The Student Room Group

Gcse resits

If you rest you GCSES to make your grades better do universities look down at your application especially if you want to do medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by babznd
If you rest you GCSES to make your grades better do universities look down at your application especially if you want to do medicine?

To be honest in my mind I always thought it would be the other way round. Wouldn't it show universities that you are determined to succeed, and that you don't give up at the first sight of failure?
Reply 2
Original post by Vyres
To be honest in my mind I always thought it would be the other way round. Wouldn't it show universities that you are determined to succeed, and that you don't give up at the first sight of failure?

My tutor said its the final grade that counts, I am really determined and want to make my GCSES results up to scratch if my results aren't up to scratch on results day.
I am also thinking to do extra a levels, will that increase my chance of getting into university and balance out me redoing my GCSE's?
Also would you recommend doing IGCSE's or GCSES for retakes?
Also thanks a lot for the reply!
Reply 3
What if I did IGCSE'S instead of retaking GCSES? and thanks for the reply!
Reply 4
Original post by babznd
My tutor said its the final grade that counts, I am really determined and want to make my GCSES results up to scratch if my results aren't up to scratch on results day.
I am also thinking to do extra a levels, will that increase my chance of getting into university and balance out me redoing my GCSE's?
Also would you recommend doing IGCSE's or GCSES for retakes?
Also thanks a lot for the reply!

Just do the normal GCSEs, a university nor employer is going to care if you did IGCSEs. You can do the extra A-levels if you really want to, but becareful. A lot of people went and did 5+ A-levels and they completely messed up because they couldn't handle the work load. You don't need to have a hundred A-levels to your name. Just do 3-4 A-levels and achieve As and Bs and you'll find your way to a great university.
Original post by babznd

Yes sadly, for medicine a lot of unis will look down on resits at GCSE. Do check though and email them to be sure.

On the bright side, they care way more about A-levels than GCSE.
Reply 6
What is the UKCAT?
Reply 7
Original post by babznd
What is the UKCAT?

it is the medical admissions test you do if you are not planning to go to oxford, cambridge, imperial college or university college london

Quick Reply

Latest