The Student Room Group

You've probably not failed.

Lemme tell y'all a story. A story of the little nerd who could. For most of my educational carrier I was a total potato, and not even a high quality potato, I'm talking a potato than even a starving Irishman would think twice about. My GCSE's were terrible, mostly U's, E's, (I got a C in maths, though, woooo!) and my first attempt at A-level was pretty much the same. I think maths was the only one I passed at AS-level, with an E. I quickly became what teachers might refer to as a 'tumble dryer student' I kept going around and around, without getting anywhere, always thinking "Meh, I'll do better next time." After my 3rd attempt at AS, at my 6th form, (And 3rd fail, woo. Go me.) I started getting really depressed. Like "Mate, pass me that fat shot of bleach and I'll have a Windex chaser" kind of depressed. Eventually I managed to punch myself right in the reality (boy, did that hurt) and realise that I actually had to turn myself around.
So, then I went to college, my 4th attempt at A-levels. And here's the thing: I'm not naturally smart and just lazy, I'm pretty average and (was) lazy, so, I worked my ass off (And trust me, after a year of ice-cream fuelled depression, that's a big ass to work off.) I knew this was my last chance to make something of myself.

Here I am now, at 21, with a lot of work and some good guidance from my college staff, I'm going off to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge (I don't even have any decent work experience. Whoever said you needed excellent GCES's, no resits and tones of experience to get in was lying through their teeth.) I'm not here to gloat, I'm here to try to convince you guys, particularly you guys who perhaps haven't got the results you may have wanted, who might feel a bit down, who don't know what to do now - It's not the end of the line. To quote George Eliot: "It's never too late to be what you might have been." You can pick yourself up, you can make something of yourself. You, too, can be the little nerd who could.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhisperingTide
Lemme tell y'all a story. A story of the little nerd who could. For most of my educational carrier I was a total potato, and not even a high quality potato, I'm talking a potato than even a starving Irishman would think twice about. My GCSE's were terrible, mostly U's, E's, (I got a C in maths, though, woooo!) and my first attempt at A-level was pretty much the same. I think maths was the only one I passed at AS-level, with an E. I quickly became what teachers might refer to as a 'tumble dryer student' I kept going around and around, without getting anywhere, always thinking "Meh, I'll do better next time." After my 3rd attempt at AS, at my 6th form, (And 3rd fail, woo. Go me.) I started getting really depressed. Like "Mate, pass me that fat shot of bleach and I'll have a Windex chaser" kind of depressed. Eventually I managed to punch myself right in the reality (boy, did that hurt) and realise that I actually had to turn myself around.
So, then I went to college, my 4th attempt at A-levels. And here's the thing: I'm not naturally smart and just lazy, I'm pretty average and (was) lazy, so, I worked my ass off (And trust me, after a year of ice-cream fuelled depression, that's a big ass to work off.) I knew this was my last chance to make something of myself.

Here I am now, at 21, with a lot of work and some good guidance from my college staff, I'm going off to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge (I don't even have any decent work experience. Whoever said you needed excellent GCES's, no resits and tones of experience to get in was lying through their teeth.) I'm not here to gloat, I'm here to try to convince you guys, particularly you guys who perhaps haven't got the results you may have wanted, who might feel a bit down, who don't know what to do now - It's not the end of the line. To quote George Eliot: "It's never too late to be what you might have been." You can pick yourself up, you can make something of yourself. You, too, can be the little nerd who could.

damnn man, if this true,
it is HIGHLY motivatiing

Awesome post! Incredibly entertaining and inspiring! I'm 21 too! I did average at gcse's below average at a btec in art and design, went and started to study A levels, did pretty well only for the new education provider to drop a levels. spent 2 years on and off jobseekers and battling depression. Then one day i was on the sims designing a house because i'm literally obsessed with interior design and I watch interior design programs continuously and always wanted to buy and design my own house. Then i realized interior design was a career and on a whim i started looking around universities and found an interior design course really close to me and applied and got in pretty much instantly. well I got off the phone and burst out crying. After all that struggling and thinking i'm never gonna get there I got there. Even when you think there is no way. There is always a way!
Reply 3
This is awesome, congratulation to you as well! Hopefully I'll be able to post a similar story one day.
Screencap your acceptance to Cambridge, cut any personal details out using paint and post it here.
Screenshot_2016-08-19-03-53-37.png
Original post by Archdukes
Screencap your acceptance to Cambridge, cut any personal details out using paint and post it here.

Really? Do I really have a reason to lie?

Anyway, there's a screenshot. (From my phone, if it's messed up I'll fix it in the morning.)
This is beautiful

Congratulations! :h:
He went to college
Reply 8
Screenshot_2016-08-19-03-53-37.png

Really? Do I really have a reason to lie?

Anyway, there's a screenshot. (From my phone, if it's messed up I'll fix it in the morning.)

What A-Level grades did you get in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
What A-Level grades did you get in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, Further Maths, Physics - A*
Chemistry - A (5 UMS OFF OF AN A* *angry fist shake*)
Biology - C

A pretty big step up from my original UUUE when I first did AS.
Reply 10
So you spent 5 years at college/sixth form?

i mean good for you if that's what you wanted but damn man, was it really worth losing 3 years of your life?
Biology - C

Nice set of results, well done on your achievements

Any tips for maths and further maths? What did you do differently?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NotYaboy
So you spent 5 years at college/sixth form?

i mean good for you if that's what you wanted but damn man, was it really worth losing 3 years of your life?

Losing? It's not like I wasn't doing anything else at the time, besides, the first 3 years were lost to depression anyway and the last two I just treated it like a job, I met some amazing people and had some amazin eexperiences. I can't think of a better way to have spent those two years.
But that's not the point. The point is, for those who are disappointed by their results, it doesn't mean they can't ultimately achieve their goals.

Original post by AdeptDz
Nice set of results, well done on your achievements

Any tips for maths and further maths? What did you do differently?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Khan Academy, Issac Physics and a lot of past papers. I found it helped to keep a list of mistakes that I commonly made, and if I find that I had made a conceptual error, I'd get it fixed immediately. If a problem was hard I'd split the page in two, write my incorrect solution on one side and the markscheme on the other to pinpoint the error. I would recommend the book 'Higher Engineering Mathematics
Incredible bro.

I always say that hard work is the most important factor in success (rather than natural ability) and this story backs that up.
Biology - C

This is truly an amazing and inspirational story! Well done!
In the long run, it won't matter that you did your a levels in three years or four what will matter is that you attended Cambridge university for your undergrad - which will invariably open up so many doors for you. Thank you for sharing your story! :smile:
We're you doing a part time job whilst resitting your a levels all these times? How did your parents feel about resitting?
Original post by Pinkberry_y
We're you doing a part time job whilst resitting your a levels all these times? How did your parents feel about resitting?

Yes and a combination of frustrated and supportive.
Inspiring story

I always assumed Cambridge only gives out offers to those who complete A levels in 2 years (or 3 with exceptional circumstances)?

Good luck with uni man
Reply 18
Well I feel 10 times better now when I go get them GCSE results on the 25th. Really shows that you'll only every achieve anything if you put in the hard work, because otherwise you can't expect to get the amazing grades that you dream of.

Sorry but the figures/facts don't add up. If you took four attempts at a levels, and needed to go to college to pass them, a you wouldn't be 21 but 25, and b i doubt Cambridge would offer you a place, i'm sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest