The Student Room Group
Realistically, a part time job might be, say, 16 hours a week at £7 per hour. Between September and June that's close to £5,000. So it can be done, but you may well need to get an overdraft to cover fees and food before you've earnt enough, and you do need to get a job straight away and keep it up the whole year. Have you saved any money by working over summer?
its bs how they presume all people from higher income households will get financial support and then so many are in your situation...
Reply 3
Original post by Saoirse:3
Realistically, a part time job might be, say, 16 hours a week at £7 per hour. Between September and June that's close to £5,000. So it can be done, but you may well need to get an overdraft to cover fees and food before you've earnt enough, and you do need to get a job straight away and keep it up the whole year. Have you saved any money by working over summer?

I had planned too but I've unfortunately been dealing with a lot these past few months and am basically going empty handed. I'm very much hoping I'll be able to get a job quickly but I'm not sure if my luck is that solid.
Original post by akaranana
I had planned too but I've unfortunately been dealing with a lot these past few months and am basically going empty handed. I'm very much hoping I'll be able to get a job quickly but I'm not sure if my luck is that solid.

Do you have any previous work experience and a CV ready to go? There's normally plenty of jobs around in uni towns but often it's a matter of applying very quickly before others get on to it, so you need to be organised. I'm sure you'll find something :smile: The only other thing you can really do, if it's an option for you, is to stay at home another year, work and save some cash up - or talk to your parents about whether they'd be willing/able to help you at least short-term if you can't find work.
Reply 5
Original post by RomeoSantos
its bs how they presume all people from higher income households will get financial support and then so many are in your situation...

yeah, I'm really stressing out because I'll be estranged but because it's recent I'll have no way of proving it. I just want to be able to live comfortably, I would love to be able to go out regularly but I don't see that being an option so I'll be okay with just sticking to working. I'm just struggling to wrap my head around how I'll work this all out
Reply 6
Original post by Saoirse:3
Do you have any previous work experience and a CV ready to go? There's normally plenty of jobs around in uni towns but often it's a matter of applying very quickly before others get on to it, so you need to be organised. I'm sure you'll find something :smile: The only other thing you can really do, if it's an option for you, is to stay at home another year, work and save some cash up - or talk to your parents about whether they'd be willing/able to help you at least short-term if you can't find work.

I have a pretty solid cv so I'm thinking of going and applying for jobs before I move out. I have been taking a gap year for personal reasons this past year so I'm not sure if I'd really want to take another year out. help from parents isn't an option
unfortunately the accommodation options for Liverpool seem quite high...ill have to look into accommodation options that aren't on campus I suppose
I have a pretty solid cv so I'm thinking of going and applying for jobs before I move out. I have been taking a gap year for personal reasons this past year so I'm not sure if I'd really want to take another year out. help from parents isn't an option
unfortunately the accommodation options for Liverpool seem quite high...ill have to look into accommodation options that aren't on campus I suppose

If your estranged but can't prove it (Student Finance definitely aren't much help most of the time), I'd also talk to your uni about potentially getting extra support. They should have discretionary funds for cases like yours where you're in a poor financial position through no fault of your own and it could interfere with your course. If it's the University of Liverpool, the details for their finance team are here :smile:
If you get a student bank account, you should be able to get an interest free overdraft. Your SU may have jobs going?
in your position it's also worth considering if there's cheaper non-university managed accommodation? That would take some of the pressure off in terms of work, you'd probably still need to but it could save you £1000+ a year
Just take a gap year and find a full time job.
Reply 11
all self catered accommodation for my uni is looking to be £4800+ and I'll be receiving the lowest amount of student loan £3800~). I'll be receiving no financial support from parents.
if I get a part time job will I be able to afford accommodation? this still isn't considering money for food etc. I'm worried I won't be able to go; any advice on what I can do??,

Hi there,
I am in this exact situation: really low maintenance loan
Did you figure this out? I also want to go Liverpool
Can I ask what you ended up doing?
all self catered accommodation for my uni is looking to be £4800+ and I'll be receiving the lowest amount of student loan £3800~). I'll be receiving no financial support from parents.
if I get a part time job will I be able to afford accommodation? this still isn't considering money for food etc. I'm worried I won't be able to go; any advice on what I can do??,

Can I ask what you ended up doing?

Latest

Trending

Trending