The Student Room Group

Transgender Activist in Turkey burned to death

A prominent Turkish activist was raped and burned to death on 12 August. Hande Kader was a transgender woman and was a big voice in bringing awareness to the violence against sex workers and the LGBT+ community in Turkey.

Turkey has the highest rate of (reported) trans murders in europe with an average of 5 murders per year. Brazil has the highest rate of trans murders in the world, with an average of 94 murders per year.

Just wondered what peoples opinions were on this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That's a nasty way to die.
I thought turkey was getting better

So sad
Original post by BaconandSauce

So sad

Sorry did you miss the whole coup thing?

Turkey is just another Islamic hellhole the secular Goverment and way of life has well and truly gone, Erdogan has consolidated his power and Islam is gonna play a much larger part of Turkey's Goverment from now on and he is using the coup as an excuse to persecute anyone who thinks differently to him. If only his jet had been blown out of the sky maybe the coup would have been succesful.

The saddest part of it all is that the majority of Turks seem to support Erdogan and favour an Islamist/Sharia Turkey and those that do support a secular Turkey are scared to speak out.
Disgusting asf. RIP to the activist.
Original post by Shabalala
Sorry did you miss the whole coup thing?

Turkey is just another Islamic hellhole the secular Goverment and way of life has well and truly gone, Erdogan has consolidated his power and Islam is gonna play a much larger part of Turkey's Goverment from now on and he is using the coup as an excuse to persecute anyone who thinks differently to him. If only his jet had been blown out of the sky maybe the coup would have been succesful.

The saddest part of it all is that the majority of Turks seem to support Erdogan and favour an Islamist/Sharia Turkey and those that do support a secular Turkey are scared to speak out.

sorry should have phrased that better

but yes it is going backwards at an astonishing rate
I'm glad Turkey is going backward as it's obvious the elites want Turkey to be part of Europe when it isn't European
Turkey is the prime example as to why Islam isn't a religion of peace, and never will be.
Original post by epage
A prominent Turkish activist was raped and burned to death on 12 August. Hande Kader was a transgender woman and was a big voice in bringing awareness to the violence against sex workers and the LGBT+ community in Turkey. Turkey has the highest rate of (reported) trans murders in the world.

Just wondered what peoples opinions were on this.

I'm no longer surprised by anything that happens in Islamic countries, any more than I'm surprised by stories of witch hunting and other such barbarity in the late middle ages.
Original post by NotYaboy
Lmfao

What's so funny?
Reply 10
Original post by Dodgypirate
Turkey is the prime example as to why Islam isn't a religion of peace, and never will be.

This one
I'd like to point out that the average life expectancy of trans people is around 30 years, due to murder/suicide etc. I did not create this thread to shame turkey or islamic countries in general. I made it to point out the horrific violence against trans people all over the world.

I'd also like to say that although my original post said turkey has the highest rate of trans murders in the world, I actually meant europe. Brazil holds the title for the highest rate of trans murders in the world. The USA has a higher rate of trans murders than turkey.
Original post by epage
I'd like to point out that the average life expectancy of trans people is around 30 years, due to murder/suicide etc. I did not create this thread to shame turkey or islamic countries in general. I made it to point out the horrific violence against trans people all over the world.

I'd also like to say that although my original post said turkey has the highest rate of trans murders in the world, I actually meant europe. Brazil holds the title for the highest rate of trans murders in the world. The USA has a higher rate of trans murders than turkey.

Gonna need some sources for this stuff. Also, not particularly surprising that Europe and USA have higher rates of trans murders than countries with very few trans people.
Original post by Dodgypirate

Make that the vast majority of the Middle East
Original post by epage

Do you have any sources for those statements?
Original post by KingBradly
Gonna need some sources for this stuff. Also, not particularly surprising that Europe and USA have higher rates of trans murders than countries with very few trans people.

Life expectancy: 1 | 2 (quoted halfway through the article) there are no official sources for this claim. But it is one echoed through the average age trans people are murdered and the sheer scale of hate crimes against trans people.

Rate of trans murders
And yet there's still some question mark over whether they should be in the EU? No way. We don't need this kind of backward nation (who's geography shows only 2% of it is in Europe territory anyway).
Original post by BaconandSauce

So sad

That's what I think every thanksgiving :awesome:

Spoiler

Original post by epage
Life expectancy: 1 | 2 (quoted halfway through the article) there are no official sources for this claim. But it is one echoed through the average age trans people are murdered and the sheer scale of hate crimes against trans people.

Rate of trans murders

Those first two sources are just for Latin America. Awful to hear, but I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that it's a very different story in Europe, especially Western Europe, and North America, where murder and crime rates are generally many, many times lower than in Latin America, and there is nothing like the culture of machismo that exists in some Latin American countries. Western Europe and North America are generally also far more progressive than Latin America.

Also, those statistics showing rates of trans murders don't show Europe as having the highest rates in the world. It shows it as having the lowest of any of the continents, except Africa, where they have only looked into four countries, and where I suspect there probably isn't much of a trans community, and Oceania, which only consists of four countries, and contains relatively few people.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
Those first two sources are just for Latin America. Awful to hear, but I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that it's a very different story in Europe, especially Western Europe, and North America, where murder and crime rates are generally many, many times lower than in Latin America, and there is nothing like the culture of machismo that exists in some Latin American countries. Western Europe and North America are generally also far more progressive than Latin America.

Also, those statistics showing rates of trans murders don't show Europe as having the highest rates in the world. It shows it as having the lowest of any of the continents, except Africa, where they have only looked into four countries, and where I suspect there probably isn't much of a trans community, and Oceania, which only consists of four countries, and contains relatively few people.

I believe it may be a different story, but I don't think it will be that different. Tolerance for trans people is at a very low level in western countries as well as the rest of the world.

Just because something doesn't happen as much in western society does in no way lessen the problems faced there, or indeed other countries. If thousands of trans people are being murdered in latin america, that is a real issue and just because there is a high level of crime there anyway, doesn't mean that trans people aren't being disproportionately murdered.

The second provided probably isn't hugely accurate. No one really knows how many trans people exist (even in western countries) and there is very little data/research on it. There are very few african countries recorded because it is most likely extremely difficult to get data on trans people, and if they are murdered there, it probably won't be recorded as a hate crime or that the person was trans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending