The Student Room Group

AS level results- below grade. Can someone help???

Got my AS results back and am pretty upset. My history grade was a C, however in class I've never gotten below an A! I'm also upset as I really wanted to study history at uni and now have lost hope, as I got A's in my other subjects. The exam board was OCR; has anyone else had a similar problem, or could give me advice? Really disheartenened :frown:
I would apply for a remark if you don't believe you should have gotten this grade. If the remark still ends up low then I would advise re-sitting, after all the stress could have caused this :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by xSailorMoonQueen
I would apply for a remark if you don't believe you should have gotten this grade. If the remark still ends up low then I would advise re-sitting, after all the stress could have caused this :smile:

Thanks! Do you know if I can just resit the exam alone, or would I have to resit the whole year again?
Just the exam should be enough. :smile: unless you're willing to pay for a full year!
From this source http://www.cife.org.uk/article/faqs-about-a-level-retakes/ it says you should be okay with retaking only those units that need improvement, but I'm not 100% sure so you might have to do a bit more research on this :smile:
Reply 5
How far are you off the next highest grade? In the past for non-sciences marks would change quite a lot when remarks are done, especially for essay based subjects. However, with the recent changes I believe that a grade can only change if it's obvious that the first marker didn't follow the marking scheme...
I'm in a similar position! I came out with a high B and I've never gotten below an A grade (or equivalent) in my life for History. I want to read it at university as well, and all of the universities I'm interested in want A*AA. I've applied for paper 2 to be remarked (got 60/60 for paper one), and I think that might be the best thing for you to do. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
Original post by H1212
Thanks! Do you know if I can just resit the exam alone, or would I have to resit the whole year again?

History is a reformed A level. Your AS result does not count towards your final A level grade. You don't need to retake anything, just do better next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry most people flop AS in some way. I know someone in my school who got a D in English Lit AS, this year he got an A* overall. :smile:
I personally managed to improve my ABBB at AS to AAA at A2.
So don't beat yourself up if you get low grades at AS:wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I also got a C at AS in history, but managed at A2 to get a B & now on my way to essex. Its no big deal, just put the extra effort in at A2
Reply 10
Thanks everyone. I'm just worried about uni since I was hoping to read history; would I still get an offer if I only have a C grade in the subject at AS level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I got a few offers from unis to do history with a C, although my predicted grade was B.
Reply 12
Original post by Jasismoran
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I got a few offers from unis to do history with a C, although my predicted grade was B.

Ah that's great, thank you. My predicted grade was also a B, so this made me feel better, thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem :smile: good luck with A2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending