The Student Room Group

Is my degree classification enough to apply for an MPhil at Cambridge?

University of Essex, BSc Biochemistry, 2.1 (67%)

Because Essex isn't the best uni, would Cambridge expect a First?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the course and its requirements
Original post by Exceptional
Depends on the course and its requirements

Just says

Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK II.i Honours Degree.
For many courses this is good enough
Original post by User1014865

Super weird, I just graduated from Essex Genetics, 1st (73%) and will be starting my MPhil in October at Cambridge, so you have a shot.

Feel free to PM me.

In general, Cambridge (and Oxford) usually expects an applicant to their postgraduate course from other universities (even from top RG unis) to have a first but not always the case.

Best thing for you to find out how they'll deal with your case is to contact the postgraduate admission office of the department you're thinking of applying as application for PG varies a lot.
Also, this is a forum mainly for Cambridge undergraduate students and applicants. There's a separate forum for postgraduate in TSR, so you'll probably find useful info for you more there than here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Saliency
Super weird, I just graduated from Essex Genetics, 1st (73%) and will be starting my MPhil in October at Cambridge, so you have a shot.

Feel free to PM me.

Ha, we've probably met!
Original post by vincrows
In general, Cambridge (and Oxford) expects an applicant to their postgraduate course from other universities to have a first.
Best thing for you to find out how they'll deal with your case is to contact the postgraduate admission office of the department you're thinking of applying as application for PG varies a lot.
Also, this is a forum mainly for Cambridge undergraduate students and applicants. There's a separate forum for postgraduate in TSR, so you'll probably find useful info for you more there than here.

I think the min they accept is 67% because they appreciate the "near missers". On track to get a First but suffered from depression in my final year (got a low 2.1, missed a First by 2 marks in my dissertation).Grades in my 1st and 2nd year are significantly better than my 3rd.
I think the min they accept is 67% because they appreciate the "near missers". On track to get a First but suffered from depression in my final year (got a low 2.1, missed a First by 2 marks in my dissertation).Grades in my 1st and 2nd year are significantly better than my 3rd.

You need to speak to them if you want to know. :wink:
Send them email.
You need to speak to them if you want to know. :wink:
Send them email.

Ok, thanks :smile:
Reply 10

The university is not important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK. There just seems to be a lot of emphasis placed on Russell Group Universities.
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can be very important. Reference can plays a bigger part in application for PG course than UG. And where you're from (= quality of teaching you had and by who) can affect the application.
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is important.
Reply 14
It can be very important. Reference can plays a bigger part in application for PG course than UG. And where you're from (= quality of teaching you had and by who) can affect the application.

There's an FOI request from Cambridge showing prior universities before doing a Masters, Essex is represented. The range of universities is actually extremely diverse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinpeaks
It is important.

My CV will most definitely make up for it.
Original post by jneill
There's an FOI request from Cambridge showing prior universities before doing a Masters, Essex is represented. The range of universities is actually extremely diverse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it show number of students from each university and their individual details?
Of course their PG courses are not exclusive only to a first holders from top RG unis , but I think it's fair to say they are a large majority.
Also, if it's a research degree, my *impression*'is that their entry requirement is not as strict as a taught-degree. And people on part-time course seem to come from more varied backgrounds, often with a few year's career in the real world between, so a university they got their UG degree from matters much less. But it does if you're applying straight from UG uni.
(edited 7 years ago)

It is quite good to get good reference from someone who knows you well AND in the field of study you're applying for, probably someone in your university. If he/she is someone who is highly regarded in the field, it can help a lot.

I wasn't specifically referring to you with that post. Essex is a good uni and has improved a lot in recent years. I was referring to bottom/ low middle ranking unis.

I think if you have a good CV you'll definitely have a good chance.
Reply 19
Original post by Twinpeaks
It is important.

Average offer rate across all preceeding universities prior to applying for a Cambridge masters is 36%. For Essex specifically it's 24%, so a bit lower but by no means insurmountable...

Sussex (non RG) has an Offer rate of 40%

Raw FOI
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2

Spreadsheet
http://bit.ly/CambridgeMastersCrozierData

Edit: just to add TSR's own view of the question:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Getting_into_Oxbridge_for_Postgraduate_Study#Does_the_ranking_of_your_university_affect_where_you_can_go_for_postgrad.3F
"The admissions tutors will be able to pick out the best students wherever you did your undergraduate studies."
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest