The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asdfgh123qwerty
Hmm, thats quite strange then because at AS i think more people mess up than do well so without resits a lot of people would be in a similar situation. Im not sure how the linear spec works. When you go to re-enrol im sure you will be told about what options you have but honestly if you are willing to work harder (by this i mean start revision right when lessons begin), do all past papers e.t.c. moving up to BBC from DDE is possible if you nail A2 exams (my A2 exams went much better than AS as i was more prepared as i had coverend everything which you will have to if you start revision early). Speak to your teacher and they will tell you your options this could be redoing all exams for the subjects which may sound daunting but it will be worth it.
Can I please ask how you got such high predictions ? Was it a case of you being generally a good student but just bad exams or ?
Original post by Ninjakam119
Hi. Firstly I would suggest asking your subject teachers for maths and physics to see what they think, but don't worry if they don't think you can get an A after your AS grades,my teachers thought the same. In all honesty, I didn't like math and preferred physics too. Well if you did well in your mocks, that could suggest you do have the potential to do well in math and maybe you just had a bad day in the exam hall? I'm not sure how the physics exams are now, but let me tell you, doing c1 and m1 as your resits will not be a massive load at all. C1 you could honestly revise the week before after studying c3/c4 for a year as you need to go over the basics of c1 to do the A2 modules in math anyway. And m1 may be your 'bit of physics' next year, since your mind works visually, mechanics shouldn't be much a problem.
From personal experience, most of my friends who did both math and physics did better in math and I do think math is the easiest option as once you've got the key aspects all you really need to do is all the past papers. But have a look at the specification for next year's physics, maybe during the remainder of the summer look at exam solutions video's for c3/c4 and look some physics resources and get a gist of what you might be doing next year, don't worry if you don't get it straight away though, that's why you have teachers :smile:

Yh overall i do feel like taking 3 sciences would be stressful as they all have experiments and all included in the exam papers and i am not familiar with the physics one. But the thing is my physics teacher would be more likely to predict me a higher grade than my new maths teacher as he knows me better and the new maths teacher is also head of sixform said "you wont be able to apply to AAB-AAA courses if you carry on to A2 with these grades". I really don't want to pick physics just because i would get a higher predicted grades and not feel comfortable doing it. I need to apply to medicine and i only want to get the offers so i can get motivated and try my best and hopefully get AAA. So this is the last issue that is surrounding me. Also the grades for my sciences AS get liquified and i get a clean slate for year 2 if i do decide to carry on. From what i have heard so far. people told me to carry on to A2 and either go into clearing or adjustment oe apply as a graduate or do a foundation year medicine course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by AppleB
She told her teachers she'd work hard and her teachers already knew she was a hard working pupil.

hi, I am in the same situation, got ABCC (English lit, maths, chem and bio) teachers might predict me AAA because I'm also a hard-working student - they said this was probs just a one off. BUT I'm still very disgusted with myself.
I was wondering, what your cousin got at A2 and also what Uni's did she apply to? Thanks for sharing :smile:
Original post by Sunethra
hey. congrats. did u resit your AS? i got BBCC just days ago and im so disspointed. Any advice?

Well done those grades are good. My advice would be to just work harder really and not be disheartened. Once your back in college you will need to start revision from the first week onwards this is something that NEEDS to be done otherwise it will be left to last minute and that's what will lead to bad grades. Just do past papers, read examiners reports and thoroughly pay attention to the content you learn and cover every topic. And yes for maths I resit every AS and I had to go to all AS lessons with the new AS students and for the C grades subjects I rest one paper each ( I had to attend supplementary classes towards the end of the year ). You timetable will be quite bad and I was quite annoyed throughout the year but trust me once I got my results on Thursday and saw AAA it was all worth it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Razzler12
Can I please ask how you got such high predictions ? Was it a case of you being generally a good student but just bad exams or ?

Honestly I do t really know, I went in to college before it re started as my head of hall was there and spoke to her about what went wrong so I guess by doing this she may have seen that I was really going to be working much harder. And if I am honest I did no work during the whole year until April holidays as I thought 1-2 weeks revision would be enough ( this is what I done for GCSEs and I achieved quite high grades). So just speak to the teachers and perform well in the first few weeks ( I got A's in all class assignments during first term back) and this will mean teacher are able to predict high as they will make your references and prediction and send them off in October November time.
Original post by Asdfgh123qwerty
Well done those grades are good. My advice would be to just work harder really and not be disheartened. Once your back in college you will need to start revision from the first week onwards this is something that NEEDS to be done otherwise it will be left to last minute and that's what will lead to bad grades. Just do past papers, read examiners reports and thoroughly pay attention to the content you learn and cover every topic.

I am not very happy with them because i am very hardworking. I am debating whether to resit or not. in your case did u resit? my math mark is just two UMS away from an A and one of my physics modules i was confident i did well but the grade show otherwise. i am hoping to send for remarking.
Original post by Sunethra
I am not very happy with them because i am very hardworking. I am debating whether to resit or not. in your case did u resit? my math mark is just two UMS away from an A and one of my physics modules i was confident i did well but the grade show otherwise. i am hoping to send for remarking.

Definitely resit I would say. All the AS papers I resat I got A's in and next year you will look at AS work and think it was easy especially with A2 knowledge. The remark is worth it but ask your teacher to see which one to send back as they will know what papers have higher chance of being marked wrongly but a remark is worth it for say maths as 2 Ums could easily go up but if you are off by more than 5-10 I would resit and not bother remarking ( maybe your physics?).
Someone should actually make a article explaining how to improve the grades. Like post all the tips there etc
guys, these are some brief tips from an A2 :

what was your weakness? did you REALLY work hard (:colondollar:) or did you LACK understanding or detailed knowledge. you need to know the specifics INSIDE OUT for those top grades!

DROP the right subject. usually your worst grade or the one with the least potential for improvement. LOOK AT ALL THE UNI REQUIREMENTS PLEASE I BEG YOU.

TIME - MANAGEMENT. start from day one making notes i mean it. because making notes is boring and easy but you can make them colourful and whatnot because YOU WILL HAVE NO TIME AFTER JANUARY. it FLIES. honestly idek where it went :biggrin: (BBC iPlayer)

practice and formulate typical exam answers. i know things are different for the new spec but TBH whatever everyone is in your boat. USE EVERYTHING. for maths, USE EXAMSOLUTIONS. USE the worked out answers. for chem, KNOW YOUR BLOODY EQUATIONS AND SYNTHETIC ROUTES. know your DAMNED suggest questions...

lastly, you must know by now that it is only you and your results alone at the end of the day. nobody else. so FORGET about other people, stop COMPARING yourself, focus on what you want and never lose sight of it pleaaaase. watch the occasional show, movie, reward yourself but never LOSE THAT MOTIVATION. peace.

edit: yes these capitals mean i'm SHOUTING in my head
(edited 7 years ago)
hey guys,
Just finished my AS levels this year in maths, biology and chemistry. I got AAA. Should I pick up an AS in physics during my time in year 13 or not?
Hi guys im thinking to do retake gcse maths because I got a grade C and it affects my university choice
Will it be hard doing it in A2 with
Biology
Psychology
Sociology
?
Original post by geography1294
Got the exact same UMS as you. What did you use to revise S1 and did you resit any other exams for different subejcts. I got a C and want an A. Is it possible for me to resit and get an A grade?

No i only resat maths, but I would advise to resit all of AS maths if you got the same UMS as me. My other subjects were A grades at AS.

For S1 ALL you need is the CGP revision guide for S1, its the blue one. It is all I used. Make sure you do every question in it though, and keep doing all the questions at the end of the chapter untill you get them right. The book is amazing as every question has a full solution in the answers page which really helps with stats.

If you buy the book you should have S1 to a full UMS standard in a week, as its an easy module. Obviously do all the past papers, and learn how to use your calculator properly.

I would honestly resit all three as A2 maths is alot harder, and by the time you have done C3 and C4 cores one and two seem like a doddle. Basically C1 and C2 are free UMS.
Original post by papajani1234
hi, I am in the same situation, got ABCC (English lit, maths, chem and bio) teachers might predict me AAA because I'm also a hard-working student - they said this was probs just a one off. BUT I'm still very disgusted with myself.
I was wondering, what your cousin got at A2 and also what Uni's did she apply to? Thanks for sharing :smile:

I got the same grades except i do spanish don't b disgusted you've done better than most. I was a disappointed when I got my results on Thursday but I've moved past it and going to use it to motivate me to do amazing next year :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thanks so much. When did you start making notes for C1 & C2?

Made my notes in January, so they would be ready for May.
I basically forgot all of C2 as I did no past papers and ended up making them again, it should only take 2 hours max to make notes for maths, as there is nothing to make notes on.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Hi there :hugs:. I'm sorry to hear things didn't quite the way you expected. Not AS to A2 but I did get a D in Further Maths originally and retook to get an A today. I hope this helps.

Thankyou, I needed that re-assurance, I will be re-sitting almost ALL my exams from AS. :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by soLit
They were not bad AS results, but a lot less than I wanted.

AS: AABBC
A2: A*A*A(b) and A*EPQ

My advice: RESITS! Literally resit every exam you can, that you did not get an A in at AS

Your AS grades are exactly the same as the ones I got this year and I'm also doing EPQ... that means there is still a bit of chance for me to get into medicine.
Original post by AppleB
She told her teachers she'd work hard and her teachers already knew she was a hard working pupil.

So did I I think I had a bad test so I will try explaining that to my teachers and hopefully get good predicted results as my library time sheet is full of hours all through the year and I have just had surgery to fix a toothache so I should even feel much better now.

Thank you :smile:
Right.. At GCSE I got 11 A*s and was one of the top students at my school, then at AS I ended up with ABC (A in Bio, B in Geo and C in Eng Lang & Lit). I was devastated not only because of the huge drop from my performance back at GCSE but cos I was so set up for English at Oxford. It had been my dream and I spent my entire secondary school career preparing for it, and yet right there I got an E in the Lit paper because I only managed to finish half of it. It was like a slap in my face.

My head of 6th form told me to 'repeat Year 12' and said to me 'alright then now English at Oxford is dead in the water' and 'normally you should even drop English but shame that you're already only doing 3 subjects', right on the day when I was at my weakest. Then I decided to change and apply for Psychology instead and thus ignored him and carried on with Year 13. After some struggle I decided to still go for Oxford. Between Results Day last year and the day my school began, I was spending all the hours except sleeping and eating just studying and preparing for Psychology at uni. I was fueled with the sheer desire and will to rise back up from my rock bottom again and prove anyone who doubted my ability wrong. I had never thought I'd go for Psychology and so I had to catch up what a normal Oxbridge Psychology applicant would have done in like 3 to 4 years within 3 to 4 weeks. And that was the only way I could prove to people that I'm capable and deserving of a high enough prediction out of my ABC when I went back in September in order to apply to Oxford.

After I got back to school everyone was telling me not to waste a place, and teachers were advising me not to apply for unis that have offers higher than AAB. The head of 6th form was telling my English teacher not to predict me anything higher than a B. My English teacher though was the one I must thank as he said to me in the end 'I won't predict you anything less than an A. I want to show you that I believe in you.' So there I went and went for it.

And then I got an interview invite. And then an offer. And then an offer for their scholarship.

I've put in a huge amount of work and time both for the preparation for the course and for my EPQ which is subject-related (and it has expanded my mind and knowledge so much; also helped massively at my interview), and an even huger determination and effort for 'upping' my grades. A2 was hard work, resitting was too, but when I found the will, I found the power.

In the end I got 4 A*s for my A2. A* in all 3 of my subjects and an A* for my EPQ. What kicked that head of 6th form and all others who have ever doubted me in the arse the most wasn't even that I got into Oxford, having defied all odds. It was that I got full UMS in my English, while just 10 months ago my head of 6th form was saying 'don't even predict a B'. And now I'm off to read Experimental Psychology at Oxford in October. This year was my come-back, my rebound. I just want to tell you and everyone here that if you have the will, you'll keep turning 'impossible' into 'possible'.

When there's a WILL, there's a WAY. Don't ever let anybody tell you that you 'can't', most of all, don't let yourself tell you that you can't. Find your will, prepare to be flexible and be open to changes, and always believe, and always always try, then you'll find a way. I hope my experience empowers you, and I wish you all the best. x

Love,
MoonVirgo
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by minjinoor
maths chem french physics respectively BBCC , felt like utter sh*t, was so depressed, thought i'd have to go to a sh*t uni >>>fast forward>>>>>> dropped physics >>>> ABB predictions so I had to firm a uni i didn't like >>>> just got AAA and a place at UCL

Wow thats mad man congrats :smile: well done! And if i may ask what course are you planning to do?
Original post by Nonamebzja
Wow thats mad man congrats :smile: well done! And if i may ask what course are you planning to do?

lol thats my prob...idek
i have a place at ucl for nat sci, or the option to take a gap year and reapply for the degrees that i want but cant get through adjsutment. bc btw adjustment is not that successful, so get GOOD predicted grades from the beginning...

Quick Reply

Latest