The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
Probably Staples's branch on Chesterton Road is the cheapest place in Cambridge but it's not in the town centre.
http://www.staples.co.uk (Use store locator for the address)

There's a branch of Ryman (Sidney street) and W.H. Smith (market square) in town centre if you want shops in the centre, and they always have good bargain deals for new academic year.

Okay, I'm going to start copying all your posts into a word file. :rofl:
Reply 141
I have some questions about bicycles in Cambridge, if anyone has any knowledge:

1. How expensive are bikes in Cambridge? I want to buy a basic hybrid bike; 24+ gears, nimble enough for everyday city use but fast enough to go on country rides.

2. How easily are bikes stolen? Do I need to invest in a quality lock / be careful about storing my bike outdoors or are bikes generally speaking safe? This is coming from someone who lived in the Netherlands for the past year which is notorious for bike thefts.
Reply 142
Original post by eniet

1. How expensive are bikes in Cambridge? I want to buy a basic hybrid bike; 24+ gears, nimble enough for everyday city use but fast enough to go on country rides.

2. How easily are bikes stolen? Do I need to invest in a quality lock / be careful about storing my bike outdoors or are bikes generally speaking safe? This is coming from someone who lived in the Netherlands for the past year which is notorious for bike thefts.

Not sure about buying a bike but make sure you get a decent D lock and a cable lock for your wheels if they are quick release. I know a few people that have had their bike stolen.
Original post by eniet

Not much idea for your first question but for the second question ;
It's not like most people get their bike stolen but, yes, it can happen (did happen to 3 of my daughter!s friends). Allegedly bike theft in Cambridge is the second worst in UK after Glasgow, according to a newspaper article a few years ago. Not sure how they compare to Netherlands though......
Get a good quality, solid D-lock. Professional thieves have a tool to cut chain locks, so good solid D-lock is the only thing to stop them. And lock the bike properly and link it to something unmovable (fence, post, etc.) when you leave it unattended.
A friend of my daughter got hers stolen when she popped in a shop for 2 minutes. Literally. In a day light in the centre of town where many people were walking around. (One of them was the thief, obviously....)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Phys NatSci at Clare College here :smile:

Sweet! Any idea what modules you're taking? :smile: I wanna take them all! :O
Original post by WhisperingTide
Sweet! Any idea what modules you're taking? :smile: I wanna take them all! :O

That's how i feel too :nutcase:
Original post by joshthemathmo
that's how i feel too :nutcase:

give me all the science! Give it to me naooo!!!
Original post by eniet

Bikes are very commonly stolen. My college website explicitly warns not to bring expensive bikes as they will get stolen very quickly.
Is there anyone else doing CompSci w. Maths at a college that does pre-term courses (yay) who knows whether we count as doing NatSci maths or as Mathmos for those courses?
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Anyone going to the London 'Welcome to Cambridge' event?

maybe

EDIT:

oh snap it's right next to my house
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nucleus123
Bikes are very commonly stolen. My college website explicitly warns not to bring expensive bikes as they will get stolen very quickly.

'Very commonly' stolen is a quite bit of exaggeration. :wink:
Many students might know someone around them who got their bike stolen, but a large majority manage to keep on to their bike throughout their course. As long as you're careful and sensible in where and how to park your bike and use a good lock, etc. You should be fine.
You haven't even started at Cambridge yet, it'd be really appreciated you don't spread unfounded rumour on something you don't know.
Thank you. :smile:

Yep, laser cutters go straight through D-locks like butter, if you have an expensive bike the best idea is just not to bring it because it is just going to get stolen at some point.

I had a friend who brought a 2 grand road bike and had it stolen a couple weeks into michaelmas with his D-lock in two halves on the floor where he had it locked. D-Locks provide security to bikes in general, but the more expensive your bike is/looks, the more incentive there is for thieves to use more expensive equipment to grab it. I didn't think it would be a problem, but it turns out to be a huge problem.
I didn't know this thread existed
NatSci physical at Christ's :smile:
Original post by Protoxylic
I had a friend who brought a 2 grand road bike and had it stolen a couple weeks into michaelmas with his D-lock in two halves on the floor where he had it locked.

lmao that is peak
Original post by C0balt
I didn't know this thread existed
NatSci physical at Christ's :smile:

Ello! Looking forward to meeting you guys! :smile:

Original post by vincrows
'Very commonly' stolen is a quite bit of exaggeration. :wink:
Many students might know someone around them who got their bike stolen, but a large majority manage to keep on to their bike throughout their course. As long as you're careful and sensible in where and how to park your bike and use a good lock, etc. You should be fine.
You haven't even started at Cambridge yet, it'd be really appreciated you don't spread unfounded rumour on something you don't know.
Thank you. :smile:

There's a middle ground, but bike theft in Cambridge is an issue. You would be unwise to bring a new or expensive looking bike. in part the problem is the way your bike is used, not like at home where you might take one trip a week and leave it locked up in a shed overnight. At Cam, students tend to be whizzing around and leaving their bikes in 10 different places a day and at all sorts of unplanned stops where finding a perfect, well lit, secure lock up site just doesn't happen.

Plus there are well organised groups who steal bikes in the city and immediately ship them out to other towns. Bike theft is much more than just drunks opportunistically riding off on a Friday night, it's well organised and happens in broad daylight in the middle of town. So bike theft is very much more frequent than in most towns, but sure the numbers show that most people will be able to keep their bike for 3 years if they buy a big lock!

It makes life much easier when rushing between lectures, talks, societies etc etc to use a bike. The roads are busy, but bikes tend to win unless you do something very silly like jump a red light at the Silver Street junction. There are more and more bike paths and off-road routes being created as well.
Original post by WhisperingTide
Ello! Looking forward to meeting you guys! :smile:

Hey! See you in lectures :wink: Which modules are you looking to take?
Original post by C0balt

Physics
Materials.
Chemistry/Computer Science.
I can't decide which one. :O

I also wanna try my hand at Maths B, since I can already do a lot of the online Maths A past papers. :biggrin:
Original post by C0balt

What modules are you looking at taking? I'm thinking Chemistry, Physics, Maths B and materials or earth sciences (not too sure about this one)
For the Phys NatScis on this thread regarding modules.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending