The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9120
I don't understand why we don't try and buy two decent midfielders? Henderson is an absolute clogger and Wijnaldum/Lallana aren't CMs.

Our league form under Klopp is horrendous. Let's hope we can turn it around.
Original post by Fizzel
You are defensively pretty poor. Only a couple of games in, but your ability to conceded from a relatively low attacking output, that was a trend under a larger sample Klopp last season. Statically speaking, not just a little bit either, its horrendous. Its as bad as the attacking is good.

Completely agree - we just played in to Burnley's hands from the start.
Their manager must've been in dreamland when they scored an early goal; meant they could sit back and defend all game, leaving their strikers up front for quick countering.

It worked perfectly. I don't think we even created a goalscoring opportunity all game. Yet again, our awful defending and inability to break down teams who are happy to sit back is something we haven't been able to get past in the last few years.

Coutinho doing exactly what I thought; being inconsistent. Scores a wonder goal against Arsenal and then has 7 or 8 attempts today without getting anywhere near.

It just wasn't happening and that does happen from time to time. However we were against Burnley....
BURNLEY.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471725316.218387.jpg

Anybody would look at the stats and be in disbelief as to how we lost 2-0.
However they don't tell the picture in the slightest. If anything it's more embarrassing for us.

Burnley's 19% possession was almost entirely quick counters and good prospects of creating something.
Burnley's 3 shots resulted in 2 goals.
Reply 9123
Basically Liverpool got thrashed.
Cc
Typical.. :frown:
Liverpool are far too inconsistent. If they can be more consistent they can definitely challenge for top 4, maybe more.. (unfortunately)
We're not going to win or achieve anything unless we sort out the defence. 5 goals conceded and we've only completed 2 games..

Shame that it was Clyne with the poor error. He's the one I least expect it from out of our back line.
Think Klopp underestimates the quality of the lesser lights in the league. To some extent it was the same with LVG - you'd always be confident against the big teams but games like this were likely to lead to slip ups.

You badly need a CB and a LB. Where are Matip and Sakho, presumably injured?

Henderson is poor but as long as he's Saint Jordan the English Lionheart he thinks he's untouchable.
Original post by sr90
Think Klopp underestimates the quality of the lesser lights in the league. To some extent it was the same with LVG - you'd always be confident against the big teams but games like this were likely to lead to slip ups.

You badly need a CB and a LB. Where are Matip and Sakho, presumably injured?

Henderson is poor but as long as he's Saint Jordan the English Lionheart he thinks he's untouchable.

Sakho injured till probably after the international break. Not sure about Matip - can't see any news of being injured.

We just haven't been able to defend since the days of Rafa Benitez..
The main problem is the midfield. I know our defence isn't great, but they're given too much of a hard time by Liverpool fans because they are not protected at all. I can't remember the last time we had a midfield that properly protected our centre backs. And whoever plays as the left centre back essentially has to play as left back at the same time.

The midfield yesterday was embarrassing, I honestly give up on ideas, I'd try something ridiculous like a midfield 3 of Matip (deepest), Emre Can and Grujic. They wouldn't do any worse than our captain. We had 80% possession and Burnley's 20% came from Henderson passing it to their players. At least my tweet got numbers https://twitter.com/f1rmino/status/767084760879562752 :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
As Mills was suggesting in MOTD Burnley able to defend so deep knowing you had little threat from crosses. Can help feeling the squad would have benefited from a big black target man who could have provided that aerial threat...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
As Mills was suggesting in MOTD Burnley able to defend so deep knowing you had little threat from crosses. Can help feeling the squad would have benefited from a big black target man who could have provided that aerial threat...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't exactly work last season. And Origi is just as good in the air as Benteke so
Original post by Samiz
Didn't exactly work last season. And Origi is just as good in the air as Benteke so
I wasn't being completely serious, I don't advocate just throwing crosses because of one game. But Origi as good in the air as Benteke? Not a chance, it's not even debatable. Benteke's aerial game was his main source of goals at Villa, had one of the highest number of aerial balls won and highest number of headed goals in the period he was at villa. Very few players in the league comparable with him aerially.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If Henderson wasn't the captain I'm pretty sure he'd have been dropped by now, I was less than convinced by him last season, notwithstanding injuries.
Liverpool lack leaders on the pitch who can change the way the team plays. In training the team had clearly set up to play from the back to draw out Burnley attackers which would in turn leave space in the midfield to work in. However this didn't work at all because Henderson was awful. Trying to play out of the back with the two CBs miles apart left acres of space in the middle of the field for the 2 Burnley forwards to poach the ball in - which is why they scored.

Once Burnley were 2 up (and arguably 1 up), there was no space in the middle of the field for Coutinho et al to work with. At this point Liverpool should have had the smarts to change strategy a use the wingbacks to get in behind and lob crosses in and punt balls in to the box from the half way line. The problem with doing this is that you lose possession against a good team and get caught on the break, but Burnley were so deep they would have cleared the ball and given it straight back to Pool. And actually giving Burnley the ball would have given Liverpool the opportunity to regain possession when Burnley didn't have 8 men behind the ball.

At half time Klopp should have taken out Lallana (who is virtually useless once the opposition sits back) and played Origi for some height in the box and put on Moreno so that we had pace on the left (which might have induced some fouls which were lacking from Burnley) and able to whip it in off his left foot.

Henderson was appalling and I can't see how he can start ahead of Can (don't think the 2nd goal would have been conceded had he been on the pitch) or Lucas.

Hopefully this game is an eye opener for Klopp that Liverpool need to learn how to play against a team that sits back if you want to make CL. It is all fun and games gegenpressing in Cup matches where your opponents are forced to try to win, but in the league when you need to grind out wins against Watford, WBA, Sunderland, Burnley, Hull, Leicester you need to have a system to beat teams that sit back. Liverpool need to learn how to get balls booted in to the box. Even if you don't score headers, there is a chance they'll be a hand ball, or a dodgy penalty given, or penalty for shirt pulling. To emphasise just how stupid Pool were against Burnley, when they had corners, they played them short! And rather than running into the box and maybe drawing a foul to earn a penalty, they played the ball out to the centre of the pitch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yesterday must have been gegendepressing for you guys
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Yesterday must have been gegendepressing for you guys

You have no idea.

This tweet shows how Liverpool fans felt from beating Arsenal to losing vs Burnley. :lol:
Original post by Fizzel
You are defensively pretty poor. Only a couple of games in, but your ability to conceded from a relatively low attacking output, that was a trend under a larger sample Klopp last season. Statically speaking, not just a little bit either, its horrendous. Its as bad as the attacking is good.

I think last season was more down to the personell errors mainly Mignolet who either made goal conceding errors or just wasn't saving anything. That being said under Klopp we are far more prone to counter attacks, therefore the quality of chances for the opposition would be much higher. Lovren and Sakho seemed to cope fine and was our most solid partnership but Sakho is injury prone and Mignolet and Moreno (and Sakho at times) are prone to unacceptable numbers of goal conceding errors. Klavan and Lovren just isn't working atm but it is still early yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
A Liverpool fan giving me the same old spiel at work after the Arsenal game- "We're gonna be frightening this season" Man U maybe- Liverpool??.... narrowly beating a poor Arsenal side doesn't mean you are going to do wonders - Liverpool are perennial under-achievers, it's always been the way and always will be.

Latest