The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by surplus98
My friends dilemma: Got an offer from Warwick but Manchester called him and said they'd like to offer him a place too (originally he wasn't in Warwick). This is for English literature.

He's visited both and liked them both.

Is Warwick the obvious choice?

I think the obvious reply is 'meh', being perfectly honest.
'my friend'
Reply 3
Original post by Abstract_Prism
'my friend'

Yes 'my friend', I am doing law.

Why would I be embarrassed to say it was me? 😂
I'd say go for Warwick, but it isn't because the university is better than Manchester. The students that go to Warwick on the whole are brighter, and the campus is fairly nice.
Yeah Warwick is more prestigious and imagine the calibre of students are smarter (generally)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Yeah Warwick is more prestigious and imagine the calibre of students are smarter (generally)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I highly doubt that Warwick is more prestigious than Manchester. Manchester is frequently ranked in the UK top 8 for World and REF rankings, which is a sign of serious academic standards. Warwick ranks higher in the UK rankings because that is all they can fight for with the limited resources they have. Manchester is an £800 million+ a year financial monster.
Original post by surplus98
My friends dilemma: Got an offer from Warwick but Manchester called him and said they'd like to offer him a place too (originally he wasn't in Warwick). This is for English literature.

He's visited both and liked them both.

Is Warwick the obvious choice?

TSR hates Warwick?
Why does everyone hate warwick on here i dont understand!??
Reply 9
Original post by Nonamebzja
Why does everyone hate warwick on here i dont understand!??

Because the majority of people are not capable of getting in, instead they blame the 'location'
The only reason people on TSR hate Warwick is because they're still bitter they've been ejected from Oxbridge or they got rejected by Warwick itself.
OP go to the Uni you think you will be happiest in and do best in, ignore the opinions of people on here about Warwick being rubbish or whatever it is they say about it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexp98
Because the majority of people are not capable of getting in, instead they blame the 'location'

Lol
Original post by Magic Streets
I highly doubt that Warwick is more prestigious than Manchester. Manchester is frequently ranked in the UK top 8 for World and REF rankings, which is a sign of serious academic standards. Warwick ranks higher in the UK rankings because that is all they can fight for with the limited resources they have. Manchester is an £800 million+ a year financial monster.

Look at the grade requirements for the students going to Warwick... Those going to Warwick have higher grades on average therefore the students are in general of higher calibre.

I personally didn't like Warwick when I went as to me it felt like a big sixth form campus and very isolated. Manchester has more going on but parts of the city are really run down. I'm personally very focused on the kudos/wow/prestige factor, so if I was given the choice I would choose Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pinkberry_y
The only reason people on TSR hate Warwick is because they're still bitter they've been ejected from Oxbridge or they got rejected by Warwick itself.
OP go to the Uni you think you will be happiest in and do best in, ignore the opinions of people on here about Warwick being rubbish or whatever it is they say about it

Well if you get rejected by Oxbridge, then Warwick is hardly going to relieve the disappointment is it? The same applies to Durham and many other so called top tier universities (i.e. they are nothing special in reality). If you want to quench the bitter hurt of losing out on Oxbridge, only Imperial, LSE, UCL, KCL and Edinburgh could do that. I know Warwick is strong for Maths and Economics, but on the whole it isn't anything special.
Look at the grade requirements for the students going to Warwick... Those going to Warwick have higher grades on average therefore the students are in general of higher calibre.

I personally didn't like Warwick when I went as to me it felt like a big sixth form campus and very isolated. Manchester has more going on but parts of the city are really run down. I'm personally very focused on the kudos/wow/prestige factor, so if I was given the choice I would choose Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think either Warwick or Manchester have a wow factor, they are too similar in standard to most universities in the Russell Group. UCL, Kings and Edinburgh are better for that.
I don't think either Warwick or Manchester have a wow factor, they are too similar in standard to most universities in the Russell Group. UCL, Kings and Edinburgh are better for that.

UCL and Kings aren't more WOW at all, similarly to Edinburgh... I'd say they're all on par with Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL and Kings aren't more WOW at all, similarly to Edinburgh... I'd say they're all on par with Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd get just as good an education at these places as most universities in the Russell Group, that is true. But UCL, Kings and Edinburgh overall are bigger, older, wealthier and globally better known than Warwick.

Edit: As a UCL alumni, I would certainly rate UCL as being a university with a wow factor, simply because most people rate it as the best multi-faculty university after Oxbridge. I know the university well.
(edited 7 years ago)
You'd get just as good an education at these places as most universities in the Russell Group, that is true. But UCL, Kings and Edinburgh overall are bigger, older, wealthier and globally better known than Warwick.

Edit: As a UCL almuni, I would certainly rate UCL as being a university with a wow factor, simply because most people rate it as the best multi-faculty university after Oxbridge. I know the university well.

It's not the best university after Oxbridge... Top 10 yes but there are the likes of imperial, LSE etc that are above UCL... But we're talking semantics, UCL is a very good university

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not the best university after Oxbridge... Top 10 yes but there are the likes of imperial, LSE etc that are above UCL... But we're talking semantics, UCL is a very good university

Posted from TSR Mobile

Top 10? More like top 5 in the UK, and top 10-20 in the World. Have you ever visited UCL? You may see why it is so highly regarded after doing so. It is part of the fabric of Central London.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
'my friend'

I'm not sure why someone would be embarrassed to be in this situation?

Latest