The Student Room Group

Asylum seekers to be offered scholarships at the University of Bristol

Scroll to see replies

KCL also introduced a similar scheme recently. Hope more universities do the same
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Good. They wouldn't be able to afford university otherwise as they aren't eligible for student finance

No, refugees are eligible to Student Finance.
They wouldn't be able to attend university otherwise as they can't get student loans. Sorry if the idea of £30 getting taken out of wages a month once you earn 21k+ is too upsetting for you to deal with. And most of the refugees benefitting from this scholarship won't be the recent ones from the migrant crisis. The UK has existing refugees, and have taken in very little from the Syrian crisis.
Honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea. It's the university's decision.
Original post by AntiTyrannyMan
REFUGEES and asylum seekers could get a free place at one of Britain’s top universities alongside a new wave of British students struggling to cope with the burden of huge student debts.

Russell Group member Bristol University has offered scholarships and softened the application process for refugees and asylum seekers as part of a scheme to integrate those escaping conflict into education.

Professor Hugh Brady, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bristol, said: "We know there are factors that make it difficult for people from refugee and asylum-seeking communities to apply to university.

“Their previous studies may have been interrupted, they might not have evidence of their previous qualifications or their qualifications are not transferable.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/702324/migrants-refugees-asylum-seekers-bristol-university-free-scholarship-education-tuition-fee

Still baffles me people are so thick they actually think they are not economic migrants coming for the free education, house, money, healthcare and first world life
Original post by Josb
No, refugees are eligible to Student Finance.

Not always, and asylum seekers(who the scholarships are also awarded to) definitely aren't.
Happy for them to get student finance with reduced residency time requirements, maybe even aptitude tests in place of formal qualifications in light of their situation.

But free when we have to pay? Hell no.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
not to mention that they'd be charge international fees.

Refugees have the 'home' status.
Reply 49
Any of you whiners actually read the article?

Where does it say that they don't have to pay a penny for the education, that they don't need to take out student loan?
That wouldn't be fair. What about people who already live there who can't afford a higher education? They should be a priority not immigrants and refugees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most misleading title ever, but I expect nothing less from the almost-daily-mail-style-trash-type newspaper, the express.

How dare Bristol offer scholarships and make their own choices about what to do at their own university, how liberal do they think we are?!
Original post by inhuman
Any of you whiners actually read the article?

Where does it say that they don't have to pay a penny for the education, that they don't need to take out student loan?

I didn't want to contribute to the Express in any way by clicking the link. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Not always, and asylum seekers(who the scholarships are also awarded to) definitely aren't.

Hopefully, otherwise what would happen if their application for asylum was rejected but still got a student finance loan?
Reply 54
Original post by Inexorably
How dare Bristol offer scholarships and make their own choices about what to do at their own university, how liberal do they think we are?!

I think taxpayers and fee-paying students have the right to know what the university is doing with their money.
Reply 55
Original post by JamesN88
I didn't want to contribute to the Express in any way by clicking the link. :smile:

Well I find that wrong. You can't dismiss articles just because they appear in outlet X. You can read, or at least skim read it, and quickly realize that yes it is just another piece of headline grabbing bs :smile:

All I can see is that they make it easier to get in, which includes scholarships and less stringent academic entry requirements (which makes sense, as a refugee maybe you don't even have something equivalent to A Levels). Nowhere does it say they don't have to take out student loan. Why? Because they probably do but that would ruin the point of the dishonest article.
Original post by inhuman
Well I find that wrong. You can't dismiss articles just because they appear in outlet X. You can read, or at least skim read it, and quickly realize that yes it is just another piece of headline grabbing bs :smile:

All I can see is that they make it easier to get in, which includes scholarships and less stringent academic entry requirements (which makes sense, as a refugee maybe you don't even have something equivalent to A Levels). Nowhere does it say they don't have to take out student loan. Why? Because they probably do but that would ruin the point of the dishonest article.

They can get full or partial support without student loans if they aren't eligible. Realistically though if someone claims asylum and then studies here in all likelihood they'll stay so it would make sense for student finance to ease the requirements for them.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/fees-funding/awards/sanctuary-scholarship/what/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1010marina
Yes - and instead of charity money going to refugees for education, give the student finance to refugees if they want it, but make them pay it back.

Give the charity money to savings lives on the battlefield, to homeless refugees, or better yet to Britons living in poverty, etc.

Bristol Uni can't force Student Finance to fund refugees, as they are not (like I said) a government institution. Since they are not willing to do this in most cases, the university is offering the refugees an alternative.

If you are eligible for Student Finance and don't have to worry about funding your education, it's easy to criticise this scholarship.
All of these scholarships (and they are very common, maybe half the universities in the UK have them) have presumably been introduced because of the change to the law which for many years gave unaccompanied minor asylum seekers totally free university educations...

This is from the Sunday Times, 6 December 2015. If you want to read the full article you will have to become a subscriber.

THE government is to change the law to stop asylum seekers who come to Britain as unaccompanied children having their entire university education paid for by the taxpayer.At present asylum seekers who arrive on their own before the age of 18 have their tuition fees paid as well as living costs, even if they do not have leave to remain in Britain. The fees can be as high as £30,000 a year because migrants usually pay overseas student rates.Council leaders say it is unfair that foreign teenagers take degrees at council taxpayers’ expense when British classmates have to take out loans or apply for public support.Unlike British children in local authority care, unaccompanied asylum seekers who are taken into care have an automatic right to have tuition fees paid even if they come from wealthy families.David Simmonds, deputy chairman of the Local Government Association, said: “You
Subscribe nowLogin
Already a subscriber?Visit the USAHere’s how you let the good times rollLouisiana is the proud birthplace of jazz, but it’s not resting on its laurels

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

NEXT

NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ROLENonExecutiveDirectors.com, Nationwide, Competitive

Ever thought of working in FranceSpain or Portugal?, Blevins Franks, Nationwide, Competitive

Laurence SimonsVarious roles and locations

TrusteesPancreatic Cancer UK, London (Central), London (Greater), See job description

Contact UsTerms of useSite MapAbout usOther sites
© Times Newspapers Ltd 2015
Registered office 1 London Bridge Street, SE1 9GF.
Registered in England No 894646
By continuing to use this site, you
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know what ranking tables you've been looking at, probably the same one that says Keele is number 4 in the uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending