The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia
I have developed ankle oedema in the last few days. Not sure whether it's a combination of heat + 3rd trimester + on-calls, or if I should worry about pre-eclampsia. I need to go see someone tomorrow, don't I?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What happened? Did you get it checked out?
Original post by madamemerle
Oooo, so glad to find this thread!I'm almost 14 weeks, due in Jan. I'm in the middle of writing my PhD thesis, so trying to get as much done as I can before the baby arrives. Unfortunately, the first trimester has set me a bit behind, since I've been absolutely exhausted and nauseous all the time. Have been feeling loads better for the last week, though, so need to get on with it!This is my first baby, and I'm so far away from home...my husband and I are both 3,000 miles from our families, and we don't have much of a support network where we live, other than friends without kids. So, I suspect that will be the most difficult aspect of new parenthood for us.

Congratulations and welcome! Hope the first trimester grimness fades soon. We don't really know anybody in our current area either, though our parents are much closer than yours. I've been going to aqua natal and pregnancy yoga classes, so have met a few people there, and they both have associated facebook groups. We're also doing the typical middle class parent thing and going to NCT in order to meet some people having babies at the same time as us.

Anonymous
What happened? Did you get it checked out?

Yes, went along to antenatal assessment unit and they did BP/urine/Doppler checks, all fine, so think it's just the heat and being on my feet too much. Only one long day to go (plus 4 weeks of normal days!)
Grrr, anon fail above.
Original post by Anonymous
Congratulations and welcome! Hope the first trimester grimness fades soon. We don't really know anybody in our current area either, though our parents are much closer than yours. I've been going to aqua natal and pregnancy yoga classes, so have met a few people there, and they both have associated facebook groups. We're also doing the typical middle class parent thing and going to NCT in order to meet some people having babies at the same time as us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Yes, I think we will be doing similarly. I've joined a few groups on Meetups , so hopefully something will come of that. I think the equivalent of NCT classes here (I'm in the US) are not as ongoing: our hospital seems to offer day long courses and ones that are only 3 sessions. So, am not sure that will be the most useful for friend-making. We are looking at some interfaith family courses instead that run for a couple of months, and which will also be useful since we have some decisions to make on that front.
Original post by madamemerle
Oooo, so glad to find this thread!I'm almost 14 weeks, due in Jan. I'm in the middle of writing my PhD thesis, so trying to get as much done as I can before the baby arrives. Unfortunately, the first trimester has set me a bit behind, since I've been absolutely exhausted and nauseous all the time. Have been feeling loads better for the last week, though, so need to get on with it!This is my first baby, and I'm so far away from home...my husband and I are both 3,000 miles from our families, and we don't have much of a support network where we live, other than friends without kids. So, I suspect that will be the most difficult aspect of new parenthood for us.

Welcome :smile:

What is your phd on?
Original post by randdom
Welcome :smile:

What is your phd on?

Thanks!

It's on the ways that popular culture responded to and critiqued large scale postwar urban development projects, eg in US the development of the Interstate highway system, surburbanization etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sleep "coaching" 3 month old twins is exhausting... Decided only sleeping being cuddled isn't exactly sustainable & they weren't sleeping very well interruptions for swaps for me to feed/do stuff etc. So it is for the greater good & they're happier already for having better daytime naps but never holding a sleeping baby feels a bit mean & sad!

Also don't know how compatible decent naps are with exclusive breastfeeding? It does rather widen the intervals so will need to set an alarm to wake for 6th/middle of the night feed...
What do health visitors actually do on their first visit? Mine is coming tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'm expected to have the nursery all set up for inspection (lol not happening, the crib is still at my parents' and we might be moving house before the baby arrive) or is it just a general chat? Fortunately the house is tidy enough as I had visitors this weekend!
Original post by Helenia
What do health visitors actually do on their first visit? Mine is coming tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'm expected to have the nursery all set up for inspection (lol not happening, the crib is still at my parents' and we might be moving house before the baby arrive) or is it just a general chat? Fortunately the house is tidy enough as I had visitors this weekend!

Mine just sat in our living room and chatted through the services that were available. She didn't ask to see the nursery or anything like that. The whole thing was pointless as it was a locum health visitor who I never saw again but reasonable unobtrusive
Original post by randdom
Mine just sat in our living room and chatted through the services that were available. She didn't ask to see the nursery or anything like that. The whole thing was pointless as it was a locum health visitor who I never saw again but reasonable unobtrusive

Oh good, this sounds like a productive use of my time. Especially as we're hoping to move either shortly before or just after the baby is born, so will be getting new GPs and therefore be on another "patch" for community MWs/HVs. I will miss my community MW though, she is fab!
Officially "term" (well, 37/40) today! And my last day of work, I'm going to miss it but have found the last few weeks very tiring so I think it's the right time. One of my consultants has given me a big bag of really nice second-hand clothes, which along with my eBay/facebook shopping and H's Bicester Village trip means we're totally overloaded with clothes up to about 6 months!
Hope you don't have to wait too long now Helenia.

I have had a baby girl. Violet is now 11 days old and whilst life is a whirlwind of breastfeeding, nappy changing and milky cuddles, I have loved every moment of it. We had a hairy start when Violet had to spend her first three days in special care but she is absolutely thriving now.
Original post by memifer

I have had a baby girl. Violet is now 11 days old and whilst life is a whirlwind of breastfeeding, nappy changing and milky cuddles, I have loved every moment of it. We had a hairy start when Violet had to spend her first three days in special care but she is absolutely thriving now.

Congratulations! She's gorgeous, sorry you had to start out in SCBU but delighted you're home now. Hope you are settling in ok.

Your sig still says you're pregnant, btw :wink:
Original post by Helenia
Officially "term" (well, 37/40) today! And my last day of work, I'm going to miss it but have found the last few weeks very tiring so I think it's the right time. One of my consultants has given me a big bag of really nice second-hand clothes, which along with my eBay/facebook shopping and H's Bicester Village trip means we're totally overloaded with clothes up to about 6 months!

Not long! I will remember to get you 6-9 months then.

Hope that this period before the baby arrives is restful but also not too long!

Original post by memifer

Congratulations she is beautiful!
Original post by randdom
Not long! I will remember to get you 6-9 months then.

Hope that this period before the baby arrives is restful but also not too long!

I'd like to get to September, just for the sake of not being the youngest in the school year - though this is more important to Mr Helenia (October birthday) than me (June and I think I've done ok overall!) But after that, any time is good! Keeping a nervous eye on the anaesthetic on-call rota as I definitely have a few preferences if I need their attention...
Original post by Helenia
I'd like to get to September, just for the sake of not being the youngest in the school year - though this is more important to Mr Helenia (October birthday) than me (June and I think I've done ok overall!) But after that, any time is good! Keeping a nervous eye on the anaesthetic on-call rota as I definitely have a few preferences if I need their attention...

Isaac is a June baby, I did worry about it initially and then remembered that my brother is June and doing a PHD and two of my best friends from medical school are August babies!
I'm a June baby too!

Congratulations, Memifer.

I'm still in baby x2 whirlwind & not exactly enjoying every minute as it's so much multitasking & feel that my life is a constant SJT prioritizing exercise with family guilt! :facepalm:
Original post by Elles
I'm a June baby too!

Congratulations, Memifer.

I'm still in baby x2 whirlwind & not exactly enjoying every minute as it's so much multitasking & feel that my life is a constant SJT prioritizing exercise with family guilt! :facepalm:

I genuinely think that you must be a superwoman.

I can't cope with the one toddler that I have!
Original post by randdom
I genuinely think that you must be a superwoman.

I can't cope with the one toddler that I have!

:ditto:

One baby is plenty for me!! Especially now he's crawling and creating chaos... And still not sleeping through the night because he's constantly teething!

I'm back at work now, have so far managed to keep breastfeeding and fit in 2-3 pumps while I'm at work so all going well at the moment! Poor hubby enjoying the teething monster a bit less having to look after him all day though!!
Aww violet is beautiful.

One of my friends has 2 week old twins and a two year old, yet stilll looks bloody amazing.. So envious!

Im 33+2, absolutely flying by and finish work next week. Chelsea-grace is absolutely exhausting!*

Quick Reply

Latest