The Student Room Group

Help with laptop choice

Hi!
I currently have a laptop, which I've only had for a year, however lately it's been slow and keeps disconnecting randomly from the internet. Having checked this out, it's neither a virus or my internet connection.

Either way, I'm looking into the possibility of purchasing another laptop.

This is where I need your help as I'm useless when it comes to specs and stuff.

I've been looking at the HP spectre and Macbook Pro - Help?

I don't game, but I'm very good at having tons of tabs open at the same time. Priority is speed!
Reply 1
Original post by A-LJLB
Hi!
I currently have a laptop, which I've only had for a year, however lately it's been slow and keeps disconnecting randomly from the internet. Having checked this out, it's neither a virus or my internet connection.

I don't game, but I'm very good at having tons of tabs open at the same time. Priority is speed!

I recommend you get the dell xps 13. Its a very capable laptop spec wise and also sexy at the same time (it has virtually no bezels so its smaller than other 13 inch laptops whilst keeping the same screen size). Assuming you have unidays, you can get them for £705 off dell but i reccomend you getting the 256gb ssd and 8gb ram version which is £806 with discount.
Original post by pusha a
I recommend you get the dell xps 13. Its a very capable laptop spec wise and also sexy at the same time (it has virtually no bezels so its smaller than other 13 inch laptops whilst keeping the same screen size). Assuming you have unidays, you can get them for £705 off dell but i reccomend you getting the 256gb ssd and 8gb ram version which is £806 with discount.

I had looked at it

I don't know, there are a number of things putting my off it - for one, I don't like the brand Dell, and for me I just don't like the style of it
I know the spec is meant to be good but... :dontknow:
Reply 3
Original post by A-LJLB
I had looked at it

I don't know, there are a number of things putting my off it - for one, I don't like the brand Dell, and for me I just don't like the style of it
I know the spec is meant to be good but... :dontknow:

Fair enough, everyones got their own needs. From the laptops you listed I assume portability is a factor in your decision, the xps is probably the best balance between power and portability on the market. Dell is a very good brand, may i ask what is it you dont like about it?
Original post by pusha a
Fair enough, everyones got their own needs. From the laptops you listed I assume portability is a factor in your decision, the xps is probably the best balance between power and portability on the market. Dell is a very good brand, may i ask what is it you dont like about it?

Honestly, I have no personal bad experience with the brand as I've never owned one. However, my uncle is *extremely* techy and works with computers, and he doesn't recommend it, and my mother has also had one and says to avoid the brand - weird how you have a completely different opinion haha!
Reply 5
Original post by A-LJLB
Honestly, I have no personal bad experience with the brand as I've never owned one. However, my uncle is *extremely* techy and works with computers, and he doesn't recommend it, and my mother has also had one and says to avoid the brand - weird how you have a completely different opinion haha!

Hahaha fair enough, imo dell is a fantastic brand, i dont know whats happened with them in the past but its wrong to judge a machine solely by its name. Me personally I bought my xps 13 a month ago having also been skeptical about it considering whats out there with it but I can say now its one of the best decisions I have made. Its such a useful and innovative piece of tech, even two of my mates who own macs are currently looking to sell them to get the xps.

If i were you id consider watching some reviews/showdowns against other laptops on youtube, they were extremely useful to me in buying my xps. You can make your own decisions from them but nine times out of ten the xps is right up there :wink:
HP ALL THE WAY! It's a great brand and very durable and strong, like the Dell. But Go for Mac if you have the funds cause it won't let ya down.
Original post by A-LJLB
Hi!

Hi,
I have a HP Stream 11 very affordable - £179
I bought it to be apple to do my school work, so essays, powerpoints etc but I also do editing vids and graphic designing on the side and I still have space on this laptop. Its fast even though it is small. I literally take it everywhere with me, if you are looking for something cheap that can do work plus other things I recommend getting this laptop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending