The Student Room Group

AQA AS LEVEL PRODUCT DESIGN (3D Design)

Hi all.
I'd like to know if anyone is in the same boat regarding their grade for AS Level Product Design this year.
After getting 82/90 (Grade A) on the coursework side (PROD2), my whole class were shocked to see that we had all achieved U's on the PROD1 paper. This resulted in us achieving some pretty rubbish grades overall.
With predicted grades amongst some of the top grades, we were absolutely baffled by the results we saw on our grade sheets.I'd like to know if anyone else is the same. We all felt that the exam was fairly straightforward and were all prepared for it but had a huge shock of results day.
I'll be personally looking into what went wrong and how we all managed to do so badly.
If there is anyone taking the course that has any more information on how you did, that would be great.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi there, I had exactly the same issue! I achieved an A in my PROD 2 coursework as well, however, I was also really shocked to see I had got 50 UMS (Just in a D Grade) in my PROD 1 paper, averaging my overall grade out to a C!!
My DT teacher is having the paper moderated and I am also requesting to see my paper!
Glad to know someone has the same issue as we were starting to worry...
Reply 2
Original post by kieren98
Hi there, I had exactly the same issue! I achieved an A in my PROD 2 coursework as well, however, I was also really shocked to see I had got 50 UMS (Just in a D Grade) in my PROD 1 paper, averaging my overall grade out to a C!!
My DT teacher is having the paper moderated and I am also requesting to see my paper!
Glad to know someone has the same issue as we were starting to worry...

I got 74 UMS but the rest of my class got around the same marks of 50 UMS. I hope you understand that 50 UMS works out as 50/80 on the test as the AQA website has this information and my technology teacher said that this is not necesarily a bad mark its just because the grade boundaries are high for getting a C in the test but did you know in that paper that you only needed 74/80 to get full marks. I hope you are not disheartened by your grade and also the garde boundaries for the A2 paper is usually 55/80 to get an A.
Original post by _Christopher
Hi all.
I'd like to know if anyone is in the same boat regarding their grade for AS Level Product Design this year.
After getting 82/90 (Grade A) on the coursework side (PROD2), my whole class were shocked to see that we had all achieved U's on the PROD1 paper. This resulted in us achieving some pretty rubbish grades overall.
With predicted grades amongst some of the top grades, we were absolutely baffled by the results we saw on our grade sheets.I'd like to know if anyone else is the same. We all felt that the exam was fairly straightforward and were all prepared for it but had a huge shock of results day.
I'll be personally looking into what went wrong and how we all managed to do so badly.
If there is anyone taking the course that has any more information on how you did, that would be great.

Sorry this is late but if you dont mind me asking, what exam board are you on because I suffered exactly the same with my coursework being 1 ums off an A but my paper being 60 ums (C) before remarking to take it up to 68. Also do you have any clue on how to rectify this as I am re-sitting as well.
Hi all!
I'm resitting this exam in attempt to get higher than I got last year. Got 68 UMS which is a high C, but every little helps. I want to aim higher for a solid B grade on it so that I can hopefully make up in my coursework, I'm a bit stressed out about not having my final coursework mark in yet.
any bets for what is coming up in the AS exam?
Original post by will.big.boy
any bets for what is coming up in the AS exam?

My teacher told me that he thinks that possible one off hardwood chairs maybe on the paper. So I'm going over steam bending, cnc latheing, and laminating
Does anyone know where I can get A2 past papers from. There is so little on the AQA website

Quick Reply

Latest