The Student Room Group

so what do i do now?

I got ABCC in my AS grades - English, maths, bio and chem
As for bio and chem, they are linear (as you know about the change), so would this mean that my Unis will see maths and English lit (as im dropping it) only?
this is a big concern because, my teachers might predict me AAA, but would unis then reject me by looking at my grades?
any advise is appreciated
Thank you :smile:
Original post by papajani1234
I got ABCC in my AS grades - English, maths, bio and chem
As for bio and chem, they are linear (as you know about the change), so would this mean that my Unis will see maths and English lit (as im dropping it) only?
this is a big concern because, my teachers might predict me AAA, but would unis then reject me by looking at my grades?
any advise is appreciated
Thank you :smile:

It will depend on the universities criteria unfortunately for the new system.

Some universities are disregarding AS grades and only using teachers predictions.

Whereas others are using AS level grades still if you have them.

So, what I'd recommend is:

1.Use a list of the universities to go through which schools would cater to your strengths. You haven't mentioned your GCSEs or if you've done the UKCAT but these are also factors to take into consideration. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

2. Remove the ones that would be silly to apply, for example, such as those requiring an A in maths if you have a B (can mean automatic rejection)

3. With the remaining ones check their policies regarding the new AS reforms.You should be able to find it on their website but if not email the admissions team.

4. Get back to me or anyone useful on TSR and see what they think about your options. You don't have to but if you wanted a second opinion there are tons of great medical students and doctors on here willing to help.

Kind Regards,

Mel
Work experience lead for WAMSoc
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
so for my GCSE's I got :

6A*, 6A, 1B (in french)

my UKCAT is due in sept 15th (revising for two months now)

thank you for your reply
Reply 3
Original post by WAMSocSOTON
It will depend on the universities criteria unfortunately for the new system.

Some universities are disregarding AS grades and only using teachers predictions.

Whereas others are using AS level grades still if you have them.

So, what I'd recommend is:

1.Use a list of the universities to go through which schools would cater to your strengths. You haven't mentioned your GCSEs or if you've done the UKCAT but these are also factors to take into consideration. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

2. Remove the ones that would be silly to apply, for example, such as those requiring an A in maths if you have a B (can mean automatic rejection)

3. With the remaining ones check their policies regarding the new AS reforms.You should be able to find it on their website but if not email the admissions team.

4. Get back to me or anyone useful on TSR and see what they think about your options. You don't have to but if you wanted a second opinion there are tons of great medical students and doctors on here willing to help.

Kind Regards,

Mel
Work experience lead for WAMSoc

Sorry, also do you know which Uni's are disregarding the AS and only using teacher predictions? this would be of great help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending