The Student Room Group

RAF - "black tie" for women

We've been invited to our squadron's annual ball in the officer's mess and the dress code is "black tie" which I think means "ball gown" for women. I've heard various instructions about length, covered/uncovered shoulders, whether the skirt can have a slit in it, ... but nothing consistent! Can anyone tell me what are the official rules, or where to find them? (I've tried 1358 but it just says "ball gown" without any more detail.)
Reply 1
If you err, you err on the side of caution: floor length, slit to the knee at most + shoulders covered by something you could later remove.

It might be overly conservative, but at least if it's wrong it's the right side of wrong - is always better to be overdressed than underdressed.
Agree with all above; it may also be worth, if possible, getting in touch with some of the other ladies who are going to check what kind of attire they're planning to wear.
Reply 3
Original post by Tempest II
Agree with all above; it may also be worth, if possible, getting in touch with some of the other ladies who are going to check what kind of attire they're planning to wear.

Thanks - there have been *extensive* discussions between the three of us going :biggrin: but we are all newbies so appreciate the advice on here!
Reply 4
Original post by Goldfisher
Thanks - there have been *extensive* discussions between the three of us going :biggrin: but we are all newbies so appreciate the advice on here!

I'm assuming UAS here, so why not ask girls in the years above what they will wear?
'Ballerina length' or longer ie mid calf. No slit too far up, knee length is safe. If shoulders are not covered in the dress, I would recommend some sort of scarf / shawl that can cover the shoulders. The rule tends to be shoulders covered whilst eating, but a wrap of sorts is useful if the evening ends up chilly. Also, not too much flesh or tattoos on show to stay safe.
Original post by Goldfisher
We've been invited to our squadron's annual ball in the officer's mess and the dress code is "black tie" which I think means "ball gown" for women. I've heard various instructions about length, covered/uncovered shoulders, whether the skirt can have a slit in it, ... but nothing consistent! Can anyone tell me what are the official rules, or where to find them? (I've tried 1358 but it just says "ball gown" without any more detail.)

I would go for floor length just to be safe
Reply 7
I'm probably going to be accused of being old fashioned but when it comes to the threat of port fines, I tend to go reversionary and ask a member of the committee...someone trustworthy too 🌝
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks all, I'm going to get a floor length dress with no slits, and take shawl of some kind, just to be sure I'm within the rules.
Reply 9
Just to say thankyou to everyone who gave advice on here! The evening went really well and we were told we were dressed very suitably for the occasion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest