The Student Room Group

University dilemma

I have just finished my A Levels and came out with really bad grades. Ive been through clearing and have managed to scrape into one or two VERY bad universities(according to posts on here/league tables). Do i take what i can get and go to a bad univeristy, just for the degree, or do i take a year and get some more UCAS points and apply to a better university next year?
Original post by Adam.Cole111
I have just finished my A Levels and came out with really bad grades. Ive been through clearing and have managed to scrape into one or two VERY bad universities(according to posts on here/league tables). Do i take what i can get and go to a bad univeristy, just for the degree, or do i take a year and get some more UCAS points and apply to a better university next year?

when you say bad universities what do you mean?
Take a year, get more points and reapply for somewhere else. There is no point in going to university just for the degree.
Out of curiosity what university did you get into?

What are the bad universities?
And what grades did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
when you say bad universities what do you mean?

Bottom of the league tables.
Reply 5
Original post by Bookwormninja
Take a year, get more points and reapply for somewhere else. There is no point in going to university just for the degree.
Out of curiosity what university did you get into?

University of Bolton :/
Bottom of the league tables.

And do you plan on a career where that particularly matters like investment banking? Otherwise if you like the universities then I can't see the harm at all :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Bloom77
What are the bad universities?
And what grades did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only got a C and an E then failed my final subject.
Reply 8
And do you plan on a career where that particularly matters like investment banking? Otherwise if you like the universities then I can't see the harm at all :smile:

I want to go into computer science but that career seems miles off now.
I want to go into computer science but that career seems miles off now.

Computer science isn't my field of expertise, but I do know someone (the partner of my best friend) who is now earning 36k after a couple of years after graduation who didnt go to a particularly high ranked uni, his placement year seems to have been much more important in securing him a job.
Computer science isn't my field of expertise, but I do know someone (the partner of my best friend) who is now earning 36k after a couple of years after graduation who didnt go to a particularly high ranked uni, his placement year seems to have been much more important in securing him a job.

So if i took a year out after my second year to do a placement somewhere id have a much higher chance of employment?
So if i took a year out after my second year to do a placement somewhere id have a much higher chance of employment?

Do they not offer a placement year option? But placement years seem to really help in sectors like that.
Do they not offer a placement year option? But placement years seem to really help in sectors like that.

Dont think so, thats how bad the university is...

Quick Reply

Latest