The Student Room Group

Can you work for a magic circle firm if you graduate from a low ranked uni?

(edited 6 years ago)
I don't have any hard figures to assuage your fears with. But I know of at least 6 trainees currently training at Magic Circle (well mostly Clifford Chance) and an American firm and they went to a range of universities that are roughly similarly ranked as yours, if not lower. I should add that only 1 of them had an LLM (from Cambridge), 2 had 5 years' work experience and were mature candidates and the remaining 3 paralegalled for 1-2 years before landing their TCs.

Make of that anecdotal evidence what you will.
Original post by arrowhead
I don't have any hard figures to assuage your fears with. But I know of at least 6 trainees currently training at Magic Circle (well mostly Clifford Chance) and an American firm and they went to a range of universities that are roughly similarly ranked as yours, if not lower. I should add that only 1 of them had an LLM (from Cambridge), 2 had 5 years' work experience and were mature candidates and the remaining 3 paralegalled for 1-2 years before landing their TCs.

Make of that anecdotal evidence what you will.

Thank you for the response. So if I do end up getting an LLM from a top law school such as Harvard it will count? I do not want my undergraduate influencing a negative attitude.
Original post by billy_k
Thank you for the response. So if I do end up getting an LLM from a top law school such as Harvard it will count? I do not want my undergraduate influencing a negative attitude.

I'm sure it would count to some extent. But I will quote an unnamed Recruitment representative from a law firm whom I spoke to when I was a second-year at uni and specifically asked about Master's degrees. She said to me that doing a Master's is a wonderful thing for any candidate as it shows a development of their understanding of their subject and a certain amount of intellect for pursuing it. But doing a Master's to cover up for a lacklustre undergraduate performance will not work. Do it because you want to and wish to explore your subject in greater depth, not to impress potential employers.
Original post by billy_k
So I am at a low ranked law school in the U.K (52) but on route for a first class honours degree. Once I graduate from this university I aspire to either complete the Harvard LLM or the Oxford BCL. I am worried than even if I get an LLM from a to uni, that I will not get a training contract because my LLB was from a low ranked uni.

If you get first class LLB, then you're on the right path and stand fair chances. Apply to the magic circle firms stating your ambitions, both professional and academic. Some applications actually have coded a system wherein you can choose to answer that you are planning to do an LLM in the future, state the dates, course and university. I'd apply for LLMs and Magic Circle simultaneously and choose the best offers. For example, some firms may choose to fund your LPC and/or LLM, and some universities may choose to fund partially or in full your LLM. They key is again getting your first class LLB.
I've completed two Vacation Schemes at Magic Circle firms. Being totally honest, out of the 65 students doing the schemes, 75% attended Oxbridge, and the other 25% attended the usual suspects. The lowest ranked uni I came across was York (where I attend).

This doesn't mean it's impossible, but it will be difficult. A first in your undergrad and an impressive LLM will surely increase your chances however.
Original post by Conzy210
I've completed two Vacation Schemes at Magic Circle firms. Being totally honest, out of the 65 students doing the schemes, 75% attended Oxbridge, and the other 25% attended the usual suspects. The lowest ranked uni I came across was York (where I attend).

This doesn't mean it's impossible, but it will be difficult. A first in your undergrad and an impressive LLM will surely increase your chances however.

So would you suggest that I do something like a Politics degree from York/Leeds and then do the GDL to stand a better chance?
Original post by InvestmentBankin
I'd apply for LLMs and Magic Circle simultaneously and choose the best offers. For example, some firms may choose to fund your LPC and/or LLM, and some universities may choose to fund partially or in full your LLM. They key is again getting your first class LLB.

Would I not be a stronger candidate once I receive a strong LLM and pass the New York Bar?
Original post by arrowhead
I'm sure it would count to some extent. But I will quote an unnamed Recruitment representative from a law firm whom I spoke to when I was a second-year at uni and specifically asked about Master's degrees. She said to me that doing a Master's is a wonderful thing for any candidate as it shows a development of their understanding of their subject and a certain amount of intellect for pursuing it. But doing a Master's to cover up for a lacklustre undergraduate performance will not work. Do it because you want to and wish to explore your subject in greater depth, not to impress potential employers.

So would it be better to go to a Russell Group to do a non - law degree such as Politics and then do the GDL?
Original post by billy_k
So would you suggest that I do something like a Politics degree from York/Leeds and then do the GDL to stand a better chance?

In all honesty, yes. Although York and Leeds still aren't the firms most represented at top City firms, but way more so than MMU.
In all honesty, yes. Although York and Leeds still aren't the firms most represented at top City firms, but way more so than MMU.

But Wouldn't a Harvard or Oxford LLM and passing of the New York Bar help? I'm not sure I want to study a different degree to law
Original post by billy_k
But Wouldn't a Harvard or Oxford LLM and passing of the New York Bar help? I'm not sure I want to study a different degree to law

They would help, yes. But I can't imagine many if anyone gets into either institution from a genuinely low ranked uni.

The NY is honestly irrelevant.

The degree point is valid, but it depends on what you want and how badly you want it.
They would help, yes. But I can't imagine many if anyone gets into either institution from a genuinely low ranked uni.

The NY is honestly irrelevant.

The degree point is valid, but it depends on what you want and how badly you want it.

But hypothetically if I could make it to a top LLM, would that increase my chances at a good firm?
And I saw a girl from uni of Essex to go on to get a BCL from Oxford :redface:
Original post by billy_k
But hypothetically if I could make it to a top LLM, would that increase my chances at a good firm?
And I saw a girl from uni of Essex to go on to get a BCL from Oxford :redface:

Yes, clearly. However, you would probably need to get the highest grade amongst your cohort and even then it will be tough.
Yes, clearly. However, you would probably need to get the highest grade amongst your cohort and even then it will be tough.

Ok thank you for your advice. I shall act upon it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest