The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z_o_e
I don't understand this.

Can you do this as one question as an example cause I've got others to do like similar ones.

I started rationalising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can simplify q4 and q5 further.

Example of the question (bottom part of the page):

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471796221.967179.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1221
Original post by RDKGames
You can simplify q4 and q5 further.

Example of the question (bottom part of the page):

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471796221.967179.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so for 5 and 6 you mean the surd 6 can be simplified ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Thank you so for 5 and 6 you mean the surd 6 can be simplified ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that surd cannot be simplified any further. But the fact that you have terms of 12/6 and 4/2, those can be.
Reply 1223
No that surd cannot be simplified any further. But the fact that you have terms of 12/6 and 4/2, those can be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 things are wrong with that. First line: The denominator on the right side is wrong. Check it again closely. Second line: (5)2+12(\sqrt{5})^2+1^2 is not equal to 1.

Why are you dissecting root 6...? I said that you cannot simplify that any further.
Reply 1227
Why are you dissecting root 6...? I said that you cannot simplify that any further.

Yeah I fixed this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1228
I don't get how in suppose to simplify the 4 and 6 as the have numbers in front of them too and inside them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Yeah I fixed this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well your answer is right because you've made two wrong's which cancel each other out. For the first line you still made the same mistake but with opposite sign now.
Reply 1230
Well your answer is right because you've made two wrong's which cancel each other out. For the first line you still made the same mistake but with opposite sign now.

:frown: I give up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem here is that it doesn't look like you know what you're doing and why you're doing it. Simply guessing hoping to get the right answer.
Reply 1232
The problem here is that it doesn't look like you know what you're doing and why you're doing it. Simply guessing hoping to get the right answer.

But I looked at your example and followed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
But I looked at your example and followed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But do you understand the maths in it?
Reply 1234
But do you understand the maths in it?

Yes

Could you point out where the mistake was so I could fix it in green pen and not make that on the other questions. I'd rather keep on going cause I made it this far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Yes

Could you point out where the mistake was so I could fix it in green pen and not make that on the other questions. I'd rather keep on going cause I made it this far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Denominator after the equals sign on line 1: should be (51)(5+1)(\sqrt5 - 1)(\sqrt5 + 1). The rest is fine.

If you understand it, explain to me why we multiply 151\frac{1}{\sqrt5 - 1} by 5+15+1\frac{\sqrt5 + 1}{\sqrt5 + 1} rather than 5151\frac{\sqrt5 - 1}{\sqrt5 - 1} as you would initially guess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1236
Denominator after the equals sign on line 1: should be (51)(5+1)(\sqrt5 - 1)(\sqrt5 + 1). The rest is fine.

If you understand it, explain to me why we multiply 151\frac{1}{\sqrt5 - 1} by 5+15+1\frac{\sqrt5 + 1}{\sqrt5 + 1} rather than 5151\frac{\sqrt5 - 1}{\sqrt5 - 1} as you would initially guess.

Cause we do that rule (a+b) (a-b)

And then do the double brackets and do the squares and work that out to find the denominator of the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Cause we do that rule (a+b) (a-b)

And then do the double brackets and do the squares and work that out to find the denominator of the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not the reason. What you've said applies to either case hence it's not the reason.

What is important about (a+b)(a-b) is that it is the difference of two squares whereby (a+b)(a-b)=a2-b2. So when either a or b is a surd, it will always become an integer. The problem with (a+b)(a+b) is that it equals a2+b2+2ab and due to the 2ab term we would never rationalise the surds, hence never rationalise the denominator.
Reply 1238
That's not the reason. What you've said applies to either case hence it's not the reason.

What is important about (a+b)(a-b) is that it is the difference of two squares whereby (a+b)(a-b)=a2-b2. So when either a or b is a surd, it will always become an integer. The problem with (a+b)(a+b) is that it equals a2+b2+2ab and due to the 2ab term we would never rationalise the surds, hence never rationalise the denominator.

how did this go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
how did this go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Numerator's incorrect.

Quick Reply

Latest