The Student Room Group

It's a disgrace that Britain is not welcoming the Calais refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
Not that much. Even our president can't.

Oh dear :colonhash: They have ****ing Google Translate in France then.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
These people are desperate. They are forced to live in squalid conditions, with crime and other horrid things commonplace. There are children there.

They just want the chance to enter Britain to escape violence and warfare - and yes for a better life for themselves and their families.

Why are we being so intolerant and inhumane by not welcoming them to our country which has a proud tradition of homing refugees?

Well I don't think we should because of EU Law.

This law states that refugees should settle in the first EU country they arrive at.
This is why.

P.S I voted leave
Original post by sfairy27
We need to look at refugees as people and not just statistics. I know it's hard to think about it this way but these refugees do have feelings and I'm 99% sure they'd rather be at home and it be peaceful than have to trek halfway across the world just to be treated like a problem that won't go away.

It's easy to distance yourself from what's happening and I'm aware that that is exactly what people are doing at this moment in time and people will continue to do this as far into the future as I can see. At the end of the day though, until world leaders can get their heads out of their arses and propose real change for war struck areas we need to do more to help in my personal opinion.

It's not just an issue for mainland Europe; this is international and the last time I checked we were in fact, as Brits, part of the world.

(You don't have to like my opinion, I just feel very strongly about this and I hope everyone has a great day 😊)

Posted from TSR Mobile

This! We should welcome the refugees in Calais to Britain without hesitation. We are all human at the end of the day and these people have fled war and violence.
Why? How many safe countries did they pass to get to Calais? Hell they're in FRANCE right now and they're still not satisfied. Sorry, but they don't have my sympathy. If they were real asylum seekers they wouldn't have travelled across Europe to get to where they are. This is economic migration, and I'm glad Britain isn't falling for it.
Because britain is known for its tolerance right? This is the same britain that has bombed these afghans right out of their homes. Also, you are correct in an above comment about them having family in the UK, a lot of them do including minors. These same people chatting s**t about them coming here for benefits we all know are simply racist idiots, as if people would travel on foot through continents and countries where the situation for refugees is much, much worse and then live in a camp which we have documented proof of it being basically less than a shanty town simply to come in and claim benefits. God forbid if they actually get in and start working - then theyre stealing all the jobs! A quick look here and there even if only on TSR can you show you the extent of hatred and racism that runs deep in a certain demographic who have caused the biggest problems on the planet and yet deflect blame here there and everywhere. They also, coincidentally are the ones super quick to respond to each and every thread on any type of ethnic minority business here in TSR, in other words, racist failures unemployed living their life on state paid internet.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Why? How many safe countries did they pass to get to Calais? Hell they're in FRANCE right now and they're still not satisfied. Sorry, but they don't have my sympathy. If they were real asylum seekers they wouldn't have travelled across Europe to get to where they are. This is economic migration, and I'm glad Britain isn't falling for it.

We have to find some humanity though. There are clearly good reasons why they don't want to claim asylum in France or else they would have done. We can't expect France to house every refugee - we must do our fair share.
These people are desperate. They are forced to live in squalid conditions, with crime and other horrid things commonplace. There are children there.

They just want the chance to enter Britain to escape violence and warfare - and yes for a better life for themselves and their families.

Why are we being so intolerant and inhumane by not welcoming them to our country which has a proud tradition of homing refugees?

Because they cost money and a lot of them arent refugees but economic migrants. I dont blame them trying to get to the UK for economic reasons, just as I dont blame the UK for only accepting claims once they get here.
Reply 27
these people have fled war and violence.

How do you know?
Original post by sfairy27
We need to look at refugees as people and not just statistics. I know it's hard to think about it this way but these refugees do have feelings and I'm 99% sure they'd rather be at home and it be peaceful than have to trek halfway across the world just to be treated like a problem that won't go away.

It's easy to distance yourself from what's happening and I'm aware that that is exactly what people are doing at this moment in time and people will continue to do this as far into the future as I can see. At the end of the day though, until world leaders can get their heads out of their arses and propose real change for war struck areas we need to do more to help in my personal opinion.

It's not just an issue for mainland Europe; this is international and the last time I checked we were in fact, as Brits, part of the world.

(You don't have to like my opinion, I just feel very strongly about this and I hope everyone has a great day 😊)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it isn't just an issue for mainland Europe. That's why we're fighting ISIS to cut the head off the snake, and taking refugees from camps in the Middle East so they don't have to make the dangerous journey across the Med. But my original point still stands: what is wrong with the previous 10 countries that they've walked through to get here? They want to come here because they can get generous benefits if they're unskilled, or higher paying jobs than in Eastern Europe if they are skilled. Before you (if not you then someone else) say "what's wrong with them wanting a better life?", absolutely nothing. But with that attitude we'd have to invite a billion Africans, hundreds of millions of South Americans and many others. It's just not physically viable, a nation state's primary responsibility is to act in the interests of its own citizens. We have to be pragmatic about this crisis, not ideological.
We have to find some humanity though. There are clearly good reasons why they don't want to claim asylum in France or else they would have done. We can't expect France to house every refugee - we must do our fair share.
Go on then, give us a good reason why they wouldn't want to claim asylum in France. Note, this is an issue that they are generating themselves; the French authorities aren't denying them asylum.
(edited 6 years ago)
Because britain is known for its tolerance right? This is the same britain that has bombed these afghans right out of their homes. Also, you are correct in an above comment about them having family in the UK, a lot of them do including minors. These same people chatting crap about them coming here for benefits we all know are simply racist idiots, as if people would travel on foot through continents and countries where the situation for refugees is much, much worse and then live in a camp which we have documented proof of it being basically less than a shanty town simply to come in and claim benefits. God forbid if they actually get in and start working - then theyre stealing all the jobs! A quick look here and there even if only on TSR can you show you the extent of hatred and racism that runs deep in a certain demographic who have caused the biggest problems on the planet and yet deflect blame here there and everywhere. They also, coincidentally are the ones super quick to respond to each and every thread on any type of ethnic minority business here in TSR, in other words, racist failures unemployed living their life on state paid internet.
Many reasons why the must not be accepted including the children.

1) EU law states refugees must claim asylum in the first EU country they arrive in.

2) if we do it encourages others to make the same journey

3) the sex attacks at Cologne

I voted leave btw
Original post by Josb
How do you know?

Because they are refugees.

Yeah, we have governments that pander to them more, also there isn't a strong terrorist foothold in Britain yet, or is it purely coincidence that as soon as chaos ensued in Europe through the migrant crisis levels of terrorism increased?

If they're in Southern Europe they can call themselves a refugee, as soon as they're moving to central, Western, and Northern Europe the only term to describe them is economic migrant.
Refugees from what? The last time I checked there wasn't a war going on in France.
Original post by TheTechN1304

Don't blame them for not wanting to remain in France

Take a look at a map of Europe. How many safe countries would they have passed to get here? There must be some degree of economic motive otherwise they wouldn't have come all the way to France and still want to go further...
Original post by JRKinder
Go on then, give us a 'good' reason why THEY wouldn't want to claim asylum in France. Note, this is an issue that they are generating themselves; the French authorities aren't denying them asylum.

- Family and friends in Britain.
- Don't speak French but speak English.
- Perhaps they have had a bad experience with the French authorities and feel scared. Also France is demonstrating a lot of right-wing policies at the moment and maybe they think they will have a more tolerant and multicultural future in Britain.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Don't blame them for not wanting to remain in France

They could have stopped before getting to France if they didn't want to put up with the French, Merkel is being very nice to them after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending