The Student Room Group

Retake AS year??

I'm a straight A student and used to seeing A's and B's across my reports. AS Level results went C D D E... I know I passed, but should I retake to get better?? Will these affect my uni placements ?? Or offers in future

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lahmejacks
I'm a straight A student and used to seeing A's and B's across my reports. AS Level results went C D D E... I know I passed, but should I retake to get better?? Will these affect my uni placements ?? Or offers in future

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not familiar with the new A levels system, could you tell me if you will be able to retake those exams next year?
Original post by Raizelcadres
I'm not familiar with the new A levels system, could you tell me if you will be able to retake those exams next year?

we have to resit all of as and a2 again next year
Original post by jayeshforce1

Hmm its up to you, if you retake your exams along with your A2 exams than it will be quite stressful but doesn't mean it can't be done. However if you retake one year and do the exams it will be less stressful but you will have a slightly lower chance of getting into uni (this depends entirely on the course you want to apply to e.g medicine courses will be really tough to get into in any uni). The unis I know that are against resitting is oxford, imperial and kings college (I think). All the best
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I resat a year and all unis ive looked at (inc. Russel groups) have said it makes no difference to your application at all, it just makes you look like a committed and diligent student. As the AS grades only count toward offers for most things now its up to you to drop or not. Its not the easiest thing dropping a year but its worth it if you know that you can do better, especially if you want to change subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello this is so weird for me because I'm exactly in your shoes. What subjects do you firstly ? I did Chemistry Biology Maths and Politics. My C was a 69 and my D was a 59 so I'm getting my papers back to check if they should be remarked. Sadly Maths and Politics are modular so I plan on doing them again next year but Chemistry is linear so this mark doesn't give me my A-level grade. What is the case for you ? I recommend you start revision now and contact your teachers so that your teachers can take you seriously enough when it comes to predicted grades and you can smash your mocks in January but if you were a good student before and you had a great relationship with your teachers, you have more of a chance. If you want you can keep in contact with me ! Trust me I know exactly how you feel and I know it sounds weird but remember the only way is forward and up ! :smile:
Hmm its up to you, if you retake your exams along with your A2 exams than it will be quite stressful but doesn't mean it can't be done. However if you retake one year and do the exams it will be less stressful but you will have a slightly lower chance of getting into uni (this depends entirely on the course you want to apply to e.g medicine courses will be really tough to get into in any uni). The unis I know that are against resitting is oxford, imperial and kings college (I think). All the best

No they will be separate exams except everything from A2 and AS will be tested again. if that makes any sense. So for e.g we sat 2 exams for Each sciences but next year we will have 3 for each. and the 3 exams will include lap over modules from each year. E.g Lets say year 1 was module 1,2,3,4 and year 2 was 5,6.
A2 exams will have 3 papers
paper 1: Unit 1,2,4,5
Paper 2: Unit 1,2,3,6
Unified paper : 1,2,3,4,5,6

When you move on to year 2 (A2) the grades achieved at AS get dissolved( they don't count towards A2)
With all this now clear do you recommend retaking if your AS grades are: CCBB/CDDD Bio Chem Maths Physics respectively?
No they will be separate exams except everything from A2 and AS will be tested again. if that makes any sense. So for e.g we sat 2 exams for Each sciences but next year we will have 3 for each. and the 3 exams will include lap over modules from each year. E.g Lets say year 1 was module 1,2,3,4 and year 2 was 5,6.
A2 exams will have 3 papers
paper 1: Unit 1,2,4,5
Paper 2: Unit 1,2,3,6
Unified paper : 1,2,3,4,5,6

When you move on to year 2 (A2) the grades achieved at AS get dissolved( they don't count towards A2)
With all this now clear do you recommend retaking if your AS grades are: CCBB/CDDD Bio Chem Maths Physics respectively?

So if your grades towards AS grades are dissolved towards your A2 than I recommend you continue. However speak to your teachers just to be sure, as retaking a year isn't bad at all. So all the best.
So if your grades towards AS grades are dissolved towards your A2 than I recommend you continue. However speak to your teachers just to be sure, as retaking a year isn't bad at all. So all the best.

But would it be wise. if one believes lack of knowledge was not to be blame for the CDDD but instead the exam techniques and destraction and if one could literally verbally repeat everything out the book word for word and achieve As and Bs in mocks. Do you think one should repeat? I know this would be very difficult for you to answer as everyone varies.
But would it be wise. if one believes lack of knowledge was not to be blame for the CDDD but instead the exam techniques and destraction and if one could literally verbally repeat everything out the book word for word and achieve As and Bs in mocks. Do you think one should repeat? I know this would be very difficult for you to answer as everyone varies.

Yes thats also one of that irritating things about a levels is the exam techniques, you could literally write something word for word from the text book but if the mark scheme wants it in a particular way than that answer is wrong. So if I were in that position I would continue but make sure you buckle up this time as its going to cost you a lot of sweat and blood.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes thats also one of that irritating things about a levels is the exam techniques, you could literally write something word for word from the text book but if the mark scheme wants it in a particular way than that answer is wrong. So if I were in that position I would continue but make sure you buckle this time as its going to cost you a lot of sweat and blood.

thank you very much for all your advice and help. If you dont mind me asking one last question. What is your current education status? uni or job?
thank you very much for all your advice and help. If you dont mind me asking one last question. What is your current education status? uni or job?

I finished my a levels this year and I did them as a private candidate, I'm applying to university this year as I'm taking a gap year to save up some money for uni and take a break from studying.
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might be in a similar situation. Predicted AABB, and got DEEU(U) in Business, Maths, History, Physics (General Studies) respectively.
Spoke to the headteacher on Results Day and, although you usually need 2 D's to get into Year 13, he will allow me to proceed if I want, due to mitigating circumstances (he suspects I might have depression, if it helps to answer my question I'll completely fine with going into details).

I worked pretty hard I thought (clearly not enough), tried my very best in and out of class throughout the year. It's probably worth saying I couldn't concentrate properly in any of my exams, likely due to anxiety.

What do you reckon - should I retake Year 12 or continue into Year 13? I feel like I do have a solid grasp on the knowledge but my exam technique is terrible and I'm short on practice. But since Business and History are new AS subjects, they wouldn't really count anyway... I'd drop Physics, and Maths would count.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ODN
I might be in a similar situation. Predicted AABB, and got DEEU(U) in Business, Maths, History, Physics (General Studies) respectively.
Spoke to the headteacher on Results Day and, although you usually need 2 D's to get into Year 13, he will allow me to proceed if I want, due to mitigating circumstances (he suspects I might have depression, if it helps to answer my question I'll completely fine with going into details).

I worked pretty hard I thought (clearly not enough), tried my very best in and out of class throughout the year. It's probably worth saying I couldn't concentrate properly in any of my exams, likely due to anxiety.

What do you reckon - should I retake Year 12 or continue into Year 13? I feel like I do have a solid grasp on the knowledge but my exam technique is terrible and I'm short on practice. But since Business and History are new AS subjects, they wouldn't really count anyway... I'd drop Physics, and Maths would count.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I suggest you should retake yr 12 and begin again. Are you thinking of changing your subjects?
Reply 14
Original post by Workangel_24
I suggest you should retake yr 12 and begin again. Are you thinking of changing your subjects?

I was considering restarting the same subjects, as I do like them. But there's the possibility that there won't be any more space for students on the courses that I want to retake, so I might have to switch one or two subjects anyway.

[If they didn't have space on the Maths course, I would likely try to move back to the old school I attended in Year 11, because I need that to do an Economics degree. But that would introduce a host of new issues...]
(edited 7 years ago)

Only one of my courses is Linear

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the general consensus is to not retake? I do sociology Spanish English language and music technology

C - Englang
D - Spanish
D- music
E - sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest