The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Freshers Megathread 2016

Results day is just around the corner (), but this is the place to be on the day and onwards!

A preemptive congratulations to those that are going to the university and you can use this thread to say hello to fellow students before your fantastic journey begins!

This thread is yours, take it away

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone ,

I'm Amelia, one of the student ambassadors at the University of Sheffield and I'm here to answer any qurstions you might have today. I've just finished my BSc Biology degree after studying Biology, Chemistry and History at A-Level, and am starting an MSc in Management and Leadership in September. As part of my Biology degree, I chose to do a dissertation, so spent lots of time writing and reading about a particular aspect of biology. I'm from Manchester originally so moved to Sheffield when I started my degree and lived in halls for the first year before moving into a privately owned house for my later years.

During my time at University I have had a part time job as a student ambassador, with one of the highlights of which includes dressing up as the University's mascot, Rory the tiger on one of the open days! Further to this I have also been a part of the Women's Cricket Club for the duration of my time at University, spending two years on committee also. I have also taken part in various volunteering and fundraising projects across the University and next year I am also taking up a position on the University's Sports Committee.

So if you have any questions about anything to do with student life at the University of Sheffield right through to applying with clearing I'll be more than happy to answer them and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
If you know you're going to Sheffield and can't wait to get stuck into the fun of Fresher's Week, tickets for the events have just gone on sale. The facebook event for the week (https://www.facebook.com/events/1553850258252627/) details what's going on at the Union Nightclub throughout the week and provides links for all the event ticket pages in the description so is well worth a read.

Fresher's Week is a great time to settle in to University and get to know all the people in your flat and beyond. In my experience, most people attend nights out at the union in Fresher's Week, especially towards the beginning of the week, and the Union is packed full of Freshers just like yourselves every night of the week. The Union is also a top night year round so you'll have a great time. I went to the Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Saturday events at the Union in my freshers week, heading out into sheffield on the Wednesday and Friday night but the best nights out I had were definitely had in the Union! Since then I've become a ROAR addict, which is the regular Wednesday Union night, so I'll be popping over to the webiste to buy my ticket for that once I'm done posting on here!
If you already know which nights you want to go to then go ahead and buy your tickets now, but if you're not too sure yet or you want to wait a bit longer before making a decision don't worry! Most events won't sell out for a while yet as there'll be loads of people thinking the same thing as you and waiting to buy tickets. If you're wanting tickets to pop tarts on the Saturday however don't wait too long as they tend to sell out quicker than the rest, but don't take that as a cue to panic buy -there's plenty of tickets to go around!

Also, check out @shefintro16 if you want to know more about what goes on in Fresher's Week!

Amelia
Is it normal for people to buy their tickets before arriving for freshers? I would assume the majority just turn up in September and arrange with their flat what events people are going to and buy tickets on the day?
Original post by BossManWozMan
Is it normal for people to buy their tickets before arriving for freshers? I would assume the majority just turn up in September and arrange with their flat what events people are going to and buy tickets on the day?

Hi there,

Some people once they know what flat they're in are able to find their flatmates on facebook etc and start up a chat to decide what events they want to go to so can buy their tickets before arriving in Sheffield. Some people in my flat had pre-bought tickets, especially for events like the Tuesday Club as they were big on that kind of music, but a lot of people do like you say wait until they meet up with their flatmates to decide what events they want to go to before buying tickets. Most events won't sell out until around the day of the event or a few days before, unless you're looking at nights out like Pop Tarts, as that one's a big hit with all the returning students too who are likely to buy tickets early. Even if they do sell out as well, sometimes they run a one in one out policy after last entry so it's not the end of the world - I got into Pop Tarts in my Freshers week this way, but that's a while ago now!

Amelia
Reply 5
Hi, just wondering what events under 18s will be able to attend during freshers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bcmh
Hi, just wondering what events under 18s will be able to attend during freshers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We run a program called Give It A Go where you can try out different activities and sports ran by all the clubs and societies at the University. It works on a pay as you go basis so there's no long term commitment but if you enjoy the activities those running them will be able to send you in the direction of somewhere you can get involved with that sport or activity on a regular basis. All the Give It A Go's are listed here: https://tickets.sheffieldstudentsunion.com/ents/eventlist/giveitago/ for you to have a look at what's on offer before you get here. The programme also runs day trips to places around the UK, such as Chatsworth House.

We also have the Film Unit, a student run indepent cinema unit in the Students Union, which you can find more information on here: https://www.facebook.com/FilmUnitSheffield/about/?entry_point=page_nav_about_item&tab=overview
Hi everyone,

I'm signing off now, but Charlotte and Alice from UK/EU Recruitment will be looking after the forum tomorrow and will be able to answer any questions you may have.

The Clearing and adjustment helpline (0114 222 8015) is still open and will remain so until 6pm this evening, and then will re-open tomorrow from 8.30am-5pm.

All the best,

Amelia :smile:
What date are we supposed to arrive?
Reply 9
Original post by katemate98
What date are we supposed to arrive?

Inro/Fresher's week starts on the 19th of September (Monday) but you'll should be able to move into your accommodation the weekend before (17th) - you'll have to check what is says on your accommodation contract.
Bumping for Derwent A4 - there's 6 of us at the moment, looking for 4 more. :smile:
Anyone here living in Froggatt with me for the next year? :biggrin: It looks really nice, I'm pretty happy I got offered there.
I'm in Froggatt! apartment E2, anyone else??
Original post by subarbiea
I'm in Froggatt! apartment E2, anyone else??

Apartment B6 :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Anyone here living in Froggatt with me for the next year? :biggrin: It looks really nice, I'm pretty happy I got offered there.

Froggatt G5, looks so nice! :biggrin:
I'm froggatt H5 so guess we're neighbours :')
Original post by Jess_R
Reply 16
Yeah we'll be pretty close! :smile:
Reply 17
Are froggat and Endcliffe the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CalistaJupiter
I'm froggatt H5 so guess we're neighbours :':wink:

Original post by Jess_R

Perhaps I'll see you guys at Freshers :biggrin: You never know.

I really like the look of the accommodation, slightly expensive but I think it'll be worth it for first year ^.^
Original post by Sufyxyz
Are froggat and Endcliffe the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, Frogatt is a bunch of buildings within Endcliffe.

Look at the map here.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.408988!/file/student-accommodation-oct14.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending