The Student Room Group

Future in IB

Hey guys,

So I've completed my A Levels with AAB (albeit average for IB). However, due to complications I could not go to Nottingham and instead settled for University of East Anglia. My CV is pretty good and I have ample work experience working at different jobs, competitive sports etc.

As you'd imagine I'm extremely worried about not being able to secure a SW because of the name of the university.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
apply anyway, chances are slim.. but what do ye have to lose.

there's many more careers out there.
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
apply anyway, chances are slim.. but what do ye have to lose.

there's many more careers out there.

What's made it slim, the university or the grades? If it's the university, is transferring a move I should consider?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nemanuel96
What's made it slim, the university or the grades? If it's the university, is transferring a move I should consider?

Posted from TSR Mobile

uni name would make it harder, you pass the UCAS threshold to make application for ib firms.

idk anyone from uea in fo role at the firm i'm with
(edited 7 years ago)
Go to UEA if you like, but if your heart was set on a target or semi-target, take a gap year and reapply. Short of that, an MSc might help if your applications aren't successful. You have a few options to think about.

It's possible. Your A-levels are fine. You just need to be an exceptional UEA candidate.
Reply 5
Original post by Exceptional
Go to UEA if you like, but if your heart was set on a target or semi-target, take a gap year and reapply. Short of that, an MSc might help if your applications aren't successful. You have a few options to think about.

It's possible. Your A-levels are fine. You just need to be an exceptional UEA candidate.

I've already taken a gap year. I'm considering transferring after the first year to Manchester or Southampton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've already taken a gap year. I'm considering transferring after the first year to Manchester or Southampton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why Manchester/Soton?
Reply 7
Original post by Exceptional
Why Manchester/Soton?

Surely they require to have achieved the prerequisite A Level grades? Manchester and Southampton seem to be two that fit, they also have a decent track record of having people successfully go on to SW.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely they require to have achieved the prerequisite A Level grades? Manchester and Southampton seem to be two that fit, they also have a decent track record of having people successfully go on to SW.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not always, some give you conditional offers based on your first year performance.
Why so greedy? You'll get a good job if you have the skills, it doesn't need to be in investment banking.
Original post by candymonster
Why so greedy? You'll get a good job if you have the skills, it doesn't need to be in investment banking.

What does anything OP is saying have to do with greed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing to do with greed. Was just hard done by a university which made me go for a uni I didn't really consider going to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing to do with greed. Was just hard done by a university which made me go for a uni I didn't really consider going to.

Tbf the university isn't terrible and is flying up the rankings. It's just unfortunate that universities are are seen in such a primitive way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbf the university isn't terrible and is flying up the rankings. It's just unfortunate that universities are are seen in such a primitive way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't listen to the rubbish posted here about university prestige. It's a good enough university. There are dozens of jobs you could do after you get your degree and depending on your skills and experience, your earnings in the future might be more than those silly target, semi target university graduates . Don't waste a year of your life because of something as silly as prestige as viewed on an Internet forum.
Don't listen to the rubbish posted here about university prestige. It's a good enough university. There are dozens of jobs you could do after you get your degree and depending on your skills and experience, your earnings in the future might be more than those silly target, semi target university graduates . Don't waste a year of your life because of something as silly as prestige as viewed on an Internet forum.

It's more than just an internet forum, this is unfortunately the reality of the industry. Of course, if OP is a solid applicant, then it really doesn't mean much. They'll make it regardless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is such a headache. I'll do what I can in the first year and try to transfer. I think that's perhaps my best bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is such a headache. I'll do what I can in the first year and try to transfer. I think that's perhaps my best bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you land and convert any spring weeks, there would be no point in transferring btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending