The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by munchkin1212
I am finding Cambridge quite intimidating and I don't know if I would enjoy it. My other concern is that I am currently doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics. I want to drop physics but if I was to apply to Cambridge (via NatSci) I would be disadvantaged without it, I don't know if they would consider me as favourably.

It is true that the Cambridge "lifestyle" isn't right for everyone. However, sometimes it can be worth applying just for the experience. If you do get invited to an interview, you might find that you like the atmosphere that Cambridge provides. Have you been to visit during an open day?

In addition, dropping Physics shouldn't be a problem if you decide to pursue ChemEng via NatSci. The main downside is that your 1st year options would potentially be limited if you do continue with Physics. Continuing with just Maths, FM and Chemistry is perfectly fine and you'll have a decent chance as long as you can meet the A*A*A requirements.
Original post by NeverLucky
It is true that the Cambridge "lifestyle" isn't right for everyone. However, sometimes it can be worth applying just for the experience. If you do get invited to an interview, you might find that you like the atmosphere that Cambridge provides. Have you been to visit during an open day?

In addition, dropping Physics shouldn't be a problem if you decide to pursue ChemEng via NatSci. The main downside is that your 1st year options would potentially be limited if you do continue with Physics. Continuing with just Maths, FM and Chemistry is perfectly fine and you'll have a decent chance as long as you can meet the A*A*A requirements.

Thanks for your advice. I went for a STEM one night residential in June, and I am going to another STEM residential next week. That should help me making a decision on whether I will apply.
Original post by NeverLucky
Very well done!! Got my A2 grades, not too bad - got 3A*s in Maths, FM and Chemistry but I was 1 UMS off an A* in Physics so I'm getting all the A2 exams remarked. Laughing cos I got a C in the EPQ 😂 hopefully it won't disadvantage me too much hahaha!

dam well done bro! I got my AS's back, got AAA in maths bio chem :biggrin:
Getting AAAA means I'm not restricted in applying to anywhere- which makes the choices harder haha, although I'm not complaining.

I know I definitely want to give cambridge a shot, but I'm not sure after that. Bath has a good reputation, but they didn't offer much in terms of showing me their graduate links and prospects. Also they don't do an integrated year in industry.

Manchester and Newcastle both do integrated year in industry but obviously don't have as good reputation as Cambridge etc.

Imperial/UCL just seem a bit scary. Imperial has harder entry requirements than Cambridge (and is a cockfest) and the course is brutal. UCL, I've heard bad things about it on TSR in terms of the teaching quality and academic support.
Original post by richpanda
Hmmm I've heard bad things on TSR about UCL's chemical engineering department.

Me too, I'm not sure what the fuss is though...
Original post by timster32
Me too, I'm not sure what the fuss is though...

there was a thread about it, but I can't seem to find it...
I do chemical engineering st the university of sheffeild.

This thread said an interview wasn't required, and none of my friends on the course had an interview, but I did... Bit weird!
I phoned them up on results day as I hadn't got the grades required, and instead of kicking me off the course they had just moved me onto the straight 4 year course. I asked if I would be able to move back on to the year in industry course, and they said yes if I got a 2:1 at the end of first year.
They said the reason they were keeping me was because I did really well in interview.... An interview which apparently no one else had! XD
Original post by Lissy14

This thread said an interview wasn't required, and none of my friends on the course had an interview, but I did... Bit weird!
I phoned them up on results day as I hadn't got the grades required, and instead of kicking me off the course they had just moved me onto the straight 4 year course. I asked if I would be able to move back on to the year in industry course, and they said yes if I got a 2:1 at the end of first year.
They said the reason they were keeping me was because I did really well in interview.... An interview which apparently no one else had! XD

What were your predicted grades and what were the entry requirements for the course??
What were your predicted grades and what were the entry requirements for the course??

Predictions: A*AA
Entry requirements: AAA
Actual grades: ABB
Original post by Lissy14
Predictions: A*AA
Entry requirements: AAA
Actual grades: ABB

Hmmm, maybe your personal statement or school reference made them have reservations, I'm not sure to be honest why they made you have an interview and no one else?!?
Hmmm, maybe your personal statement or school reference made them have reservations, I'm not sure to be honest why they made you have an interview and no one else?!?

I don't think it would have been my school reference... I mean I was deputy head girl and ran the primary school science program, the teacher writing my reference liked me and when I read what he wrote it looked pretty good...

My personal statement was pretty decent to. I had quite a lot in it, like my work placement at a company who employees a lot of Chem Eng grad students, my month volunteering in Peru, my volunteer work with the local council and the national trust, bronze silver and gold d of e, my Ogden physics award and a load of other stuff I have done.

I'm not sure why any of that would give them reservations.
Original post by Lissy14

Yeah I asked if they had an interview but they said no. Although they said they have an assessment so in case people don't meet their requirements if they do well in the interview they'll let on. Congratz on sheffield how do you find it so far??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a pre-interview assessment for imperial? Maybe STEP?
Original post by FusionNetworks
Is there a pre-interview assessment for imperial? Maybe STEP?

Nope, at least not yet. Their offer is often harder than Cambridge's though.
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Yeah I asked if they had an interview but they said no. Although they said they have an assessment so in case people don't meet their requirements if they do well in the interview they'll let on. Congratz on sheffield how do you find it so far??

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really good thanks! Very interesting and quite varied xx
Hi guys

I got A* in alevel maths
A in physics AS
B in chemistry AS

Im in yr12 btw
Should i apply to imperial and cambridge
Coz i got a B in chem which is puttin me off

Do i hav chance of gettin into chem eng im not sure if for an AS my grade r good enougj
If u get wat i mean.

Ill be doin further maths next yr

Fyi cambridge ignores maths alevels done early
Original post by richpanda
Getting AAAA means I'm not restricted in applying to anywhere- which makes the choices harder haha, although I'm not complaining.

I know I definitely want to give cambridge a shot, but I'm not sure after that. Bath has a good reputation, but they didn't offer much in terms of showing me their graduate links and prospects. Also they don't do an integrated year in industry.

Manchester and Newcastle both do integrated year in industry but obviously don't have as good reputation as Cambridge etc.

Imperial/UCL just seem a bit scary. Imperial has harder entry requirements than Cambridge (and is a cockfest) and the course is brutal. UCL, I've heard bad things about it on TSR in terms of the teaching quality and academic support.

I swear Bath do an industry placement year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
I swear Bath do an industry placement year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but that's over 5 years for the MEng course. At manchester and newcastle you can do a MEng with a year in industry over 4 years, as you do distance learning during the year away.
H guys I got 1A*6A2B at GCSE
then I got AAAB in my AS in maths chemistry physics and further maths respectively.
if I achieve 3A* in A2 maths physics and chemistry and retake AS Further maths to get an A, do you think I could be able to apply to Cambridge through UCAS adjustment or am I kidding myself?
Original post by Chemgawd99
H guys I got 1A*6A2B at GCSE
then I got AAAB in my AS in maths chemistry physics and further maths respectively.
if I achieve 3A* in A2 maths physics and chemistry and retake AS Further maths to get an A, do you think I could be able to apply to Cambridge through UCAS adjustment or am I kidding myself?

Your AS's are pretty strong. There's no harm in applying to Cambridge if you think you can write a strong personal statement and perform well in the entrance exam. You've got nothing to lose 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending