The Student Room Group

Will the SJW movement grow larger and take over, or will it soon fizzle out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
This isn't a thread bashing liberals. I don't think you really know is meant by "SJW". Most SJWs are about as liberal as Stalin, although they generally have too little idea of actual political concepts for that comparison to be relevant. An SJW wouldn't post up a video of a straight white "cis-gender" able-bodied well off man explaining something.

I strongly support freedom of speech so if there is a group of people who claim to be liberals who are working to silence opposition then I definitely do not consider myself one of them. However, there seems to have been a saturation of the term SJW to attack anybody who proposes liberal policies. So there could be a free speech issue on both sides.

Perhaps I am a bit ignorant because I do not know a lot about the radical anti-racism/sexism 'illiberal liberals.' I am more focused on class and economic issues.
It's mainly a movement of screeching, high pitched kids who play on being as offended as possible, and try to one up each other at being most adhering to their particular conception of "progressive" as possible. It's hard to identify in a way, but it's definitely a movement, because so many of these people look and sound the same. They wear certain styles, and they use very similar, very particular language, and they always argue and behave in a very similar way. Just look up "SJW compilation" or something of the sort on YouTube, or check out www.reddit.com/r/tumblrinaction and you will see exactly what I mean. They're not just leftists or whatever.

Sounds like you lot and SJWs have quite a lot in common. I'm starting to struggle to tell you apart.
I really find it quite difficult to predict. Will be interested to hear peoples responses.

Authoritarianism will be with humanity for a long time, it seems as fundamental a feature for many people's sensibilities as generosity and altruism to many others.
It doesn't matter what form it takes, just that it is.

Whether it's called SJW in the future, or neo-fascism/communism, or 'mega-corporation' or whatever.
Some organization and ideology will seek to impose it's world view on everyone, curtailing liberal freedoms for what we can at least hope it's adherents assume are good intentions.
The ones who pay no service to doing good are even scarier.
But it all ends up the same....trampling on an out-group and curtailing liberty, becoming the enemy of peace and prosperity it may have originally been invented to solve.

There's in fact parallels between "SJWs", the "Regressive Left" today and the Nazi party of yesterday.
Both targeted perceived weaknesses in democracy and liberty, claiming a strong leading hand by some "enlightened" oligarchs could solve all the world's ills.
12 years later Germany and much of Europe was in ruins.
The USSR's record also speaks for itself.
China for all it's apparent prosperity thinks nothing of harvesting prisoner organs, regardless of crime, and there's many reasons you can be locked away, and that's assuming you even get an open show-trial.

"Social Justice" will ultimately disappear as a movement, but the psychology and behaviour underlying it will always be waiting for us to lower our guard.

[video]https://youtu.be/Jph2qWXJ-Tk?t=8m28s[/video]
In the long term it will undoubtedly die.

Look at the average SJW, they tend not to have very many children, they're essentially the clergy-class of the modern world, asexual, moralising, lacking vigour and take on a role of teaching. On the other hand Westerners who tend towards more right-wing/libertarian values tend to have much more of a drive for a family life, also the very people SJW's are enablers of, also tend to have huge families and crucially totally reject the values of the average progressive leftist.

Original post by New_Frontiers
x

John Oliver is a prime example, he lacks any normal level of masculinity no woman could ever look at him and feel love, maybe a sort sad pity, but not real desire. He looks smug, passive aggressive, has flat greasy hair, I think Trump says some very foolish things, but how can this pitiable cockroach mock a man who has the personality of a lion, a huge family, a better job, gets the girls and who says whatever he wants.

At least Jon Stewart was dashing and had that geeky charming personality.
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends on how you would define and "SJW movement", but I know this for certain: people with opposing views to yours will always be around.
Reply 25
Original post by dingleberry jam
Sounds like you lot and SJWs have quite a lot in common. I'm starting to struggle to tell you apart.

That was actually a very typical SJW response. Pretending to be meaningful and clever, actually completely inconsequential and saying essentially nothing.
Reply 26
Original post by WBZ144
Depends on how you would define and "SJW movement", but I know this for certain: people with opposing views to yours will always be around.

Look up SJWs on youtube. You'll find out what I mean by them, and it isn't just people with different opinions.
Reply 27
Original post by Carbon2197
I think a lot of people view this sort of talk as "anti-equality" or "anti-whatever I think is right"; however personally I just see it as anti-whinging. Sadly, SJWs have turned away from fighting for seriously important issues and instead whine about stupid things that ultimately don't really matter, like whether or not air conditioning is sexist and then saying things like "male opinions on rape don't matter", or "white people's opinions on racism are invalid". It just comes across as moaning for the sake of moaning. My favourite example is when a group of "feminists" at a Swedish university tried to get urinals banned because they claim that men "triumph in their masculinity" when they pee standing up. Like c'mon, people are dying all over the world; there's still FGM and human sex trafficking going on and forced marriages and child prostitution and really the world should be focusing on serious issues such as these rather than having to deal with the whinging of people who feel mildly offended by trivial things. They are casting a huge smokescreen over real equality campaigners who are now stuck with the stigma attached to the social justice movement.

This is mostly very true, but I think it's easy to tell an SJW as soon as their mouth opens; it's the quick speech, the torrent of buzzwords, the gloating manner, the utter lack of interest in logic and reason, and the full embracement of the "feels before reals" mentality, its the blatant cowardlyness. People actually going out to places like Pakistan to try and improve a situation where women are killed on a daily basis for stepping out line are not going to be anything like these people.
It's mainly a movement of screeching, high pitched kids who play on being as offended as possible, and try to one up each other at being most adhering to their particular conception of "progressive" as possible. It's hard to identify in a way, but it's definitely a movement, because so many of these people look and sound the same. They wear certain styles, and they use very similar, very particular language, and they always argue and behave in a very similar way. Just look up "SJW compilation" or something of the sort on YouTube, or check out www.reddit.com/r/tumblrinaction and you will see exactly what I mean. They're not just leftists or whatever.

What's the difference between a SJW and a leftist then?
There are SJW on the right too, particularly those who seem to claim that so much as questioning anything Israel does constitutes anti semitism.
It's quite interesting how two users I would consider SJW's have already resorted to weaselly passive-aggressive dialectics on this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
That was actually a very typical SJW response. Pretending to be meaningful and clever, actually completely inconsequential and saying essentially nothing.

it's very predictable
Look up SJWs on youtube. You'll find out what I mean by them, and it isn't just people with different opinions.

Yeah, YouTube. The best place to go for an unbiased opinion.
Reply 32
Original post by WBZ144
Yeah, YouTube. The best place to go for an unbiased opinion.

It's a good place to go for video footage of the people I am talking about. I'm not asking you to look at the comments.
Original post by Bornblue
What's the difference between a SJW and a leftist then?
There are SJW on the right too, particularly those who seem to claim that so much as questioning anything Israel does constitutes anti semitism.

Yup, interesting how various people who normally claim to be so against "political correctness", (e.g. Paul 'Guido Fawkes' Staines, who broke the Shah story) were suddenly up in arms about Shah and Livingstone.

It was an observation, no attempt at anything meaningful or clever.

a movement of screeching

Check, no one on here whines and whinges quite as much as you guys.

play on being as offended as possible

Check, you guys are very easily triggered and love your tirades with plenty of derogatory labels thrown in to shut em up.

they use very similar, very particular language,

Check.

they always argue and behave in a very similar way

Check.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's really not catching on in my country. The youth here still remain relatively traditional in their opinions, even if there are attempts by the militant few to change the opinion.

I personally do not think the SJW movement will get as bad as the U.S.
Original post by dingleberry jam
It was an observation, no attempt at anything meaningful or clever.

Check, no one on here whines and whinges quite as much as you guys.

Check, you guys are very easily triggered and love your tirades with plenty of derogatory labels thrown in to shut em up.

Check.

Check.

Exactly, the alt-right are totalitarian, dogmatic, labile, victim complex, conspiracy theorists etc no different from the SJWs. Offend them or question them at your peril: they have infinite time and energy to respond and no intention of engaging meaningfully with your argument. It is a quality of youth.

To answer the question, the SJWs will always be with us, as they have been since the 1980s when you were no longer allowed to talk about class and economic equality on the left. But they are not in the majority nor the ascendancy now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Will it take over? It depends on the grown ups.

SJW's are just rebellious children and children (or some of them) always rebel.

They don't matter, what does matter is whether the adults listen to them or tell them to shut the f&ck up.
Hopefully not
(edited 7 years ago)
The other point is that the whole left wing identity politics agenda from which SJW's spring, intellectually, is really taking a battering.

The rise of militant Islam is destroying it. When it is more important to point out "Islamophobia" and "Racism" than to confront the ideology of a murderous, totalitarian theocracy, a political movement has fallen into intellectual bankruptcy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending