The Student Room Group

Will I get travel costs paid with DSA?

I have ADHD-PI (ADD), also have a back condition, was wondering if I would be eligible to get funding for train tickets, I am probably eligible for DSA as I am being paid ESA at the moment, but basically even if I did get it would it cover the costs of train tickets each week? And how much would I be eligible for?My social worker says I am eligible for this bursary provided by them personally and may be able to cover travel costs alongside course funding, but I would need to know if I'm eligible for it through social services privately before getting DSA.Also how long does the assessment take?
Original post by NullDrone
I have ADHD-PI (ADD), also have a back condition, was wondering if I would be eligible to get funding for train tickets, I am probably eligible for DSA as I am being paid ESA at the moment, but basically even if I did get it would it cover the costs of train tickets each week? And how much would I be eligible for?My social worker says I am eligible for this bursary provided by them personally and may be able to cover travel costs alongside course funding, but I would need to know if I'm eligible for it through social services privately before getting DSA.Also how long does the assessment take?

As far as I'm aware, you get discounted travel but I don't think you get actual funding for your travel as they'd expect that to come out from your student finance
Reply 2
Do you know how long the assessment will take and whether I will get it for ADD or back condition?
It is for additional travel costs due to your disability so rather than covering for example the train costs you would have normally, it would cover taxis to and from train stations if your back pain meant you were unable to walk.
It depends on how it would affect you rather than having actual diagnosis, i imagine they'd recommend exam adjustments and certain study equipment for you but couldnt tell you much else.

Do you know how long the assessment will take and whether I will get it for ADD or back condition?
Oh and you'd be given a taxi travel allowance which you then claim back, with DSA you never see the cash per say and it's more a grant which you claim back for things for or are given things from.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Oh and you'd be given a taxi travel allowance which you then claim back, with DSA you never see the cash per say and it's more a grant which you claim back for things for or are given things from.

Yeah but my issue isn't getting to the train station, it's getting from my hometown to basingstoke, I just need something so I can get to college, the train tickets would cost around £1K per year, but I'd probably buy a car anyway. It doesn't bother me really.
Yeah but my issue isn't getting to the train station, it's getting from my hometown to basingstoke, I just need something so I can get to college, the train tickets would cost around £1K per year, but I'd probably buy a car anyway. It doesn't bother me really.

If you would be able to drive then DSA wouldn't help you, although if your back pain means you can't walk too far round campus you should be able to get a disabled permit to help.
Oh and i realised i didnt answer your assessment question, it's more like a chat than anything (mine took an hour, i have dyslexia and dyspraxia so it was a reasonably simple one).
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
If you would be able to drive then DSA wouldn't help you, although if your back pain means you can't walk too far round campus you should be able to get a disabled permit to help.
Oh and i realised i didnt answer your assessment question, it's more like a chat than anything (mine took an hour, i have dyslexia and dyspraxia so it was a reasonably simple one).

Well I could just make it out to be worse than it is, but I do have a driving license lol, I was wondering how long it would take to get the appointment, it's getting very close to the start of my course and I need to make sure it's done by now.

I am really counting on my local social services to give me a bursary, as I doubt I am eligible for any kind of free money, even if you've been in care, have a disability, are on ESA, unemployed, not living with parents (so no help from them) and on very low income they still won't help you, sad isn't it?
I get a travel allowance from DSA. Come September, they will cover journeys to and from uni as last year it was one way but I have an added condition.
The taxi company I use sends SFE the invoice at the end of every term. Last year I had to pay and claim it back.
Assessment was done on campus. Think it was about a week, before they finalised it.
Well I could just make it out to be worse than it is, but I do have a driving license lol, I was wondering how long it would take to get the appointment, it's getting very close to the start of my course and I need to make sure it's done by now.

I am really counting on my local social services to give me a bursary, as I doubt I am eligible for any kind of free money, even if you've been in care, have a disability, are on ESA, unemployed, not living with parents (so no help from them) and on very low income they still won't help you, sad isn't it?

Have DSA had your evidence yet? Then they should send you a letter telling you to book an assessment? Your best bet is to call your uni's support service on monday to find out how long it will take.
Depending on your household income and university in general there might be a bursary they can offer, each uni has different ones.
Care leavers get financial help at my uni.
Reply 12
http://www.bcot.ac.uk/media/2971717/financial_support_application_form.pdf , This is the form for the college I am going to, I have looked but it says "Learners will be given travel assistance during the academic year (unless the learner lives within 30 minutes walking time of BCoT calculated using the learners postcode on RAC route planner).". I'm not 30 minutes walking distance away.

It also says "Remission of Fees -
Assistance with Registration, Full Cost, Higher Education and Advanced Learning fees are not possible. Fee Remission through the 19+ bursary has an income threshold of £16,190."

So no help there, I am not eligible for 16-19 bursary as I'm 22.

The cost of your train ticket isn't down to your disability. DSAs can only be used to cover additional costs you encounter, over and above those a non-disabled student would pay, because of your disability.

I don't think the DSA would cover that because all students need to travel to uni, regardless of their medical condition. The DSA only covers things that wouldn't otherwise be necessary if you were fit and well.

Also, a DSA can be awarded for more than one condition so it would take into account ADD and the back issue
Original post by Lovesick
The cost of your train ticket isn't down to your disability. DSAs can only be used to cover additional costs you encounter, over and above those a non-disabled student would pay, because of your disability.

For a lot of students, that's usually the difference between the cost of public transport and taxis. In my case, it was the cost of another persons train ticket. (because I can't make unfamiliar journeys alone and OU study required me to attend tutorials)

Quick Reply

Latest