The Student Room Group

You've probably not failed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The story is fake lol.. I have seen the same screenshot on twitter. You guys are stupid.
Original post by Gman786
The story is fake lol.. I have seen the same screenshot on twitter. You guys are stupid.

Yeah, well, even if it is, I appreciate the fact it was posted because I needed the inspiration anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gman786

Fake or not, the OP's story would be one in a million. Other people in similar situations probably have failed.
Original post by Gman786

Screenshot_2016-08-19-03-52-19.png

There you go have my first and middle names, free of charge! My last name is Proud if you must know.

Original post by EastGuava
Fake or not, the OP's story would be one in a million. Other people in similar situations probably have failed.

I had failed, once upon a time, but that doesn't mean you can't turn your life around.

A few things to keep in mind, that people seem to be forgetting; Cambridge, as well as any decent university, look at students on a case by case basis. Yes, they say on their website that most students have really good GCSE's, which is true, that doesn't mean entry otherwise is impossible.
They are simply too smart to throw away a potentially really good student over past mistakes.
I have a pretty impressive personal statement and did well at my Hughes Hall interview.

Couple of other things:
I originally applied for Magdalene but got winter pooled into Hughes Hall.
Yes, there was an enteren exam, for Magdalene, atleast, and it had a sense of humor.

I'm thinking of just making a short YouTube video instead, to do away with some of the nonsense going on in this thread, and focus more on its message. Thoughts?
Original post by WhisperingTide

There you go have my first and middle names, free of charge! My last name is Proud if you must know.

I had failed, once upon a time, but that doesn't mean you can't turn your life around.

A few things to keep in mind, that people seem to be forgetting; Cambridge, as well as any decent university, look at students on a case by case basis. Yes, they say on their website that most students have really good GCSE's, which is true, that doesn't mean entry otherwise is impossible.
They are simply too smart to throw away a potentially really good student over past mistakes.
I have a pretty impressive personal statement and did well at my Hughes Hall interview.

Couple of other things:
Yes, there was an enteren exam, for Magdalene, atleast, and it had a sense of humor.

I'm thinking of just making a short YouTube video instead, to do away with some of the nonsense going on in this thread, and focus more on its message. Thoughts?

If you want but really, there's no point listening to naysayers. There are always some on here who have to nitpick or be douchewads all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couple of other things:

I think you should! I, for one, would definitely give it a watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couple of other things:

I'm still not convinced. Can you post your personal statement online for us to read?

Also i don't see how a Cambridge exam can have a sense of humour. Unless of course cambridge have really slipped so far?
Original post by john2054
I'm still not convinced. Can you post your personal statement online for us to read?

Also i don't see how a Cambridge exam can have a sense of humour. Unless of course cambridge have really slipped so far?

Get a grip lol
Original post by Shumaya
Get a grip lol

It's called verification. It's a basic university skill. Which you will presumably learn when you get there, thanks.

Checking the authenticity of your sources.
It's called verification. It's a basic university skill. Which you will presumably learn when you get there, thanks.

Checking the authenticity of your sources.

Dude just leave it now, seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm too tried to respond meaningfully to the first ask right now, PM me if you want me to send you that, I'm not derailing this thread further. As for the exam having a sense of humour, well, I assume that the exam was both designed to test you, but also to relax you, since everybody was so stressed.

One of the questions was something like: "Considering a cloud-Earth system as a capacitor, and assuming air behaves as if it was not a dielectric, would a lightning strike have enough energy to accelerate a DeLorean past 88 miles per hour?"

The last question was worth 100 marks. "Prove Fermat's Last Theorem".The paper was out of 30 marks (I think ) total. It's not them having 'slipped', it's them keeping in touch with reality. Being able to both assess the students while putting a smile on their faces during such an intense time is a massive feat. Not everything has to be pretentious and stuck up.
One of the things that shocked me most was that the stereotypes were mostly wrong. Almost everybody I met was a level headed, down to earth, human, and most of them knew how to smile and joke.
okay i have replied, i will let you know what i think when i see it
I'm too tried to respond meaningfully to the first ask right now, PM me if you want me to send you that, I'm not derailing this thread further. As for the exam having a sense of humour, well, I assume that the exam was both designed to test you, but also to relax you, since everybody was so stressed.

One of the questions was something like: "Considering a cloud-Earth system as a capacitor, and assuming air behaves as if it was not a dielectric, would a lightning strike have enough energy to accelerate a DeLorean past 88 miles per hour?"

The last question was worth 100 marks. "Prove Fermat's Last Theorem".The paper was out of 30 marks (I think ) total. It's not them having 'slipped', it's them keeping in touch with reality. Being able to both assess the students while putting a smile on their faces during such an intense time is a massive feat. Not everything has to be pretentious and stuck up.
One of the things that shocked me most was that the stereotypes were mostly wrong. Almost everybody I met was a level headed, down to earth, human, and most of them knew how to smile and joke.

Okay he just sent me a copy of his personal statement and it is authentic. Sorry for doubting you.
Reply 74
Original post by Zacken

Prsom
EastGuava

^ This.

Quick Reply