do something different and worthwhile for a year.
king's college compsci? just call them up now and see if you can get in with your current grades this year..
Reply 6
Original post by tanyapotter
king's college compsci? just call them up now and see if you can get in with your current grades this year..

I couldnt because the requirements were AAB :frown:.
Top universities will still take you for economics with those grades. It depends on how you approach them. There is no need for you to take gap year
Reply 8
Thanks for your posts everyone. So my understanding is as long as I meet the requirements, I wont be at major disadvantage even though I got a D at AS but plan to take the whole A level in my gap year??
Reply 9
Original post by RelucBeam
Top universities will still take you for economics with those grades. It depends on how you approach them. There is no need for you to take gap year

I'm thinking to change to compsi now, because I enjoy computing more.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm thinking to change to compsi now, because I enjoy computing more.

That's okay. Just call them and explain the situation emotively and logically. With AAC you can be confident that they'll have a place for you.
Did you do A-level maths? Nottingham university took someone in with BBC for their AAB computer science course. KCL also might give you a space, they took in someone with BBB for an AAA course. Try their clearing services and make sure you give a passionate pitch, they might still have a space for you.
Original post by RelucBeam
That's okay. Just call them and explain the situation emotively and logically. With AAC you can be confident that they'll have a place for you.

Thanks mate, I will ring some unis in the next few days!!
Original post by grassntai
Did you do A-level maths? Nottingham university took someone in with BBC for their AAB computer science course. KCL also might give you a space, they took in someone with BBB for an AAA course. Try their clearing services and make sure you give a passionate pitch, they might still have a space for you.

Thanjs mate, I took Maths, Ecob and FMaths. I shall call some unis soon though if I was rejected this year would this impact my chances next year when I retake my as and take my a2.
Original post by Anonymous
if I was rejected this year would this impact my chances next year when I retake my as and take my a2.

Not unless you're aiming for the top 5 universities (Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL). I don't think an A-level in computer science is even necessary, A-level maths is though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending